Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Little bit surprised by the love for Barass and Gov yesterday. Saw plenty of ball as the ball was in their area all day but I though Barrass was made look silly by Hogan most of the day. If Hogan had of kicked straight he walks away with 5 plus.
That both Barrass and Gov still don't play on a player just shows that the players are still running Simpson instead of Simpson running them. Twice I watched their forwards run past them to lead up and take a mark and both times they stood there with their hands on their hips thinking it is someone else's fault.
Yes we saw both players a lot but i am not going to give credit to players who won't pick up their man anymore. It's not the right path forward and has not been for the last 4 years yet we are still guarding space.

Barrass made much better decisions about spoiling vs marking. He was a lot better than last week.

Issues with the structural stuff can't really be placed at the players feet. They are (generally) where the coaching staff want them to be. I agree that we haven't been getting it right in the back half for quite some time. I just don't understand how we can have loose opponents everywhere and then if we win the football we have no-one in space to transition the ball through. Admittedly we have shown some improved ball movement signs...just a lot more work to do to get that where we need it.

Barrass made much better decisions about spoiling vs marking. He was a lot better than last week.

Issues with the structural stuff can't really be placed at the players feet. They are (generally) where the coaching staff want them to be. I agree that we haven't been getting it right in the back half for quite some time. I just don't understand how we can have loose opponents everywhere and then if we win the football we have no-one in space to transition the ball through. Admittedly we have shown some improved ball movement signs...just a lot more work to do to get that where we need it.

Agree with this. He showed alot of competitiveness and intent that seemed to be lacking last week, particularly in the first half against Dixon where he was lame and got monstered.

Barrass was flying for spoils and marks and halved a lot of contests. He really only slacked off once where he let Hogan get a lead on him.

Little bit surprised by the love for Barass and Gov yesterday. Saw plenty of ball as the ball was in their area all day but I though Barrass was made look silly by Hogan most of the day. If Hogan had of kicked straight he walks away with 5 plus.
That both Barrass and Gov still don't play on a player just shows that the players are still running Simpson instead of Simpson running them. Twice I watched their forwards run past them to lead up and take a mark and both times they stood there with their hands on their hips thinking it is someone else's fault.
Yes we saw both players a lot but i am not going to give credit to players who won't pick up their man anymore. It's not the right path forward and has not been for the last 4 years yet we are still guarding space.

Some of those Hogan marks were taken when Jamieson was on him. Jamieson is OK when the ball is coming in long but he looked lost yesterday when his opponent was on a lead. Either he isn't able to keep up with them or he can't work out where they'll lead to/react when they go.

Actually watched Hogan closely yesterday. If there was a neutral ball on our half forward line he'd be waiting between the centre square and the 50 for the quick break and pass over the top. Barrass would hold his position in the defensive set up, near the centre circle.

If there was a neutral ball in our F50, he'd play 5-10m in front of Barrass, presumably to contest any get-out-of-jail kicks out of our forward line.

This is an incorrect take away imo. Both were very solid yesterday considering we conceded 67 i50s and the quality of ball that comes in from a great side like GWS. Of course Hogan could have had 5. I thought these two did a great job despite the barrage

Briggs is a bloody good ruck. Remember he only got a game because Flynn got injured, next thing you know we get Flynn as Briggs overtook him.

If not for crappy turnovers, particularly when we were on the charge going forward, scoreline wouldn't have looked so bad.
As skills under pressure and on the run improve these turnovers will get less and less and instead of scores against we will start scoring ourselves from these movement chains.

We are a decent ruck, Ryan, Oallen and about 12 months from being competitive against the better teams unfortunately.

Looks like getting losses under the 10 goal margin against the top teams and trying to scrape a few wins against the bottom teams is probably the the most realistic goal we can have this year.

Was impressed with Jamo's efforts and can see him being a very good player for us.
Reid in a year or 2 is just going to be..............anything.
Ginbey looked better this week and as his confidence grows he will improve week to week.
JJ, yes he turned it over a few times but wasn't alone. Need to give him a few games in a row to get some touch and confidence. Didn't really make bad decisions just bad execution at times.
Brockman looking like a good get.
Hunt a steal.

Yep, keep on the half back line where he can see the ground ahead of him.
Not sure that's right. Last year and even last week his turnovers from the backline resulted in goals to the opposition. If he stuffs up a kick or fumbles in the backline it's invariably a goal. The answer of course is to tidy up disposal not shift him as he does have skils

Williams likely isn't good enough to ever lead a ruck division. So if he's going to progress his career beyond being a backup, he's going to need to carve a space for himself elsewhere (i.e. part time forward) - that'll take some persistence in development.

Totally disagree.
He got better as the year went on in 2023 and played extremely well as our ruck. Was timing his jumps in the ruck, following up at ground level when the ball hit the deck, and was actually marking very well too.

Yesterday as a forward he looked like his pre-2023 self, but when he went into the ruck when Barnett was subbed out started getting involved more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ Good to see new CEO Don Pyke wander through the River Room pre-game smiling and saying G'day to members.
Whilst not a Nisbet basher, I cannot recall ever seeing him mingle with the masses.

River room isn't 'the masses' you yuppy private school son of a bitch

Mad Arthur GIF by MOODMAN

Best my seats ever got was the occasional loaf of bread 🍞

Totally disagree.
He got better as the year went on in 2023 and played extremely well as our ruck. Was timing his jumps in the ruck, following up at ground level when the ball hit the deck, and was actually marking very well too.

Yesterday as a forward he looked like his pre-2023 self, but when he went into the ruck when Barnett was subbed out started getting involved more.
People forget that Williams is only about to enter his prime as a ruck. He showed me enough last year that he can be a serviceable B grade ruck for his career. I'd prefer if that's what we turn him into. He has only played 51 games.

He can float forward from time to time as the final part of his development.

This was one of them games that was so close to being quite satisfying to watch. Some of the seniors played so well, some kids played really well. Ultimately basic skill errors not only cost us a closer game but also walking a way being satisfied by the game it self.

People forget that Williams is only about to enter his prime as a ruck. He showed me enough last year that he can be a serviceable B grade ruck for his career. I'd prefer if that's what we turn him into. He has only played 51 games.

He can float forward from time to time as the final part of his development.
I’ve done a full 180 on Williams but even then I don’t think he’ll be nothing but a tweener. I think at best he’ll be that player we always wished having as anic Nats partner all those years ago. We’ll see his best when we start pushing up the ladder and we also have a decent main ruckmen.

Commitment was good, but were let down horribly by skill errors. Defenders were pretty good; McGovern, Barrass, Hough, Cole. Waterman worked hard but kicked poorly for goal, which is unlike him. Reid living up to the hype. Would like him to play wing when Sheed comes back, looks like being in the middle is too physically demanding at the moment, two great opening quarters then trailing off.

Not sure about the praise here for Chesser and Darling, thought both were ordinary. Williams will never be a forward, has no sense of how to play there and had his worst game when rucking ever. Must have been a team strategy to let Sam Taylor play his own game, couldn't keep the smile off his face.

When Ryan comes back I'd like to see him at full forward with instructions to stay deep. That's the position he got recruited from and most defenders would be wary of being one out with him in lots of space. Currently we pose no questions to the opposition who can play purely to their game plan with no concern about what we might do. We need to make other teams worry about something, anything.

Last edited:
Noah Long is too smart and too skilled to be wasting away up forward this season. Cole has had a pretty horrible start to the season. Looked rusty and out of touch in the preseason games and that has followed through to the season proper.

Could we throw Long back to get the footy in his hands a bit more? He might fit into that Caleb Daniel distributor role.

Drop Cole or throw him up forward to do the unrewarded running.

Most pleasing 65pt drubbing I have seen. Did so much of the hard work and had it fall apart due to a lack of polish. Thought the umps were pretty average as well, and had their say in killing our momentum. I miss the old days of downhill skiing, getting the rub of the green, national sports media calling for enquiries into crowd influence on umps. Good times. We'll be back there before too long!

Noah Long is too smart and too skilled to be wasting away up forward this season. Cole has had a pretty horrible start to the season. Looked rusty and out of touch in the preseason games and that has followed through to the season proper.

Could we throw Long back to get the footy in his hands a bit more? He might fit into that Caleb Daniel distributor role.

Most pleasing 65pt drubbing I have seen. Did so much of the hard work and had it fall apart due to a lack of polish. Thought the umps were pretty average as well, and had their say in killing our momentum. I miss the old days of downhill skiing, getting the rub of the green, national sports media calling for enquiries into crowd influence on umps. Good times. We'll be back there before too long!

Long spent a fair amount of centre bounces starting on the wing. Looks like he got majority of Ginbey’s wing minutes from last week.

Don’t mind this.

Cole dropped
Long HB
JJ forward

+ Good to see new CEO Don Pyke wander through the River Room pre-game smiling and saying G'day to members.
Whilst not a Nisbet basher, I cannot recall ever seeing him mingle with the masses.
* yes, stunt on these hoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back