Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
Reid showing hype was justified. Playing well in the midfield, not hidden away on a flank like a lot of kids are, and looking every bit a senior player.

Ginbey came into the game when he stopped hunting the player and started hunting the ball.

Some of the ball movement through the middle was great. Hoping to see more as the year goes on.

Gov still as good a footballer as ever, as long as his body doesn't break down.

Ditto Yeo.

Negatives.
Cole sucked.

JJ even worse.

Duggan needs to play within himself to stop those horrible turnovers. Some of his disposal is shocking when he tries kicks which are beyond him.

Some of our defensive running was half arsed, expecting the GWS player to always have clean pickup/disposal. Then when they fumbled, we were just those 2 steps too far away to apply pressure. Need to go 100%, we're too s**t to go half arsed.

Kingsley in his presser was very good and respectful but this was in there too:

“Yeah I watched the footage on last years round 2 when they dominated us, we didn’t know how they were gonna setup today. But it was basically exactly the same as last year so we took advantage of that”

Which might be worth thinking about for those both pro and anti Simmo :)

Kingsley in his presser was very good and respectful but this was in there too:

“Yeah I watched the footage on last years round 2 when they dominated us, we didn’t know how they were gonna setup today. But it was basically exactly the same as last year so we took advantage of that”

Which might be worth thinking about for those both pro and anti Simmo :)
That's interesting.

For the chat of how improved we are we still a) can't defend on transition and b) really struggle with ball movement on the rebound.

We either chip it around or, when we do try to run and gun, we run ourselves into trouble or miss kicks with poor skill execution.

Maybe it's because we aren't fit enough? But surely we've known that problem for long enough to rectify it by now.

The effort is there and obviously there needs to be a degree of patience, but it was very frustrating! At least our clearance/contested game seems to be moving in the right direction, from the eye test at least. Yeo helps there for sure.

That's interesting.

For the chat of how improved we are we still a) can't defend on transition and b) really struggle with ball movement on the rebound.

We either chip it around or, when we do try to run and gun, we run ourselves into trouble or miss kicks with poor skill execution.

Maybe it's because we aren't fit enough? But surely we've known that problem for long enough to rectify it by now.

The effort is there and obviously there needs to be a degree of patience, but it was very frustrating! At least our clearance/contested game seems to be moving in the right direction, from the eye test at least. Yeo helps there for sure.
Had a lot more senior players in the game last year, as it was before the derby.

More kids this year = running out of puff late in quarters, which coincided with most of their goals.

Positives
+ Gov was awesome. Saved us so many times. Great to see him back to his best. Marking, spoiling and taking the game on by foot.

+ Reid showing some real positives. Looks to take the game on by going forward and isn’t stagnant like 18/23 players we pick.

+ Petrucelle just a solid game by him

+ Hough. Was solid down back. Need him (and others) to do more of that mark and go like he did in the last quarter. It opens the game up.

+ Hunt been such a positive player since he arrived at the club. Attacks by going forward.

+ Yeo back to his best (for 3 out of 4 quarters). Love to see it.

Negatives
- Cole was shocking today. Weak and his kicking is a liability.

- Barrass. I’m surprised people had him in the positives. He has got to stop playing so loose. He’s better when he is more accountable. He Continually gets caught in the wrong spot, spoiled teammates often. Thought Hogan gave him a bath.

- Ginbey’s skills are a concern.

- goal kicking

- forward half turnovers

You can rectify general fitness fairly easily, the issue is going from a good base to being elite in a professional sense.

So many on our list particularly youngsters are at the beginning of this grind. It’s going to take time ( multiple pre seasons) for Reid and Co to be able to match the run that other elite players that have been in the afl system for years can do.
We had several players (1/3 of the team) again on the weekend that are in the early stages of there careers and they will get tired late in quarters and the game.

It’s why we get scored against heavily late in quarters and the margin blows out after half time.

Positives:

• Some Vets played well;
  • Hough;
  • Ginbey (yes I know the disposal was ordinary);
  • Reid;
  • Hunt;
  • Barnett - shouldn't be near an AFL oval at his stage of development but you can see he has the smarts to make it;
  • Waterman = limited, but at least he gives his all;
  • Another game towards everyone finally hitting the 5th stage:
Negatives:

• Some Vets played well and we got flogged;
  • Duggan/Cole (wasn't that long ago we were waxing lyrical about all the 1/2 backs we had);
  • No skills, no confidence and dare say, average coaching;
  • Jed Walters isn't ours.

You can rectify general fitness fairly easily, the issue is going from a good base to being elite in a professional sense.

So many on our list particularly youngsters are at the beginning of this grind. It’s going to take time ( multiple pre seasons) for Reid and Co to be able to match the run that other elite players that have been in the afl system for years can do.
We had several players (1/3 of the team) again on the weekend that are in the early stages of there careers and they will get tired late in quarters and the game.

It’s why we get scored against heavily late in quarters and the margin blows out after half time.
Its a multi year process, build preseason, get through the season, build the next pre season.etc. Each year strengthens the foundation to work from. This also applies to older players who have had injured seasons to a fair extent.

First time sitting in my permanent seat.
The seats great but the people around me are a bit odd.

Dont say thanks when you have to stand to allow them to pass.

The bloke a few seats away may be one of the more pessimistic posters here. Short angry dude calling the players useless and hopeless alot, who left at 3QT.

The lady infront of me had to severely rely on holding the seat infront and her own for assistance to get up and sit down. Ive never seen so much flex in those seats before, kept loosing half my beer.

The average age of the supporters around me is a good 30yrs older than me ..and im in my late 30's. One poor lady stacked it and split the back of her head at 3QT.

The bloke a few seats away may be one of the more pessimistic posters here. Short angry dude calling the players useless and hopeless alot, who left at 3QT.

The lady infront of me had to severely rely on holding the seat infront and her own for assistance to get up and sit down. Ive never seen so much flex in those seats before, kept loosing half my beer.

The average age of the supporters around me is a good 30yrs older than me ..and im in my late 30's. One poor lady stacked it and split the back of her head at 3QT.
It’s pretty similar where I sit.

Positives
Ginbey
Barrass
Mcgovern
Hunt
Waterman
Chesser
Cripps

Negatives
Our ruckman were destroyed, Williams is not a afl player, Barnett is still raw

Our ineffective forward line- Darling and long did nothing all game

Senior midfielders Yeo and Kelly disappeared when GWS got on top. They need to stay in the contest for longer

Too many turnovers and our game plan of pressing high up the field with all 22 players. leaves us vulnerable to the counter attack by the opposition, especially if they are quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like some more seats should free up when we actually have a close game.

I do think the one benefit of us going through a period of utter rubbishness is that their might finally be some turnover in the seated membership base.

In the preseason I repeatedly questioned our approach to turning B Williams into a forward.

Was shot down by multiple folk here saying it was a logical move.

Williams has never been known for his forward craft or marking abilities.

Now we have sacrificed the one strength in his game (ruck/clearance craft) to try to develop these.

Crazy stuff.

In the preseason I repeatedly questioned our approach to turning B Williams into a forward.

Now we have sacrificed the one strength in his game (ruck/clearance craft) to try to develop these.

Crazy stuff.
I thinks it's very short term as we try kids for exposure.

Whilst the ruck was a massive loss yesterday and a glaring hole in our structure I am hesitant to reflex straight into the "Get ENglish" camp until we give Flynn and good run.

Our KP depth is telling at both ends:

Allen is gold, Maric is an unknown, Darling is cooked and Jack Williams / Archer Reid are raw.

In 2-3 years worst could be just Allen.

Gov is in twilight, Barrass is gold, then we fall away significantly. Bazzo still raw.

In 2-3 years worst case is an aged Barrass.

It would be madness to have a capable No 1 ruck (Flynn) sitting in the 2's behind English in 2-3 years and no depth at either end.

Also....

If we are to be as ruthless as we need to be to come back, we need to be thinking about things like PSD Pick 1 now.

Busslinger looks a perfect target for this exercise. Throw the blank cheque at him now.

Crazy stuff.
Williams likely isn't good enough to ever lead a ruck division. So if he's going to progress his career beyond being a backup, he's going to need to carve a space for himself elsewhere (i.e. part time forward) - that'll take some persistence in development.

Haven’t read this all back, but Duggo was great in this game. Ginbey I absolutely loved too, worked into it beautifully and his best game for us, is very good at being a cog that drives us forward. Very effective yesterday, and already bigger than most opponents

DUGGAN PLAYED A MUCH, MUCH BETTER GAME THIS WEEK. THAT LEVEL NEEDS TO BE HIS BASELINE AS A SENIOR PLAYER AND CAPTAIN.

DUGGAN PLAYED A MUCH, MUCH BETTER GAME THIS WEEK. THAT LEVEL NEEDS TO BE HIS BASELINE AS A SENIOR PLAYER AND CAPTAIN.
Look mate we all know how passionately you feel when it comes to discussing Duggan but there's no need for the yelling.

Little bit surprised by the love for Barass and Gov yesterday. Saw plenty of ball as the ball was in their area all day but I though Barrass was made look silly by Hogan most of the day. If Hogan had of kicked straight he walks away with 5 plus.
That both Barrass and Gov still don't play on a player just shows that the players are still running Simpson instead of Simpson running them. Twice I watched their forwards run past them to lead up and take a mark and both times they stood there with their hands on their hips thinking it is someone else's fault.
Yes we saw both players a lot but i am not going to give credit to players who won't pick up their man anymore. It's not the right path forward and has not been for the last 4 years yet we are still guarding space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back