Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling was just as bad as Gaff but you cant sub 2 players, he couldn't keep his feet he also has to be dropped. From here on its has to be youth only, only guy . Mcgovern & Yeo only veterans i would keep in the team.
Dropping Gaff sends a message to some of the senior players who might take it for granted that they might get a game in the seniors.
Last year we had no depth and Baker and Dewer were not ready but this year we do have some options.

To be fair to Duggan, at least he gets on the park and has a crack.

I do think Shuey was the worst captain we've ever had, mostly due to the fact he wasn't around ever due to being injured, and since Hurn passed the baton to him the club sunk to its lowest depths of all time.
Was talking talent wise. You can be an average player and be a good captain. Unfortunately Duggan won’t see his captaincy out as the team climbs up the ladder

You think leadership cannot be proven prior to being made captain? I would say Shuey has proven to be one of our best ever leaders which for mine would automatically disqualify him from being our worst captain.

Note you didn’t say he had the worst period as captain, you said he was our worst captain.

I'm not sure Shuey rates up there with the best ever Captains of WC.

I have at least 7 in front of him out of 13 with the Jury out on OA.

1710805345658.png

Was talking talent wise. You can be an average player and be a good captain. Unfortunately Duggan won’t see his captaincy out as the team climbs up the ladder

On talent alone, Jarryn Geary, Tom Jonas, Nick Maxwell (yikes) are all potato players with less than Duggan that were good captains at times 🤷‍♂️

Josh Trengrove. Hell even David Swallow is an incredibly average footballer.

I don't rate Duggan but he's defo not the least talented captain ever IMO.

We should still fold the club regardless.

On talent alone, Jarryn Geary, Tom Jonas, Nick Maxwell (yikes) are all potato players with less than Duggan that were good captains at times 🤷‍♂️

Josh Trengrove. Hell even David Swallow is an incredibly average footballer.

I don't rate Duggan but he's defo not the least talented captain ever IMO.

We should still fold the club regardless.
I said club history bruv

The biggest negative was the ease of them moving the ball out of our forward line, it was the same in the practice match against Freo.
Every time we kicked a point or turned it over it was straight up the other end for a score.
If we allow that this week, we will get smashed against the Giants.
I know it's old school but if we kick a point I want all of our players to man up, no easy first kick, make them work for it.
If you have to stand off after that fine, but no more easy kick out.
The problem is at the moment we give them the easy first kick, then the easy second kick, then third then score.

Only changes I would make would be JJ in for Witherden, but won't happen think Witherden is a favourite and Gaff out Chesser starting.
I think we should give Loch Rawlinson a crack, we need his speed and tackling pressure more than anything in our forward line.

I think we should give Loch Rawlinson a crack, we need his speed and tackling pressure more than anything in our forward line.
He’s not ready for a full AFL game. Maybe as a sub. He played well in the first quarter on Saturday and in my opinion best on ground till that point. But looked gassed by the end of the first and really had little impact for the rest of the game.

He’s not ready for a full AFL game. Maybe as a sub. He played well in the first quarter on Saturday and in my opinion best on ground till that point. But looked gassed by the end of the first and really had little impact for the rest of the game.
Was he playing forward all game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let Ginbey run with Tom Green all day. That would be the ceiling for me. That exact bloke you're next to all day Sunday. Show us something that makes us feel you could be amongst that category in the future. When your teammates make public comment that your pre-season mimics that of a younger version of that bloke, needs to be the bar.

Let Ginbey run with Tom Green all day. That would be the ceiling for me. That exact bloke you're next to all day Sunday. Show us something that makes us feel you could be amongst that category in the future. When your teammates make public comment that your pre-season mimics that of a younger version of that bloke, needs to be the bar.
Ok but Green's 23, so Ginbey has probably 3 more years to get to that stage...

Ok but Green's 23, so Ginbey has probably 3 more years to get to that stage...
Yes, he needs to produce a par performance to Green on Sunday. Stat for Stat. :rolleyes: I'm just saying a perfect opportunity to announce himself.

Where would that be though? A slow aged plodder? Aren't we trying to transition away from that?
Maybe bring out the gatorade at half time? He actually looks too cooked to play Wafl?
He's not getting my job - official halftime orange slice man - I've got a long term contract!?
Leadership amongst a very young squad. In theory if he finds some sort of form he can come back when we inevitably have an injury.

Leadership amongst a very young squad. In theory if he finds some sort of form he can come back when we inevitably have an injury.
You're quite right of course, I was being a bit scathing. He obviously goes to Wafl where his main value would be leadership...and in theory if he's good enough to make his way back into the 22, then that's the way it's meant to work. (but tbh I'm still waiting for the Eagles without Gaff))

Positives
  • Chess showed he can play at the top level
  • Harley WILL be a superstar
  • Brockman had some nice touches
  • Waterman and Petch did pretty well
  • Gov played out the match after his knock - and did well
  • Gaff was subbed
  • the result was 70 points better than the thrashing we had there last year

Negatives
  • Oscar (hopefully just the after-effects of gastro)
  • Kelly went missing in the second half
  • Barrass mauled
  • Our game plan (or lack of) coming out from the back half
Campbell Chesser did ok with the ball when I saw him had it.

You forgot to mention Jack Petrucelle did good up forward. 3 goals and 2 behinds.

Brockman was solid. Him and Liam Ryan when fully fit can cause opposition sides problems up up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back