Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the most pessimistic fans in the entire league, yes we ******* suck but writing off players after 20 games is plain stupid.

These calls of us having no talent, or all our youngsters will never be more than solid are way too early.

Ginbey is in his second year, playing the hardest role in football and the majority of posters in here are saying he’ll never be anything more than solid.

Get a grip you soft utensils.

2 weeks ago campaigners were jizzing over Chesser now he’s a complete write off and Ginbey has no footy IQ and worst skills in the comp.

They’re low on confidence, have poor onfield leaders and coached by a lame duck coach who doesn’t seem to be able to extract effort from the group overall.

They’re digging in, things aren’t going their way, hopefully things will turn.

Our squad will actually regress over the next three years when we'll be trying to replace McGovern, Yeo, Darling and Gaff through the draft. That's multiple AA's and an elite goal kicker so good luck with that.

That's what pisses me off looking at the list Simmo inherited in 2014 and what a s**t show it is now. We had the makings of a dynasty. Starting with an embarrassment of key position riches on every line and easily the best forward line in our clubs history. Literally all we had to do was find and develop a couple more midfield, hard ball winners and manage the transitions as the older types moved on.

What we have now is Allen as the only next generation key position capable of dominating games of footy. We have no ruckman from having Nic, Cox and Lycett. No obvious replacement CHF, CHB or fullback once our aging incumbents move on, this from a position of once having multiples in each. Maybe I'm wrong but of the kids it's not obvious any of them are going to make it.

Then the midfield. How many freak'n draft selections did we throw at that problem for zero return? Through that whole era we end up with Yeo and Kelly as A grade additions and these were drafted and developed by others. Yes I rate Reid, Hewett and Gibney but they aren't Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley, Cox Fletcher, Jones level of sheer talent to make up for a coming forwardline crisis, not to mention no young Glass or Hunter sitting behind the footy.

Absolute s**t show.

We’re not getting anything out of Gaff at the moment. If Yeo can keep his body right he could have another 2 years, even if we move him to hb to preserve his body a bit. Given his time out of the game he might actually have a bit left in his tank.

We have the most pessimistic fans in the entire league, yes we ******* suck but writing off players after 20 games is plain stupid.

These calls of us having no talent, or all our youngsters will never be more than solid are way too early.

Ginbey is in his second year, playing the hardest role in football and the majority of posters in here are saying he’ll never be anything more than solid.

No offence but You come across as an arrogant khent.

This is a footy forum, people are entitled to their opinions, vent, blow their tit...whatever.

I love seeing it

We’re not getting anything out of Gaff at the moment. If Yeo can keep his body right he could have another 2 years, even if we move him to hb to preserve his body a bit.
Don't underestimate the career Gaff that has had. It's not a matter of replacing the output he has now, the challenge in a rebuild is to find a player capable of a long term output over a career.

We have the most optimistic fans in the entire league

We are literally about to become the worst team in AFL history and there is 175 posts of people who care with fans turning up clapping the 3 or 4 goals we might get to see like good obedient lil money machines

Not many sporting clubs in the world would be as weak and accepting as we are.

Ginbey being solid is not a insult to the guy. Solid is 200+ gamer. Maybe you are too much of a soft utensil on the idea that not every single player is a out and out superstar. The issue isnt with Ginbey being solid, its the fact we suck so badly we desperately need and want him to be more then he is. I have no issue with Ginbeys solidness

Its the Chesser, B.Williams, Maric, Edwards, JJ, Hough all taking a step back from the end of last year that is the major issue. Refusing to acknowledge it and ignoring this thread like its got a STD sums up how weak our fans truly are

I took a look and Norths version of this thead is 3x bigger at 540+ posts. What does that say about us lot exactly? Even Crows who are also 0-3 have 600+ posts also. We have more fans then all of them quite clearly too, so gotta ask why does this thread have such little posts and conversation in it?

• Edwards isnt AFL quality. It was a abysmal decision to go into the season without some more wingers to well play on the wing. Zac Fisher should have been chased harder. We should have went harder for guys like Jaxon Prior.

I disagree on Edwards but will point out that the team that sits 3 and O down the road has a newly recruited WA born 22yo wing going pretty well for them. Was as free as picking up money in the street but was deemed by the club not worthy of putting an offer to and also deemed by the majority of this board unable to break into our best 22 given the overwhelming amount of talent on hand in the 18-20 bracket.

Sadly the last place we want a player with suspect disposal is half back or deeper.

What are you talking about … it’s our whole backline who has suspect disposal along with a distinct lack of ability to defend anything other than space…

Even McGovern has two or three brain farts per game trying kicks he shouldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are you talking about … it’s our whole backline who has suspect disposal along with a distinct lack of ability to defend anything other than space…

Even McGovern has two or three brain farts per game trying kicks he shouldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The two points are in no way contradictory

Id play Ginbey like Collingwood were playing Daicos last year. Start the game at HB then in 2nd half in the guts full time. Infact Daicos has that similar issue to Ginbey. Seems to perform better after the intensity is taken out of the midfield in that defensive sense. I know things like tactics and player movement is foreign to us but it does happen at other clubs and maybe we should try do it too.

Yeo should start the game in the guts, then play HB after HT so we can get his gametime at a higher level. Ginbey should start at HB and move into the midfield when the game slows down. Not hard

As for his disposal we really dont have enough of a pool size to judge him given most of his kicks are just blind barrels forward to hack the ball into our 50 (something all of our players do) . I kind of feel like he is just middle of the road disposal wise. Not the best, not the worst. Not every HB needs to be a bullet passer, especially when we have McGovern who is good with the ball nearby also to take some pressure of that way

Agree, when you are this far back just recruit "best available" whatever position they are, and if we can happen to cluster picks in a particular part of the ground do that. Get the talent first then work out how best to leverage it after. Our three premiership eras have had completely different strategies and game plans and it would be a mistake to try manufacture a list for our next one. Concentrate on getting elite talent on the list.
Our squad is too unbalanced to go with best available in the draft without recruitng heavily. Its why we need to be picking up a minimum 3 players int he off season from other clubs, maybe more like 5 in reality as I think we probably need to find another midfielder

Id say 10 OUT and 10 IN is needed next year. If you have the worst team ever, then having the biggest cut ever is easily justified

As I said Ned Moyle, Jaxon Prior, Darcy Wilson would be 3 of my INS. Other 2 would be Liam Baker and Angus Sheldrick. Id be inclined to even go for 6 if we can talk someone in as a free agent

We have the most optimistic fans in the entire league

We are literally about to become the worst team in AFL history and there is 175 posts of people who care with fans turning up clapping the 3 or 4 goals we might get to see like good obedient lil money machines

Not many sporting clubs in the world would be as weak and accepting as we are.

Ginbey being solid is not a insult to the guy. Solid is 200+ gamer. Maybe you are too much of a soft utensil on the idea that not every single player is a out and out superstar. The issue isnt with Ginbey being solid, its the fact we suck so badly we desperately need and want him to be more then he is. I have no issue with Ginbeys solidness

Its the Chesser, B.Williams, Maric, Edwards, JJ, Hough all taking a step back from the end of last year that is the major issue. Refusing to acknowledge it and ignoring this thread like its got a STD sums up how weak our fans truly are

I took a look and Norths version of this thead is 3x bigger at 540+ posts. What does that say about us lot exactly? Even Crows who are also 0-3 have 600+ posts also. We have more fans then all of them quite clearly too, so gotta ask why does this thread have such little posts and conversation in it?

Maybe people don’t want to read unhinged rants and people making up stories to suit their agenda and or seek attention.

It is the Easter long weekend. Both North and Adelaide played on the Friday and both boards are comparatively bigger than ours.

In any case, it seems like the Simpson thread is the place to be and will be so until the change is made ☺️

2 weeks ago campaigners were jizzing over Chesser now he’s a complete write off and Ginbey has no footy IQ and worst skills in the comp.

They’re low on confidence, have poor onfield leaders and coached by a lame duck coach who doesn’t seem to be able to extract effort from the group overall.

They’re digging in, things aren’t going their way, hopefully things will turn.
Thats just blind hope. Our older players are leading the way quite well im afraid

If you are doing a top 5 B&F so far its

Yeo
McGovern
Kelly
Duggan
Hunt

If they were letting us down and not doing enough they wouldnt be 1-5 in B&F and racking up the ball.

I mean do you want to think about North Melbournes top 5 in their B&F at present and see what it really looks like and compare. They would have

Sheezel
Powell
LDU
Xerri
Larkey

All u25 for example and one over 100 games in that lot. They are a team who dont have older players doing there bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe people don’t want to read unhinged rants and people making up stories to suit their agenda and or seek attention.

It is the Easter long weekend. Both North and Adelaide played on the Friday and both boards are comparatively bigger than ours.

In any case, it seems like the Simpson thread is the place to be and will be so until the change is made ☺️
Is that true? Why is that? How is this board not bigger then North Melbournes?

Is that true? Why is that? How is this board not bigger then North Melbournes?

May well be wrong or no longer the case, but the North board (believe it or not!) is the biggest on the site in terms of users and total posts. I think it was because back in the day when Big Footy started, there were quite a few other fan forums for the various teams, but North didn’t have one of their own so they all came to BigFooty to start with.

Even now, quite a few clubs have other forums (Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda) come to mind.

I think Eaglesflyinghigh is still active? And I wonder if Dockerland is still going 😆

Positive was our numbers were good , apart from the one that really matters, the scoreboard. That's it.

Negatives too many to mention, but I will mention the worst.

Fumbles you see at an under 10s match, barely a player handled it cleanly. In one Dog's goal they had about 5 handballs in a row that lead to a goal. None of them hit the target perfectly, but they either scooped it up on the run or paddled it forward, but never lost control. By way of contrast we dropped about 5 sitter marks. This is basic stuff that when it's lacking cruels any effort being put in. The Dogs feasted on easy turnovers. And they walked the ball from defensive 50 to attacking 50 as though it was a training drill with no opponents. We had no method to counteract act what every team wants to do, move it from back to front bypassing the opposition. Was that a failure to follow team rules or ate there no team rules on how to stop that? I honestly can't tell.

I know Reid is 18 and just a kid but he’s right at the top of the totem pole as far as talent,skills,aggression, footy IQ, you name it!
He wants the ball,he’s not big headed,he just thrives on the contest.Give him the ball as much as possible.
He will single handedly lift the standards in this team.
We took a “once in a generation “ player!
Let’s treat him like one!

Allright I'm triggered and I'll behave.

Ginbey. He does not have a footy brain. He doesn't know where/ how to position himself and has terrible skills.

He may develop it and maybe its a 5 to 8 year plus proposition that'll bear fruit.

But you don't spend a top 10 pick on a project player.

Utter lunacy. He's projecting as a bust.

I know Reid is 18 and just a kid but he’s right at the top of the totem pole as far as talent,skills,aggression, footy IQ, you name it!
He wants the ball,he’s not big headed,he just thrives on the contest.Give him the ball as much as possible.
Couldn't like this enough.

Would love it if Hewett was fit. Reckon we could've seen some fun n games with these 2.

Get fit Hewie

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I keep hearing people say it will get better, certain posters have been saying it for the last few years. Obviously it will as it's impossible to go anywhere else but up.

The problem is the timeframe, our list appears a shambles and I can't see us pushing for the eight for years. Of course I could be wrong and we may shoot up the ladder sooner rather than later. But I just can't see it with this list, would love to be proven wrong but I'm extremely doubtful.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk
This isn't the list to make the 8? That list will be about 2+ more years of draft picks+trades. Our current seniors will mostly be gone...there's no guarantees about anything of course.

Last edited:
Massively overselling it and trying to grab onto something that isnt there. He looks great but he needs to find a better level of fitness. A huge part of that is our unprofessionalism as a club however but its still something he needs to take his game to a higher level

I think the idea he will win the rising star for example isnt there. He is well behind Wardlaw and Sanders in terms of current impact. He has shown flashes but so far he just looks to have been Eagled and we have taken his game down a notch with our insanely mediocre training standards

I have no doubt he has people in his ear already telling him to do a JHF. I dont think he will be happy to run around averaging 12 possessions a game from now til the end of the year for example when those around him are outperforming him stat wise. He will probably see the battle ahead, realise he has alternatives to being a part of it and also wanna do a JHF and leave.

The final half of the season will be a big decider id say. If we are still at the level we are at now and he is still unable to get the ball I think we will be talking trade packages come September

This isn't the list to make the 8? That list will be about 2+ more years of draft picks+trades. Our current seniors will mostly be gone...there's no guarantees about anything of course.
4+ years im afraid. Thats what it took Demons from there third year of that Neeld era. 4 years after that last year of finishing bottom 2 was when they finished 5th.

Given we are worse however 4 years would be that minimum. I expect its more of a 5-10 area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back