Kris Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Greeney

Senior List
May 23, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just reading the paper, and see Kris had 37 touches yesty...impressive...my question is...what`s his status at collingwood....rookie etc ?

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United, New York Knicks
No chance. Wouldn't cut it at AFL level.

You don't look for how much of the ball they get at VFL elvel, it's more what they manage to do with what they get.

15 possessions of brilliance>>>>35 possessions of solidness.

Greeney

Senior List
May 23, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No chance. Wouldn't cut it at VFL level.

You don't look for how much of the ball they get at VFL elvel, it's more what they manage to do with what they get.

15 possessions of brilliance>>>>35 possessions of solidness.

Your very astute smiddaz...u could be a future coach !!

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
35 possessions is impressive in anyone's language, granted I didn't see the game tho. On the same point, I'm sure the guy didn't have 35 clangers ;)

1 game of VFL doesn't say a thing though. If Kris can go through the season and average 24/25 possessions of GOOD, COMPOSED disposal then he looks to have slipped through the net. Until then, there isn't much evidence of anything.

P.S. I can't remember who exactly it was at the club who said it (think it was Hine, just after Scotty had his debut) but we found Scott incidentally when we were scouting Kris. The club has rated Kris Pendlebury for ages and we picked up Scott so early because we were ineterested in Kris and came across his much more talented brother, kinda by accident

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isnt he the older brother?

Matthew Ball board ;)

Matty Ball went alright in the AFL played very much like luke without the fanfare , dissapeared into obscurity but was AFL standard.

K.Pendles was actually our original target but we overlooked him when S.Pendles came onto the scene and Essendon gave K.pendlebury the oppo in there reserves.

woops post above is on the ball ^^

Dave The Man

Cancelled
Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2009 Player Sponsor
Sep 17, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm,Victory,Blue Jays
P.S. I can't remember who exactly it was at the club who said it (think it was Hine, just after Scotty had his debut) but we found Scott incidentally when we were scouting Kris. The club has rated Kris Pendlebury for ages and we picked up Scott so early because we were ineterested in Kris and came across his much more talented brother, kinda by accident

This Article:

Scott Pendlebury a bargain from Sale for Collingwood

Article from:

Bruce Matthews
September 21, 2007 12:00am

RECRUITING managers like to recount stories of trips in which they went in search of one talent and instead discovered another.
Often it's like landing the daily double or the initial target doesn't make it, hampered by injuries, attitude or various distractions.

Scott Pendlebury fits the former category, the younger brother who had to be prised away from another sport to fulfil his potential.

Collingwood was initially interested in big brother Kris, who played a handful of games as a top-up player with Essendon's VFL team until a shoulder reconstruction laid him low this season.

However it was Carlton premiership wingman Peter Francis, manager of under-18s team Gippsland Power, who four years ago alerted the Pies to the second Pendlebury from Sale.

Head scout Noel Judkins recalled Francis's prediction when he and Collingwood's national recruiting manager Derek Hine watched a Power practice match at Monash University in early 2005.

"I remember what Peter said to me a couple of years before when I rang up about Kris. Pete said, 'We're hoping to get his brother to play, he's a basketballer'.

He said if they could get him to play he would develop into a very good player," Judkins said.

"So when we saw Scott, it reminded me of what Peter had said. He had really good poise and was a terrific size, he always found space and always had time.

"He played on the wing, like a defensive sort of wingman. It was just his balance, his poise, his reading of the game. Good hands, very accurate kick."

The Magpies grabbed a Drouin kid with long, blond hair with a priority selection at the AFL national draft later that year and three picks later added the bored basketballer.

Dale Thomas and Pendlebury, Gippsland Power teammates, will play key roles at the MCG tonight in Collingwood's push to snatch a Grand Final berth from Geelong.

"It was Derek's call (at the draft), but we didn't have any hesitation," Judkins said.

"Guys who have played another ball sport, their reaction time, their hands and their ability with their vision is first class. We find a lot of guys who have played basketball are pretty special in that area. And he was an elite basketballer."

Pendlebury is a surprisingly assured 19-year-old who certainly didn't show any nerves when facing TV cameras and reporters' questions after MCG training this week.

"Playing in front of big crowds, probably once a month, helps us younger guys. Geelong has played in front of big crowds too, so both sides will be ready for it. We've proved it ourselves that we can match it with the best and our best is good enough," he said.

While Pendlebury emphasised the Magpies were a strong, united group, he made sure not to denigrate Geelong prior to the preliminary final.

"They've got half the All-Australian side playing out there on Friday night, so it's a great challenge for us," he said.

"They're a great side, they've easily finished the minor premiers and pretty much walked through their first final.

"So we're going to have to be right on our game to give them a good shake. We're not going to go out there and just turn up and cop it off them. We're going to try to play our game plan and see how we go."

Link to Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back