Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

can somebody who actually has the magazine or whatever actually say something thats in it. ffs!

OK. My favourite quote so far.

"The people at the Western Bulldogs will s**t themselves when they see him because he's so light."

- Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner on Ayce Cordy.

6. CARLTON – Michael Hurley
Carlton has put together quite a young talented midfield via recent drafts and now its time to look to another area of concern, a quality key defender. Hurley is a ready-made player with excellent foot skills and smarts and will release Jarrad Waite to play elsewhere. The Blues also like Yarran but their need for a strong-bodied key defender is too great to overlook.

Ben Casanelia's Top 10
INSIDE FOOTBALL’S TOP 10
6. CARLTON – Michael Hurley
In desperate need of a key defender and Hurley is a Melbourne boy.
"their need for a strong-bodied key defender is too great to overlook."

"In desperate need of a key defender."

We need an inside midfielder with pace or a key forward as much as we need another big defender.

IF NOT MORE.

Do people keep pulling this opinion out of the recycle bin so they don't have to think and look at our list? :thumbsdown:

Mark Austin is taller and faster than Michael Hurley.

And can play at both ends of the ground.

All we get is the same old tired opinions on a club's needs and a phantom draft with a few names shuffled around.

Yet this is the only Inside Football issue I buy in a year.

It's a redundant publication due to the internet giving us on demand access to information on the players and football news.

Do Jim Main and Crackers still write for Inside Football? :eek:

3. FREMANTLE – Stephen Hill
The real wildcard pick. Most would have Daniel Rich in this position but he is very much like Rhys Palmer so the Dockers go for the outside runner with the silky skills to complement Palmer. Hill’s stocks have rising remarkably after a great display at the Draft Camp.

I will laugh my ass off if this happens.

This was my favourite;

"JACK REDDEN - Glenelg
DOB: 27/12/90 Ht: 186cm Wt: 75kg
"Brisbane is very interested in Jack and Melbourne and Fremantle have shown some interest. Jack's been a boarder at Sacred Heart College for a couple of years and is a midfielder/forward type. Very much an inside player who loves to feed the ball out and win clearances, which he showed during the under-19 grand final where he virtually won the game in the last quarter. Very clean with his hands and his disposal is pretty good. He broke his thumb early in the year and given his school commitments he played only about eight games for us. A quiet and unassuming lad but has a heap of potential."
- Glenelg development manager Jack Redden."

:D

A few things on some topic/questions raised.....

- TheGeneral, You said "Do people keep pulling this opinion out of the recycle bin so they don't have to think and look at our list?"
Well Carlton need a key defender more than anything else, and being a Blue's fan yourself, surely the last three years of not being able to stop anything from scoring would tell you this. Unless you want to put your faith in the likes of Jamieson, Austin and Bower and think that they will be able to stand up in the heat of finals footy (which you should play this year). Hurley is better than all these blokes and is the type of player you can build your defence around. Solid as a rock, reads the play better than most and is the best kick in the draft. You can find a inside mid with your second pick and this draft is super deep with quality key forwards.

Also..
"All we get is the same old tired opinions on a club's needs and a phantom draft with a few names shuffled around."
Don't think for one second that this is an exercise that is done in the spacxe of a few hours. To put together something like this takes hours of talking with recrtuing mangers, player managers, junior development officers and the like to get an idea of what each club feels is their greatest need/who is in the mix at each pick so its not just opinion, its got a fair bit of fact behind it!

- Some clubs don't rate Sidebottom as a first round pick.

- Most clubs give glowing endorsements pof their own players due to the fact they ARE the best of the best. Over 2000+ kids nominate each year for the draft. We have profiled the top 150 so of course these kids can play and are going to have some wraps on them. At the end of the day, only 70 odd kids get picked each year, so there is a fair bit of quality that either feeds down to state/local level, or in some cases is lost to the game forever.

- Lenny Hayes IS 187cm and Dal Santo is around the mark as well. Quite deceiving. In facr most AFL mid's are taller than you think. There is a sprinkling of smaller sized midfielders in the games elite but you will find that the trend is for taller midfielders. Apart from Murphy, Palmer, Foley etc. most of those smaller mid's are all from a past draft age when the emphasis was on drafting footballers not athletes.

- Finally, thanks to everyone that has gone out and bought the magazine. As stated by a previous poster, the advent of the internet has made life a fair bit tougher for publications such as IF but there is still a place and demand for it in the market!

My favourite line comes from Neil Mildenhall on Cory Dellilio:

"Takes blokes on and palms them off and then kicks goals out his arse."

Cracked me up.

Superfreak if you want to improve circulation one area where you have overlooked majorly is the fantasy football area which I would think is a definate niche area you could include. Get rid of the Jim Main garbage or at least cut it back to a page and then use the space on fantasy. I realise there might be some licensing issues but I am sure that could be worked around and I am sure one of DT or SC would be interested in getting some more publicity for their competition adn gaining a bit of an advantage over the other.

Also please don't use Andrew Hamilton to do the Brisbane reviews which you do sometimes. They are always terrible and you would think he has not actually even watched the match.

Agree with superfreak. If the General thinks Carlton are
going to built a defence that will hold up in finals footy
from VFL players like Austin and Bannister, AFL fringe
players like Bower and unaccountable possession chasers
like Scotland and Carrazzo - good luck. Carlton need Hurley
at CHB, but so do about 14 other clubs ( including the Dogs )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People showing how little they watch Carlton...we need a key forward/half forward/quick midfielder than another key defender. Bower and Jamison have shown they can take key forwards and do the job very well.

Seems to be a common thing on Bigfooty with teams defenses not being rated at all...I guess because they aren't flashy the nuff nuffs find it harder to see if a defender has played well or not.

Dal Santo aint that tall.....Marc Murphy says hi, Trent Cotchin and Rhys Palmer say hi......Lenny Hayes also nowhere near 187.......Ben Cousins if he was around.....Bartel not 187.......Bruce one of the very best mids or in there for his height ?.....Sam Mitchell also says hi....oh Simon Black sends his best regards but wonders why Bruce is mentioned and not him.

Dal Santo is 185cm - almost 6'1"
Lenny Hayes is 186cm - 1 solitary cm under 187 - we'll forgive him.
Bartel IS 187cm
Black is actually 184cm I think - quite a reasonable height. Not as short as you think.

... add to that Judd at 189, Corey at 190, Cooney at 186... and there definately is a strong representation among the games top midfielders of taller players - 6'1" to 6'2"... not to mention plenty of tall players not among the elite, such as Ling at 189cm, or even someone like Jobe Watson at 190cm... and what about part time midfielders like Deledio at 188cm and Embley at 190cm?

No one is saying you have to be 6'1" or 6'2" to be a gun midfielder. There are definately gun midfielders of shorter stature - like Mitchell, Kerr etc - but you cannot deny that the trend of the game is towards taller players. Tallers players everywhere in fact.

People showing how little they watch Carlton...we need a key forward/half forward/quick midfielder than another key defender. Bower and Jamison have shown they can take key forwards and do the job very well.

Seems to be a common thing on Bigfooty with teams defenses not being rated at all...I guess because they aren't flashy the nuff nuffs find it harder to see if a defender has played well or not.

I would've thought you'd like another key defender to free up Waite a bit more? He seems like a far more dangerous player to me when he goes forward - or is that just against the crows? >_>

I would've thought you'd like another key defender to free up Waite a bit more? He seems like a far more dangerous player to me when he goes forward - or is that just against the crows? >_>
Agree. Don't rate Waite as a back, like his stuff as a forward, and justification could be made either way for a tall back or tall forward IMHO. Can't see the Blues going for a mid.

He is freed up most of the time with Jamison taking the full forward and Bower the lead up forward like Cloke. Waite isn't as good man on man as Bower/Jamison and does better when he can play loose...so I wouldn't start him on a Riewoldt anyway because he most of the time he gets smashed by those types. Not sure why he gets more plaudits than the other two who are better defenders. Waite is good when he can play loose but man on man isn't as good.

Effes....come on mate, open your eyes...

Here is what key forwards kicked against the Blues last year:

6 - Bradshaw, Brown
5 - Richardson, Roughead
4 - Gehrig, Lloyd, Lloyd, Green (played deep forward), Burton, Pavlich, Moran, Franklin
3 - Tarrant, C.Hughes, Riewoldt, Hahn, B.Johnson, Hale

(72 goals @ 4 goals per game)

And there were plenty more on 2 goals.

That tells me that you need a quality key defender. Jamieson and Bower will be good as 2nd/3rd talls.

I reckon there are more informed people on here, and EB&W, that would do a ten time better job than what Inside Footy come up with. It looks as though they sat down and done it in 20 minutes, tossed some names around, and forgot a couple.

I will edit their work for them

Here is the Phantom first round as compiled by Brett Anderson....

1. MELBOURNE – Jack Watts
Melbourne has so many areas of need but none more than the need for a genuine key forward. Watts will still have to complete Year 12 next year but has been dubbed by Barry Richardson as the best junior player he has seen. Watts is the type of player you can build a team around. Pure quality. O.K

2. WEST COAST – Daniel Rich
West Coasts decision will change the rest of the first round markedly. The loss of Cousins and Judd have left a hole in West Coasts centre like a 5 year old with two front teeth missing. Rich is the best midfielder available, so Rich it is.

3. FREMANTLE – Nicholas Naitanui
Fremantle will be wrapt that Nic Nat was left by West Coast. They will replace the loss of Warnock nicely with Nick.

4. PORT ADELAIDE – Tyrone Vickery
Ports depth chart suggests that both Brogan and Lade are coming to the ends of their careers, once they are gone, it will be all up to Giles alone. I don't think so. That is why Port will go Vickory here. If Freo do something silly, like pick Hill over Nic Nat, Port will entertain the idea of Nic Nat in an instant. Freo can't be this silly though.

5. ESSENDON –Michael Hurley
Essendon have Fletcher coming to the end, and Mal Michael gone, they would be crazy to go past Hurley to combine with Ryder in defence for the next ten years.

6. CARLTON – Steele Sidebottom
They have rucks, they have key defenders, I reckon Eddie Betts and Sidebottom at the feet of Fevola would be a good option. Remember Fev himself kicking a bag of ten V Collingwood on the NYE match, Sidebottom did the same in the TAC Grand Final.

7. BRISBANE – Jack Ziebell
The Lions will toss us between Ziebell and Tom Swift but Voss’ influence will see them go with the player whose playing style closely resembles that of his new coach. Ziebell has a strong body and has the versatility of being able to play any position on the field and can step in straight away and contribute. O.K

8. RICHMOND – Jackson Trengove
Richmond are screaming out for a decent CHB, FB type, and Jackson fits the Tiger mould perfectly.

9. NORTH MELBOURNE – Hamish Hartlett
Best available midfielder in Hartlett. Swallow and Hartlett in Norths midfield in a few years, will be a decent proposition.

10. ADELAIDE – Lewis Johnston
but the talk is very strong that they will take Johnston and look to play him at Full Forward. This pick may not be popular with Adel fans but Johnston will be a good player.

11. COLLINGWOOD – Tom Swift
Collingwood has spent the recent drafts concentrating on building their spine so now its time to turn their attention to the midfield with the recent retirements of Buckley, Burns and Licuria. There are three names on the Pies list; Swift, Sidebottom and Beams. They go with Swift who was a standout under-16 but has missed two years of footy with knee injuries. O.K

12. SYDNEY – Shaun McKernan
Need a key forward, with Barry Hall doing more punching heads, than goals through. Micky O is ageing, and the only other key forwards are Grundy Playfair and White. So a McKernan at this pick will be the best go for Sydney.

13. ST KILDA – Chris Yarran
Genuine pace is the main area of need for St Kilda but they have somewhat addressed that by trading for Farren Ray plus the likely arrival of Ben Cousins. This allows them to take the best available player and that is Yarran. He is a match winner who can turn games in the blink of an eye and will provide the Saints with a real x-factor. Steal of the draft. O.K

14. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Ayce Cordy (F/S)
The Bulldogs nearly got away with what would have been the steal of the draft, only for St Kilda to keep them honest. Whichever way you look at it the Dogs are getting a very good player. At 202cm and 80kg, he will take time to develop, but the overall package will be worth the wait. O.K

15. GEELONG – Sam Blease
An absolute steal at this pick, but there he will slide, and keep the strawberry flowing at the Cats.

16. HAWTHORN – Stephen Hill
Another speedy midfielder to add to there squad. Need to replce Crawford, so Hill seems a perfect fit.

You're not giving these guys much of a chance, superfreak. A lot of their defenders are still very young and learning their caper ... Bower and Jamison have both played less than 25 games. Hurley won't be an instant fix either and may not even play defence at AFL.

I reckon there are more informed people on here, and EB&W, that would do a ten time better job than what Inside Footy come up with. It looks as though they sat down and done it in 20 minutes, tossed some names around, and forgot a couple.

So does hours of phone convos and meetings with recruiting managers and the like consistute having an informed opinion???

It took weeks to put the list together, not 20 minutes (now your uninformed!). Some players aren't on there due to the fact that they are as highky rated as all the armchair experts on Bigfooty think they are and pump them up to be. Just because all the 'Eddie Experts' on here have Steele Sidebottom and Sam Blease being the best thing since sliced bread and top 10 picks doesn't change mean that recruiters feel the same way.

Anyway, good luck with your list, hope you are right with your 'informed' picks. ;):)

You're not giving these guys much of a chance, superfreak. A lot of their defenders are still very young and learning their caper ... Bower and Jamison have both played less than 25 games. Hurley won't be an instant fix either and may not even play defence at AFL.

Fair call mate, but having seen Hurley a fair bit over the past two years I feel comfortable in saying that he is a better player than those two and is in a postion to step in straight away. A defence consisting of Hurley, Bower, Jamieson, Thornton would be very good. Your right though, he can play at the other end with equal capability.

I'm certainly not usually one to spread the latest gossip, but having chatted with a bunch of Ziebell's mates only a couple of days ago, the lad has had a huge amount of interest from Richmond, with Carlton also very keen too. Not exactly ground breaking stuff, but I was kinda suprised that he'd feature so prominently on the Tigers radar. Not sure he'll last to them anyway, but there ya go.

"their need for a strong-bodied key defender is too great to overlook."

"In desperate need of a key defender."

We need an inside midfielder with pace or a key forward as much as we need another big defender.

IF NOT MORE.

Do people keep pulling this opinion out of the recycle bin so they don't have to think and look at our list? :thumbsdown:

Mark Austin is taller and faster than Michael Hurley.

And can play at both ends of the ground.

All we get is the same old tired opinions on a club's needs and a phantom draft with a few names shuffled around.

Yet this is the only Inside Football issue I buy in a year.

It's a redundant publication due to the internet giving us on demand access to information on the players and football news.

Do Jim Main and Crackers still write for Inside Football? :eek:

Yes yes - and that's why I maintain we will take Yarran if available

Remove this Banner Ad

Back