Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tuesdays-Training open to public for January

Interesting that Foley was only doing handball drills, have heard that he is still suffering the effects of the ankle injury that ended his season and is stil a month away from resuming full training.

No photos, but we got there before 10:30 to see them for half an hour. Was meant to get there are 9:30 but Smasha was still sleeping when i got to his house :cool:.

They played a half ground practice match. Didn't see any of the draft picks, I think they were at some camp thing. Thursty, Reiwoldt and Edwards look to have bulked up a bit, but Mcguane and Polo still looked a bit skinny. Gourdis was kicking the ball pretty well, long and short. Cotch, Foley, Tuck, Rance were mainly doing handball drills only. Deledio didn't seem to be training except for a couple shots at goal. Collins was having shots from the boundary. Pretty much saw all the players except for the recent draft picks, but didn't notice Simmonds, Hislop, Moore, Connors or Vickery. We missed at least half the session anyway so they may have been around. Then we went off for a few beers and came back at 12:30 for a few snap shots at goal in the heat. We were kicking them from all angles either foot to the applause of Hardwick who was walking by. He said 'PROG ALL THE WAY BOYS' :cool:

Hardwick="what Yes albums have you got Smash?":D

How big is Tambling! He's gonna have such a good year.

Looks confident out on the training track.

I think he will be a big improver.

Nearly kicked a freak goal this morning.

Flicked the ball up from the ground and then soccered it towards the goal.

Shows he's enjoying himself.

Up the Bling!

Looks confident out on the training track.

I think he will be a big improver.

Nearly kicked a freak goal this morning.

Flicked the ball up from the ground and then soccered it towards the goal.

Shows he's enjoying himself.

Up the Bling!

Also kicked a banana goal from the left pocket with the right foot :cool:

Alroy's starting to look like an actual AFL player! Hope he gets a call up some time this season, the kid is greased lightning. Look up 'excitement machine' in the dictionary and there's a big 'ol picture of him.

Re: Training Reports - 2010 Preseason includes Training Time

Pretty tame session. No contested work and modest intensity. Jack clearly the biggest talker - he could either inspire or really give you the shits. Future captain?

Mostly positioning was drilled. In particular, closing down the opposition backline bringing it out of the last line, with zone to the 50 a priority. Good to see and hardwick very involved, losing his temper at one point

Cotch and axel ran around but mainly out of the main group. Andy collins had a protected left thumb and didn't use it at any stage - looked very sore. Rance also in the runners

Thursfield is bigger upstairs but our legs remain very thin. McGuane is a stick below the waist. Love alroy

Nahas has muscles but hardly big.

Moore a bit bigger, and nice and lean. Gourdis is a unit - would have no issues with chicks

Browne seems to be growing into a man's body, rather than looking like a big kid. Gus is a terrible kick

No cuz, though saw him outside afterwards. Hislop was a bp

Lade clearly our best ruckman.

King trained as a forward. Polak looked ok, with deledio obviously shining. Tambling is not at all big, but does look stronger.

A tad disapponting, with many basic skill errors and the focus on process and positioning. Gotta be done I suppose, but no-one really got out of second gear. Axel a way away yet I'd say

One of the things that irked me the most were these 2 kids and their mum who carried 5 footballs which they ask the players to sign when they were going into the changeroom. Not only that, they also camped outside the back entrance waiting for players who didn't sign the footballs to sign it! GARGH!

Anyway, UpTheGuts pretty much got it right. I'll upload pics when I have the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is tommorrow's session an open one?

It's at Craigieburn like I mentioned. They were 'advertising' it on 3AW so I'd imagine you'd be able to go.

It's at Craigieburn like I mentioned. They were 'advertising' it on 3AW so I'd imagine you'd be able to go.

Thanks rfcta.
Anyone know where it is or have an address? I might head down.

Edit: I just found out its at Highgate reserve, I don't think thats our training base but I might be wrong.
Assuming I get up on time I'll go down.

Just back from Craigieburn in MT's Cobra caboose.

Had a time finding the darn place.

When we finally did, we were very impressed.

Massive oval,immaculately kept and I dare say we have the best training oval in the league now with this facility.

Saw Relton Roberts out there today.

Very well built in the shoulders area and just getting used to living away from home.

Martin-this bloke is already a slotin for R1.

Biggercalves than my thighs hehe.

Big unit but with silky passing skills.

Didn't see Cuzz out there.

They did short passing drills when we were there then they practised handballing followed by pushup sessions then back into handballing etc. etc.

This ground is gonna make a great difference for us.

Just plenty of room for the lads to perfect their kicking skilss.

Very impressed.

MT ,will have more I'm sure.

Absolutely spewing that we moved from Craigieburn. My house was a 5 minute walk from the ground and it would have been great being able to just waltz up the road before heading off to work. Glad I've got family that live up there as it will make it real easy to attend the family day.

I got into the airport early coming back from a short trip and popped in on the way home. The ground surface is world-class. I don't know what I expected but the surface is 'immaculate'

Dusty was the stand out for me. The kid is built for footy at the highest level. I'm as excited about this kid as I was when I first saw Cotch lace up the boots for Coburg. You can see he is still finding his feet with a new group. Same with Nason, who didn't help his confidence by turning it over.

Saw Griffiths briefly. He is a unit. Goudis was out there doing some handball drills. Lids is the stand out player, just lacks leadership qualities (to the untrained eye at least) but the skills are A1.

Jackson trains intensely and is a leader for mine. Lacks precision but has a real crack and shows interest.

Emphasis on defending and zoning from the kickout during the match drills.

Rance didn't train with the main group but looks good. Post has fitted into the group nicely and look for him to really step up in 10'. Collins was running on the sidelines, but had the eye of the tiger about him. I like this kid.

All in all a good session. If Lids could harness some of Riewoldts confidence he would be a shoe-in for captain. Liked Tambling too. Hope he continues to improve this season.

I got into the airport early coming back from a short trip and popped in on the way home. The ground surface is world-class. I don't know what I expected but the surface is 'immaculate'

Dusty was the stand out for me. The kid is built for footy at the highest level. I'm as excited about this kid as I was when I first saw Cotch lace up the boots for Coburg. You can see he is still finding his feet with a new group. Same with Nason, who didn't help his confidence by turning it over.

Saw Griffiths briefly. He is a unit. Goudis was out there doing some handball drills. Lids is the stand out player, just lacks leadership qualities (to the untrained eye at least) but the skills are A1.

Jackson trains intensely and is a leader for mine. Lacks precision but has a real crack and shows interest.

Emphasis on defending and zoning from the kickout during the match drills.

Rance didn't train with the main group but looks good. Post has fitted into the group nicely and look for him to really step up in 10'. Collins was running on the sidelines, but had the eye of the tiger about him. I like this kid.

All in all a good session. If Lids could harness some of Riewoldts confidence he would be a shoe-in for captain. Liked Tambling too. Hope he continues to improve this season.

Yes,Dusty is gonna be some player.

Could hear him calling loud and clear.

Just loves footy.

How good was the surface of that ground?

Absolute a-grade facility.

Huge ground with perfect grass. Reminded me of Waverley. Players were kicking well in the drills. Me and Smasha were having shots at goal and Lade and Leppitsh came over and bashed us to a pulp. But it was all fun because we found Smasha's 4 missing teeth after a while :D. Very windy area though and the players had to adjust to the breeze up the ground. Was hard finding the ground because we thought it was Aitken reserve :cool:. We saw no one was there and gave up for a while and drove halfway home then decided to go to a servo and look up a melway. We found the nearby Highgate oval and hung around for an hour until they finished training. On the way home we got some fish n chips. 6 dim sims, 4 potato cakes, large chips, flake. Bottle of coke ;)

Huge ground with perfect grass. Reminded me of Waverley. Players were kicking well in the drills. Me and Smasha were having shots at goal and Lade and Leppitsh came over and bashed us to a pulp. But it was all fun because we found Smasha's 4 missing teeth after a while :D. Very windy area though and the players had to adjust to the breeze up the ground. Was hard finding the ground because we thought it was Aitken reserve :cool:. We saw no one was there and gave up for a while and drove halfway home then decided to go to a servo and look up a melway. We found the nearby Highgate oval and hung around for an hour until they finished training. On the way home we got some fish n chips. 6 dim sims, 4 potato cakes, large chips, flake. Bottle of coke ;)

Leppa got the wrong man.

He was after MT's prog cds.:D

Best surface I've ever seen. When the facility is complete will be a real asset going forward for the club.

That's why it's important for every one to get a membership.

These facilities don't grow on trees.

CARN TIGES!

I went down today too.
I missed the first half hour or so. As I was arriving, Rance, Dea and Taylor were leaving. Connors didn't train, he was in this tent thing, which I think had bikes and other gym stuff in there. Also Thursty didn't train and left shortly after Rance and co.

When I first got there they were doing a kicking drill. Moving from cone to cone, with players coming off other cones to recive the handball.

Then they went into a full ground thing, where the emphasis was on zoning. They would start with a stoppage, and then one team had to work the ball out while trying to break through the zone. For what its worth the team attacking struggled to get through and turned it over a bit. At one point Nason had 2 consecutive turn overs; One backwards straight down the throat of Cuz and the other into the man on the mark.
Hardwick stopped them at one stage and was telling Tambling not to go wide and cut through the middle. It was good to see Hardwick yelling and giving plenty of instructions.

Skills were not overly great, I must admit. Mis-cued kicks, dropping marks, they were not the greatest I have seen. Tuck was one of the main culprits.

After a while Polo and Cousins came off and sat out. Hislop also came off and he seemed to be complaning about his shoulder. But he was out and about.

Martin looked good. A very good size. Jack has all put on some weight. Westoff is skiny as anything and s**t Vickery looks different without the dreadlocks, it took me half the session to work out it was him. Post is still very skinny.

I didn't notice Griffiths, Foley, Simmonds or Cotchin. But as I said I got there late, so I may have missed them.

They finished with a similar kicking drill to the start and then they began to leave the ground one by one.

The forwards did this little game thing. Kingy was standing 5 meters away from the rest of the forwards who were standing around him. Kingy was kicking to the players around him randomly, if you dropped the mark you had to go to the back of the line and start again. After a certain amount of dropped marks they all went down for push-ups. It got pretty funny as dropped marks were meet with groans and moans. Westoff endned up taking the final mark which endend the drill and Jack lead the charge to chair him off, it was quite funny. Nahas seemed to lose or was eliminated and Jack said "Everyone come down to the club at 4:30, robbie is going to do some rolls" or something like that, didn't catch it all but it was pretty funny.

Anyway thats all I can recall, if you have any questions feel free to ask. It was pretty hard see who the players were but I'll do my best.

Also smasha, it took may a hell of a time to find it aswell. I found it by accident. And the grass really does look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back