2011 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Maroo

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, I’m already tired of the trade week discussions as we’ve reached that inevitable point on day one where we all realise that nothing’s going to happen today. So I thought I’d bring up next year’s fixture for a distraction.

Now I’m not a religious reader of the boards, so I apologise if this has been done to death in other threads.

The full fixture is to be released later this month, so I’m interested in:

• Has it been released publicly what the club has officially requested out of next year’s fixture (e.g. 19 games @ MCG, guaranteed top 4 etc.)?
  • The Cairns home game is confirmed, but is there a Darwin home game confirmed or not?
  • What are you hoping for in next year’s fixture (please be realistic, the AFL isn’t going to give the 15th placed club 11 Friday night games & 11 Saturday afternoon games)?

Below is what I’d like to see, and given out performance in the second half of this year, I don’t think it’s totally unreasonable:

• A return to the AFL average of 4 interstate trips (obviously excluding home games sold), instead of the 5 we got this year (3 would be awesome).
  • Get the number of home games against interstate clubs down from 5 to 4, including interstate home game(s) (3 would be awesome).
  • 2 games against at least 2 of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon & Hawthorn (3 of them would be great, all 4 would be awesome).
  • A maximum of one home game at Etihad (and only against an interstate team), none if we’re playing a home game in Darwin as well as Cairns.
  • At least half of our games to be played between Friday night, Saturday afternoon & Saturday night.

Please, lets not have this turn into a whinge thread about any of these factors or how the AFL hates us etc. etc. Just opinions on what you feel is a realistic fixture for next year.

I'd like to see the following:
9 home games at the MCG
2 home games interstate - 1 Darwin 1 Cairns
Home games against Essendon Collingwood & Carlton
Make up games access against teams at the MCG rather than Etihad.
4 trips interstate for away games.
At least 2 games on a Friday night.
Round 2 game at the Gabba against the Lions seeing I've already booked a holiday to the Gold Coast for that week. :D

If we travel 6 times including the humid weather in Darwin and Cairns we'll be ****ing rooted to put it lightly.
Sadly I don't see us getting a sweetheart deal where we only travel 2-3 times outside the home games.

Average travel will be ~4.5 games per Melb team, moving up to ~4.9 with GWS. ( not counting sold games. ).

So we'll get..

9 home games..probably 6 at the G, 3 at Etihad.
2 sold games in Darwin & Cairns.
2 away games our members get access to against 2 of Melb/WB/North ( we'll probably get homes games against these teams too so we can reciprocate their generocity in letting us use the facilities they wouldn't be using anyway ).
5 away games interstate, including rnd2 Vs GC.
1 away game rnd 1 at MCG Vs Carlton.
3 other away games in Melb.

We should do slightly better fixture wise than this year as things are looking up, so..

1 Melbourne based home game in primetime.
2 sold games will probably be Saturday afternoon.
2-3 will be at a decent time in melb ( Sat afternoon )
5-6 will be Sunday, 2-3 afternoon, 3 twilight.

I'd lik it to be better, but the fact we couldn't get the AFL to agree to anything in the Cairns deal except allowing us to "Ask" for a few favors suggest we'll get the usual short end of the stick reserved for persistantly low performing teams.

Personally, I love night games (great atmos under lights, pub straight after work and then to the ground). Especially, Friday night MCG games. Hope we get a couple of those, along with Saturday night and even a Thursday night game would be ok.

Sat arvo's are good but, interfere with following the horse races, for those of us who do :)

As a spectating ground Etihad is fine, but the bar security staff (Level 1) there are arrogant, jumped up gorillas.

Was hoping for Gold Coast game against the suns Rnd 2 rather than Cairns... good interstate trip opportunity for some sun and surf as well as footy.

We have 1 game in Cairns, 1 game in Darwin and will be fighting tooth and nail to get every home game at the MCG, but realistically we might have one at Etihad.
RFCO, can you tell us any of the other official requests that the club has submitted for the fixture (beyond the 9 MCG home games to go with 2 sold home games)?

Have the requests been made public somewhere already?

If we travel 6 times including the humid weather in Darwin and Cairns we'll be ****ing rooted to put it lightly.

Spare a thought for West Coast and Fremantle then... 10 road trips a season guaranteed and none of them are short.

If WC were so successful in 05/6 and Fremantle are on the rise now, if we prepare/recover properly six trips shouldn't be an issue at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will do whatever the hell Demetriouu wants us to do:mad:. We don't have a big say in the fixture unfortunately. It works on previous season performance and attendances.

With the Hird appointment they will get a dream run next year :thumbsdown:

Add to that Collingwood 20 games at the G :thumbsdown:

Kennett will make sure the Hawks play the non Tassie games at the G

Carlton played finals this year so they will jump ahead of us on the pecking order and get more home games at the G than us

Melbourne showed plenty of promise this year and will likely play less at Etihad & more at the G

Gold coast need someone to play in Melbourne, which will surely be Etihad not the G:eek:

Take all this into account if we get 5 home games at the G we will do well with 2 interstate home games and Etihad 4:thumbsdown: (Saints, Dogs, Norf, Suns)

When we start improving our attendance we may get a shot at more "G Time" but until then we will likely get the dregs:(

Melbourne showed plenty of promise this year and will likely play less at Etihad & more at the G
Care to tell us how many home games Melbourne played at Etihad this season?

Gold coast need someone to play in Melbourne, which will surely be Etihad not the G:eek:
You do realise it's already locked in that we're playing GC at "home" in Cairns, yeah? So it's impossible for us to play them at Etihad.
Take all this into account if we get 5 home games at the G we will do well with 2 interstate home games and Etihad 4:thumbsdown: (Saints, Dogs, Norf, Suns)
I'll bet you anything you like that we don't end up with 4 home games at Etihad. Anything at all.

Good post though..... :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back