Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
Watching Mitt Romney announcing his run I think he would give Obama a real shake if he gets the Repub nomination. He'll take it right up on the economy and would also have learned a lot from his failed run last primaries.

Re: S&P downgrades US debt

Romney is a hypocrite over healthcare.

Is he? Seems to be standing by his state health care when he was gov. Today I gather he's reaffirmed his belief on man-made contrib to climatechange. Getting alot of flak from repub right who seem to think he should have repudiated both :D Honestly, they never learn.

I think he's put a great deal ofthought into this campaign and how to take the [strike]Big[/strike] Diminished O. But whether he'll get the nomination is, of course questionable with that lot.

Romney is a hypocrite over healthcare.

Yep. He had to say it was only a state solution. But no one is falling for it. I think it will cost him GOP candidacy but if he some way wins it. He will have to do alot of explaining in the president election on why it was good for his state but not for any other.

Looks like Romney hit another stumbling block today. Don't know if it will cost him the GOP nomination, but don't imagine wanting to regulate green house gases will help him.

"Mitt Romney: The World is Getting Warmer"
http://michellemalkin.com/2011/06/04/mitt-romney-the-world-is-getting-warmer/

excerpt:

If Mitt Romney is the GOP nominee, the big winner might be Al Gore, because no matter who comes out on top in the general election, Gore could come out smelling like a carbon-neutral rose.
From Reuters:
Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney broke with Republican orthodoxy on Friday by saying he believes that humans are responsible, at least to some extent, for climate change.
“I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that,” he told a crowd of about 200 at a town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire.
“It’s important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors.”
Well, on the upside for Mitt, this will certainly distract some of the conservative base from his health care albatross for a little while.
For presidential candidate from any party who believe anthropomorphic global warming is a dire problem, I have a humble request: Take a pledge to not use private jets on the 2012 campaign trail. Commercial flights and eco-friendly ground transport only please.

Clearly he is. He stands by his state plan

If he'd repudiated it he'd have no credibility in Pres race becos he'd be framed easily as opportunistic, no principle and weak.

but disagrees with Obama's plan even though they are virtually the same.

Sure. You know that, but the average punter doesn't. So it's much a more complex argument for his opponent to make. If Romney's a a half way competent politician he will find more than enough plausible differences, even if they are only rhetorical.

His state health care is an obstacle for the primaries; not nearly so much for the race itself if he gets the nomination.

To be honest I'm looking forward to seeing a Tea party vs Republician establishment primary race. Which I think it is turning into by looking at the candidates. If it does turn out like this it could be Mitt's best chance of winning due to him getting the establishments backing because his a probably the chance at getting independent votes in the president election. Compared to the current field of candidates.

P.S I haven't decided who I'd like to see get the GOP candidacy yet.

To be honest I'm looking forward to seeing a Tea party vs Republician establishment primary race. Which I think it is turning into by looking at the candidates. If it does turn out like this it could be Mitt's best chance of winning due to him getting the establishments backing because his a probably the chance at getting independent votes in the president election. Compared to the current field of candidates.

Agree 100%

Ideally I would like to see Mitch Daniels (Governor of Indiana) with Bobby Jindal (Governor of Louisiana) as his running mate. However I'm not even sure if Daniels will end up running, and Jindal almost certainly won't.

EDIT: Per Wikipedia, Daniels announced he wouldn't run a couple of weeks ago. Damn.

Anyone else notice Huckabee has been wording himself around how he said he wasn't running. Wording it so he can step back in. Not sure if his serious or just wanting more publicity though.

Alot of people still holding out hoping for Chris Christie to enter. Even though he has ruled him self pretty much out running.

he of the jawline hewn by de beers conflict diamonds and profiled in a GQ magazine circa 1980. If he was not a missionarian from Salt Lake come banker at Bain VC, he could have given the male model from Mudgee Kenny Sutcliffe a run in the power suit mannequin trade

the soccer stay at home mom gonna transfer their post opera winfield frustrations to middle aged sexuality lust for Mitt. Got that vote tied up, in handcuffs.:thumbsu:

he of the jawline hewn by de beers conflict diamonds and profiled in a GQ magazine circa 1980. If he was not a missionarian from Salt Lake come banker at Bain VC, he could have given the male model from Mudgee Kenny Sutcliffe a run in the power suit mannequin trade

the soccer stay at home mom gonna transfer their post opera winfield frustrations to middle aged sexuality lust for Mitt. Got that vote tied up, in handcuffs.:thumbsu:

hehe, he is well cast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Mitt makes POTUS, just forgetting for a moment he is of the moron religion. He and Stephen Harper of the Canuck tories, would do a good double combo v the smooth skinned boys of Cameron and Nick Clegg. The All American Boys v the smooth skinned etonians. (ok, Harper, got a spanner in the act).

Mitt and Greg Combet in a "jaw off". Mitt by a long head.

FORMER Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney has pulled ahead of President Barack Obama in a poll of registered voters, as public disapproval over the faltering US economy grows.

By 49 to 46 per cent, Mr Romney outpolled President Obama in a head-to-head election, according to the survey by The Washington Post and ABC News.

That margin was within the 3.5 per cent sampling error, but nevertheless suggests that the incumbent president could be vulnerable as he tries to win re-election next year.

President Obama led all other potential Republican challengers in the survey, coming out on top in hypothetical head-to-head showdowns against Newt Gingrich, Tim Pawlenty, Michele Bachmann, Jon Huntsman and Sarah Palin.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...bin-laden-bounce/story-e6frg6so-1226071582384

Only bad thing for Mitt is that he could win every poll but Tea party people still won't vote for him in the primaries.

The polls are potentially misleading, because we don't know in who proportions the tea-party Republicans and traditional Republicans will turn up to the primaries. I suspect that the tea parties will be very good a mobilising their voters, and so it wouldn't surprise me at all if a tea party candidate was nominated.

Obama will be praying for someone less moderate than Romney, a candidate who will energise movement conservatives and tea partiers to a large enough extent to win the nomination, but get lost on the big stage, make a few blunders and scare off the moderates that will find Barack to be a safer bet, despite their doubts about his first term. Someone like Bachman for example. If Romney is the nominee, and he performs more effectively than last time around, he will not be easy to beat, especially the economy continues to splutter.

Having said that, I don't think Romney is in the same league as Obama, both as a campaigner or intellect. Four years in the big house is some experience don't forget. This election, as with most, will be about moderates. The bases will come out as they usually do. With the nation in the state that it is, Obama appears ripe. But it will still take some impressive to beat him, I don't think Romney is yet to convince anyone he the one.

Still, Clinton didn't seem all that much in June 91 either.

Not about Mitt Romney but still pretty interesting. Newt Gingrich campaign staff has walked out on him. Haha thats the last thing the guy needs but its happened.

In the United States the presidential campaign of the former Republican House speaker Newt Gingrich appears to have self-combusted.
Only weeks after the launch key members of his team have abruptly resigned en masse.
They're calling it a Newtiny. It's the latest disaster to befall the Gingrich campaign.
In a mass exodus five of the former House speaker's top aides including the campaign manager, two senior strategists and two consultants have suddenly jumped ship. Political observers like the Republican strategist John Feehery say it's game over.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2011/s3240948.htm

Looking at the GOP field as it stands, I can't see anyone but Romney winning. It's not that I think Romney is a particularly compelling candidate, more a process of elimination. Bachmann is a loony tune -- even in Teabagger-dominated primaries, I can't see her getting up. Palin won't win and may not even run. Pawlenty might be a chance, but what's his electorate? Not the teabaggers and other activists. Will he get enough of what's left to win? Wouldn't have thought so. Rick Perry might jump in, I guess. But is the GOP electorate, let alone the general electorate, ready for another Texas Governor -- a largely functionary role, anyway. Ron Paul will inspire a gazillion pixels from his internet fanclub, but, as ever, has zero chance of winning anything other than an internet straw poll. Who the hell in Hermain Cain? Huntsman? Media candidate only.

Romney by default, for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back