Skoda Stadium (Sydney Showground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sydney Showground

They've played games at the SCG and MCG while they've been destroying and rebuilding certain stands around the grounds. Its not ideal, but its okay I guess. The fact that the Suns played their first home games at their their No 1 enemy's ground was laughable.

Tom Harley just chucked this up on Twitter, pic from the corporate facility at Skoda Stadium;
452904981.jpg

I wonder if the state govt. would put up some more cash to change those seats to orange ones... haha

Wow the new videos on the stadium are great, really pumped to get along to the Giants v Essendon now!
The seating views will definitely help on which membership I'll get.

Most intriguing though are the stats for the surface area of the playing ground.
MCG: 160m x 141m
SCG: 151m x 138m
Docklands: 159m x 128m
Skoda Stadium: 163m x 126m

So it ends up being marginally longer than the MCG but a bit narrower than Etihad!

Wow the new videos on the stadium are great, really pumped to get along to the Giants v Essendon now!
The seating views will definitely help on which membership I'll get.

Most intriguing though are the stats for the surface area of the playing ground.
MCG: 160m x 141m
SCG: 151m x 138m
Docklands: 159m x 128m
Skoda Stadium: 163m x 126m

So it ends up being marginally longer than the MCG but a bit narrower than Etihad!

ANZ is 159.5m x 128.8m so in theory, eventually the Swans will be least used to those dimensions than the Giants. (I thought ANZ was longer than that).
Manuka is 179m x 150m - no good for anyone really. I am not a big fan of footy there.

For what it is worth - Kardinia is 170m x 115m which is still longer and narrower than Skoda.

Some interesting features of the stadium in http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/experience-skoda-stadium/. Child minding. BBQ deck. I was trying to find the member's bar but can't pinpoint it. Facilities seem to be very corporate oriented but I suspect that's because that is who the demo is aimed at - very slick.

Some interesting features of the stadium in http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/experience-skoda-stadium/. Child minding. BBQ deck. I was trying to find the member's bar but can't pinpoint it. Facilities seem to be very corporate oriented but I suspect that's because that is who the demo is aimed at - very slick.

I am pretty sure its not child minding as such - but a place for children to go and muck about like on a hill. I don't think there are anyone actually minding children there.

The BBQ deck looks amazing, I guess that is completely corporate? Putting in strong corporate facilities is very smart. I hope they get used.

I also wonder if the dining facilities above the members bar is open for members to use or is only corporate as well...?

will having 3 home grounds affect us in a few years?

Good question. Technically you have 4 home grounds in 2012, as you have a game at Blacktown as well..

Personally I think that having the 3 home grounds is great for you, and for a variety of reasons.
Firstly, you don't want to be a team who is only comfortable at one stadium, so the more experience your team has at playing in a variety of locations the better.
Secondly, your three home grounds have similarities with other AFL stadiums, so that playing interstate won't be all that different. ANZ stadium has similarities with the larger-seating MCG and Etihad, Skoda has a similar design to Metricon, and Manuka has similarities with the Tasmanian venues.
Most importantly, to be a successful team, you have got to be able to play well at the MCG. And the MCG is the widest regularly used venue, a lot of sides get caught out there because there is a lot more space across the ground to cover.. But Manuka is wider still, so as the Giants will play more games at Manuka than anyone else, they have a better chance to develop the endurance and game plan to cope with the open spaces of the MCG..

So in the long run, I really think the variety of home venues is a real blessing, though it's going to take a lot of hard work to see the results..

Just popped over to the webcam and it looks like the playing surface turf has been fully laid. there is still a dirt ring around the outside of the ground but I'm not sure what they are planning for it, maybe artificial turf or a tougher style of grass. Its amazing how quickly things are coming along considering all the rain that we've had.

I decided to go and check out Skoda Stadium on 27/12, some 11.5 months since my OP.

Following the redevelopment on webcam doesn't give you a great feel for the stadium.

I can tell you that with most of the core infrastructure of the new grandstands in the ground has a real bowl feel.

It's going to be intimate, but when it's rocking there will be a great atmosphere.

Even the open northern end has a significant terrace and the giant scoreboard, yet to be installed, will reduce the open feeling even further.

The media centre looks great with the stand being almost vertical. I'm sure this ground will become a media favourite.

I really don't think there will be a bad viewing seat in the house.

For those still deciding which membership to buy I would suggest Giants Members Reserve. If you can get to games early enough the seats on the northern end of the stand are outside the forward 50 which equates to a Platinum Churchill Stand seat for Swans Games but at way less than half the price (although this is for 8 games as opposed to 11 for the Swans). Over 80% of Members Reserve seating is under cover, right next to the Members Bar, great front on view of the scoreboard and the closest exit/entry to the railway station.

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following the redevelopment on webcam doesn't give you a great feel for the stadium.

I can tell you that with most of the core infrastructure of the new grandstands in the ground has a real bowl feel.

It's going to be intimate, but when it's rocking there will be a great atmosphere.

I had an opportunity to drive past on the weekend and have to echo these comments. The photos and such don't give justice to how small the stadium is. It is going to be intimate and easy to get up in and around. I think it could end up being the best home ground stadium in Australia for being close to the action (I have not been to Metricon yet). I think as well it will maintain a unique "small local suburban" feel to it. Which is always the best way to enjoy footy on a Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they get some decent beers and catering, so far, every single Giants event and game the food has been terrible.

One thing is the entire Facade is going to be re-done since it is pretty basic and industrial looking at the moment. They have not started on that. The newer stands are getting there.

I was never a big fan of this Showgrounds project, but maybe with the finished product and some good seats on the second tier I will really enjoy it.

It would of looked a lot better and more interesting/intimidating if the seats were the giants colors.. but oh well, still gonna be a very good stadium

It would of looked a lot better and more interesting/intimidating if the seats were the giants colors.. but oh well, still gonna be a very good stadium
No doubt it'd look great with orange seats (even with a few charcoal 'G' logos in there) maybe the State Govt., RAS and AFL can stump up for it in future upgrades ;)

No doubt it'd look great with orange seats (even with a few charcoal 'G' logos in there) maybe the State Govt., RAS and AFL can stump up for it in future upgrades ;)

Everyone BYO orange paint for the Essendon game. ;)

I think it has got orange seats at the scoreboard end (opposite the web camera). Maybe they will have a mix of red and orange?????

Also do you know if they will put seats at that end, where that tunnel currently is. It would just look a bit wierd with a tunnel right behind the goals?

I think it has got orange seats at the scoreboard end (opposite the web camera). Maybe they will have a mix of red and orange?????

Also do you know if they will put seats at that end, where that tunnel currently is. It would just look a bit wierd with a tunnel right behind the goals?
At BDO I saw orange seats amongst the red seats to the left of those orange ones (you can sort of see it on the camera - on the left when the camera starts) so it looks as if it'll go from red for 3/4 of the ground and then mix into a full orange section at that end.

Images from "Experience Skoda Stadium" on the Giants website definitely show seats in that tunnel you mention, plus there's a small second tier of seating to be constructed behind that with the screen on top.

Just checked out the webcam, the stands are going up pretty quick now that the BDO is gone. They look like they are making good progress. I wonder when they will start working on the facade and outside the stadium? I guess that is the next phase...

Another quick screen grab from the webcam:

2881nbo.jpg

(right click, view image)

I wondered what they were doing on the field, then remembered that Soundwave is on this weekend (and I'll be there).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back