Skoda Stadium (Sydney Showground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sydney Showground

.... Make the ground out at blacktown at least 20- 25 k stadium.
I posted this on another thread, but it's even more apprpriate here -
Perhaps you may be right in theory - but did GWS have any realistic choice or alternative to Homebush?
As I understand it, the Homebush $100 m upgrade was only made possible through the involvement of the Showgrounds Trust (or Olympic Park Trust - whatever name is correct). On their own, the AFL would not have got that Federal and State Gov't grant tp pay for any upgrade.

Whereas for Blacktown, whilst it's (just) OK for NAB Cup games, it has nowehere near the spectator (max 10,000) or corporate facilities for regular H&A AFL games - and also has poor access for both car (big traffic jams even for 10,000 spectators at NAB Cup games) or public transport (nearest station several km's away).

Please correct me (with facts) if any of the above is incorrect.

Anyway, it's all a moot point now. The Showgounds upgrade is a done deal now, so calls for Blacktown as the main venue are now just redundant and totally useless.

BTW - Has construction work at the Showgrounds started yet? If not, does anyone know when?

Meant to start after the Easter Show finishes, which I think is this weekend? Unsure but thought it went past easter

Raises a conundrum really doesnt it. The AFL has to play a minimum number of games there a year, and if it nominated one as an easter monday match, I wonder if theres anything the NRL could do about it.

Like the MCG, I assume the NRLs contract with ANZ is for a minimum number of games a year, without tying them to specific dates. The interesting part is that the stadium is majority owned by none other than one Mike Fitzpatrick, chairman of the AFL Commission. Tin foil hats for everyone!

With the 3 weeks of the show, games could just be spread between ANZ, Manuka and away. Wont be that hard.
Unsure, I thought most clubs negotiated their own contracts, Souths And Canterbury and then Parramatta a couple of games per year. Maybe NRL have a contract related to State of Origin and finals games, not sure, although there is a definate grand final contract in place.

Metricon looks absolutely amazing, can't wait to see a completed showground :)

What's with new stadiums and the horse shoe shape, with the scoreboard behind the goals!

Stadium_Screen_Design_000.jpg

Stadium includes a members bar, pretty jealous...

Website has been updated with more pics, artists impressions and details. Construction is on schedule.

http://www.sydneyshowground.com.au/corporate/overview.html

There is also a webcam you can control and watch livestreaming of the construction in the "Updates" section. :thumbsu::thumbsu:
That's a great find Gee Dubya. Looks like they've demolished the temporary stands and are dismantling the grass terracing.
The stadium, like the MCG but unlike most grounds, will run east to west. The western half of the stadium is already there, the new stands will be on the north-east and south-eastern sides. The open section is at the eastern end, you'd get the sun in your eyes there during day games. Presumably that's where the away fans area will be; while the rest of the ground will be under cover.

I knew they were redeveloping this, but I didn't think they'd go the same path as Metricon Stadium. haha.

I like the look of it based on this illustration:
Sydney_opt3_Sh02.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The redevelopment illustrations look nice. I'm liking the AFL-specific boutique stadiums at Metricon, and, soon to be, at the Showgrounds.

I still think Waverley should have been reconfigured to a boutique stadium (more protected from the elements than Arctic Park was) and perhaps larger than Metricon/the Showgrounds (seating 35,000+) and become the home base of the Saints and Hawthorn (with blockbusters held at the MCG or Docklands) with a rail and/or tram link established to alleviate the transport issues. I wish Optus Oval had gone that path too. Perhaps in the next 10-15 years a boutique stadium similar to the Showgrounds and Metricon might be constructed somewhere in Melbourne's south-east, it makes sense rather than cramming all Melbourne AFL matches into two venues with the irony being from next year, Sydney will have three AFL venues as opposed to Melbourne's two. :D

You'd expect them to still be doing that wouldn't you? They'd be completing it soon tho

With stadium construction, the earth-moving stage often takes as long as putting up the grandstand structure.
I haven't heard any reports that it's running behind schedule, so hopefully it's still on track.

Looking really good. Let's hope its filled for every match in 2012

What's the story with the track going all the way around is that staying? I have been to the show and they always have the cars racing around a dirt track on the outside of the grass are they getting rid of that? I hope so but on the webcam it still shows it or is that just from construction? I'm also worried about the damage the show will do with all the cows and horses on the turf. The damage that can do is a worry.

I'd imagine the track would go. The artist impressions all showed a full grass surface. Don't know much more than that unfortunately.

I'd imagine/hope they'd put down mats for the weeks of the show.

Be very interesting to see how they balance the show with the home and away season. Perhaps GWS will play at the Olympic Stadium, or play the Swans at the SCG. But the show runs for a few weeks, so it will be very interesting indeed to see what they do about balancing footy with the new venue.

Of course, there is always the possibility that they play at Manuka in Canberra, or at BOP.

The easter show only goes for a fortnight doesn't it?

GWS home game in CBR one week
GWS vs SYD @ ANZ the next, pull in some of the show crowd

If the show goes for another week we'll have an away game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back