Return of the Swamprats - Get on board b4 it's too late!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toots Hibbert

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
The Swampies, along with a number of other teams were dropped from the current season of the Fantasy Footy League.

IMO this is a pity as the team won the flag two seasons before and draws on a rich tradition. We had some fine posters and Macca19 was a great captain.

TFLUA Tiger who administers the league has left open the possibility of a return as he/she is thinking of expanding the number of sides.

I for one would love to see the return of the Rats to top flight competition. A number of former players recently played in the SA SOO team which defeated Victoria and the Allies to become interstate champs.

If enough people were interested we have three to four months to get our act together and nominate a side. If Macca was willing I feel he ought to captain the side again. Anyone else expressing an interest should be prepared to post a bit in the match threads. It seems to me that desirable qualities in a Swamprats player include a disrespect for authority figures such umpires and judiciary, a capacity to consume large amounts of alcohol and a willingness to engage the opposition in banter before and after matches. A sense of humour is also a highly desirable asset as well as a willingness to wreak vengeance on those who transgress against us.

Would anyone else be interested in resurrecting the Swampies?

Re: Possible return of the Alberton Swamprats?

Looking pretty positive so far.

BTW 2008 is the Year of the Rat in Chinese tradition.

150px-Rat.svg.png
Being the first sign of the Chinese zodiacs, rats are leaders, pioneers and conquerors. They are charming, passionate, charismatic, practical and hardworking. Rat people are endowed with great leadership skills and are the most highly organized, meticulous, and systematic of the twelve signs. Intelligent and cunning at the same time, rats are highly ambitious and strong-willed people who are keen and unapologetic promoters of their own agendas, which often include money and power. They are energetic and versatile and can usually find their way around obstacles, and adapt to various environments easily. A rat's natural charm and sharp demeanor make it an appealing friend for almost anyone, but rats are usually highly exclusive and selective when choosing friends and so often have only a few very close friends whom they trust.

Behind the smiles and charm, rats can be terribly obstinate and controlling, insisting on having things their way no matter what the cost. These people tend to have immense control of their emotions, which they may use as a tool to manipulate and exploit others, both emotionally and mentally. Rats are masters of mind games and can be very dangerous, calculative and downright cruel if the need arises. Quick-tempered and aggressive, they will not think twice about exacting revenge on those that hurt them in any way. Rats need to learn to relax sometimes, as they can be quite obsessed with detail, intolerant and strict, demanding order, obedience, and perfection.

Rats consider others before themselves, at least sometimes, and avoid forcing their ideas onto others. Rats are fair in their dealings and expect the same from others in return, and can be deeply affronted if they feel they have been deceived or that their trust has been abused. Sometimes they set their targets too high, whether in relation to their friends or in their career. But as the years pass, they will become more idealistic and tolerant. If they can develop their sense of self and realize it leaves room for others in their life as well, Rats can find true happiness.

According to tradition, Rats often carry heavy karma and at some point in life may face an identity crisis or some kind of feeling of guilt. Rats are said to often have to work very long and hard for everything they may earn or have in life. However, a Rat born during the day is said to have things a bit easier than those who are born at night. Traditionally, Rats born during the night may face extreme hardships and suffering throughout life. Rats in general should guard themselves against hedonism, as it may lead to self-destruction. Gambling, alcohol and drugs tend to be great temptations to Rat natives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_(zodiac)#Attributes

I've been searching for a team song.

Year of the Rat

Apologies to Al Stewart & Peter Wood

On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
Like a watercolour in the rain
Don't bother asking for explanations
She'll just tell you that she came
In the year of the rat

She doesn't give you time for questions
As she locks up your arm in hers
And you follow 'till your sense of which direction
Completely disappears

By the blue tiled walls near the market stalls
There's a hidden door she leads you to
These days, she says, I feel my life
Just like a river running through
The year of the rat

Well, she looks at you so cooly
And her eyes shine like the moon in the sea
She comes in incense and patchouli
So you take her, to find what's waiting inside
The year of the rat

Well, morning comes and you're still with her
And the bus and the tourists are gone
And you've thrown away the choice and lost your ticket
So you have to stay on

But the drum-beat strains of the night remain
In the rhythm of the new-born day
You know sometime you're bound to leave her
But for now you're going to stay
In the year of the rat

I guess I'd better keep looking. :cool:

looks interesting, what do you actually do. I'm unemployed and on the net for a good 10 hours a day so I'd probably have time to do this :D

As far as playing goes you don't have to do anything. The game is generated by a computer program. What's required is that in the lead up to a game and afterwards you take part in some banter with your team mates and with the opposition.

Here are the rules of the league

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299643

Here's a sample match thread involving the Swamprats. We were full of p*ss and vinegar at this stage as we were the reigning premiers.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306147&highlight=swamprats&page=2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at this stage Id love to be involved again, but probably dont have enough time these days to be Captain.

Twelve expressions of interest so far.

We need at least double that I reckon and they have to people who will post a bit. It wouldn't be any good nominating just to make up the numbers or we'll struggle once the season starts.

Return of the Alberton Swamprats.......it's time to deliver

OK people time to get your shit together and sign up......we want to see the Swamprats return to where they belong - at the top of the table in the Port Adelaide tradition.

Recruitment is starting again in May so please re-nominate if you did earlier this year.

I'm in........:thumbsu:

w00t, feel the energy folks. :thumbsu:

I'm in and I've found some cheerleaders too.

IMG_1874.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back