Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 26, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill
Tell us how you saw/heard the game.

All feedback is welcome, neutral and opposition input is also encouraged, fire away.

A good win to Box Hill, Breust recognised by the commentary as a clear BOG, Stokes 2nd in the Votes.

Northern Bullants: 11.12-78
def by
Box Hill Hawks: 15.10-100

Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: L. Breust 5, J. Hoegel 3, B. Fagan 2, L. Andrews, G. Moss, J. Lisle, T. Duryea, B. Neil
Best Players: E. Curnow, L. Breust, H. Kiel, B. Dowler, J. Hoegel, C. Stokes

Northern Bullants
Goal Kickers: S. Wiggins 2, J. Cachia 2, L. Henderson 2, L. Casboult, R. Kerr, D. Ellard, T. Thomas, A. Arrowsmith
Best Players: D. Ellard, R. Gale, A. Iacobucci, A. Arrowsmith, J. McCorkell, J. Cachia

I'll post a report when I get home tonight I can tell you that our continues to confuse dowler today he played full back

I understand that it could be hard for Beau to readjust his game in order to become a negating defender, but if you cast an eye over Gilham's performances in 2010, you would have to agree he's under some pressure to hold his position in our team, the only thing making him an automatic selection is the lack of options to replace him, it looks like we're working on that.

I'll post a report when I get home tonight I can tell you that our continues to confuse dowler today he played full back

Ok i think they should leave him there now for the rest of the year. Play him consistently there. Don't move him around. With players coming back from injury we will have plenty of HFC players playing for box hill leave him down back see what he can do.

I know he has shown something up forward last year but it is a way he can force himself into the team and with maturity could pinch hit up forward if necessary or if there are no match ups we are dying for a KPD with his height.

Ok i think they should leave him there now for the rest of the year. Play him consistently there. Don't move him around. With players coming back from injury we will have plenty of HFC players playing for box hill leave him down back see what he can do.

I know he has shown something up forward last year but it is a way he can force himself into the team and with maturity could pinch hit up forward if necessary or if there are no match ups we are dying for a KPD with his height.

I understand however we were in a worse position pre season 2009 why didn't we do it then it is so frustrating

I went to the game today. Caught the last quarter of the reserves. Milne looked good. Provided plenty of run off the half back flank. Would be surprised if he didn't play Box Hill Seniors next week. Grimley went off in the last quarter and was literally put on ice (had ice on his right calf). Think he's ok as the trainer I spoke to didn't know of any injury to him. Very very skinny and raw. There's no way he'll play seniors this year.

The seniors was a good game. Brief summary of the Hawks listed players.

Breust - Best of the Hawks players. Kicked some very clever goals.

Dowler - Played a pretty good game. Spent the whole day at full back / centre half back. Spoiled really well and I was happy with his positioning. My only criticism would be he punches the ball into dangerous spots.

Skipper - Average. Only won a few hitouts and doesn't tackle enough when the ball hits the ground. Picked up a few possessions around the ground. Thought Renton was a much better ruckman for Box Hill.

Murphy - Turned it over a few times early with bad kicks. Got better as the game went on but didn't do enough to warrant senior selection.

Lisle - Pretty good game. Provided a strong target and when he couldn't mark it he made sure the ball went to ground so guys like Breust had something to rove to. Is definately not suited for a rucking role.

Stokes - Spent a lot of the day tagging Mitch Robinson. Did a pretty good job I thought. Tackled hard and was good in traffic.

Duryea - Good game. Didn't get a heap of the ball but when he did he used it well. Took a good mark in the forward line in the last and kicked a goal. He's capable of winning the contested footy.

Savage - Played in the backline. Was average.

JKT - This is harsh but I don't like the way he plays. He fumbles a lot and has poor awareness in traffic. Was having a Sunday stroll on the wing in the last and got tackled from behind resulting in him hurting his arm/shoulder. Came back on so should be ok.

Osborne didn't play however he was in the crowd watching along with Simon Taylor (walking fine), Liam Shiels, Shoenmaker, Morton, Max Bailey and Whitecross. Clarko and Simpson were there watching as well.

Let me know if you want more details or if I've missed anyone.

Hawk-eye, just on Dowler, was he playing right on his opponents hammer, or closing ground late to effect the spoil? I guess what I'm looking for is a comparison of what his defensive style is like.

If his style reminded you of anyone currently playing, I'd greatly appreciate the feedback, the reason I ask is that Dainty Beau Diddly has never shown a tendency to find body contact, which is something that should be encouraged for a defender in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk eye great report. Did breust or duryea spend anytime in the middle or were they just up forward? Do you think bruest can step up to afl level & where would he fit (given our small fwd stocks are actally pretty good)
Did dowler do enough for a senior recall? (or anyone else for that matter)
disappoitningto hear savage was poor - was one I was hoping would begin to step up given our dearth of midfielders with pace.

Hawk-eye, just on Dowler, was he playing right on his opponents hammer, or closing ground late to effect the spoil? I guess what I'm looking for is a comparison of what his defensive style is like.

If his style reminded you of anyone currently playing, I'd greatly appreciate the feedback, the reason I ask is that Dainty Beau Diddly has never shown a tendency to find body contact, which is something that should be encouraged for a defender in my opinion.

His style was probably like Gilham in terms of positioning. He mainly played a metre or two from behind. The Bullants forwards didn't get the best service and there was plenty of high balls coming in. I didn't see Beau get beaten in the air once. He did get beaten on the lead a couple of times but wasn't much he could do. He spent a bit of time on Lachie Henderson and I thought he did well. Bullants didn't have any power forwards which I think Dowler would struggle with.

First post updated.

Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: L. Breust 5, J. Hoegel 3, B. Fagan 2, L. Andrews, G. Moss, J. Lisle, T. Duryea, B. Neil
Best Players: E. Curnow, L. Breust, H. Kiel, B. Dowler, J. Hoegel, C. Stokes

Northern Bullants
Goal Kickers: S. Wiggins 2, J. Cachia 2, L. Henderson 2, L. Casboult, R. Kerr, D. Ellard, T. Thomas, A. Arrowsmith
Best Players: D. Ellard, R. Gale, A. Iacobucci, A. Arrowsmith, J. McCorkell, J. Cachia

Hawk eye great report. Did breust or duryea spend anytime in the middle or were they just up forward? Do you think bruest can step up to afl level & where would he fit (given our small fwd stocks are actally pretty good)
Did dowler do enough for a senior recall? (or anyone else for that matter)
disappoitningto hear savage was poor - was one I was hoping would begin to step up given our dearth of midfielders with pace.

I'd only player Dowler if Gilham got injured or we were playing an opposition with 3 genuine tall forwards. Look we all know what Dowler can be like, especially when his confidence is low. But today he did his job and I didn't see him shirk any contests.

I rate Bruest highly and if Hawthorn doesn't senior list him next year someone else will. He does everything you want of a small forward. He is clever, wins the contested footy and is a good kick at goal. He played at half forward all day.

Duryea played a bit of midfield in the first half and mainly forward in the second. My favourite play of his (apart from his specy) was when he bet 3 Bullants players in the middle of the ground.

I had high hopes for Savage last year but he's having second year blues.

I don't think anyone from today will play next week when there's Franklin, Mitchell and Burgoyne to come in.

this post is in addition to hawk-eye's fantastic report.

galon - skipper played and was rested last quarter. if there is a spot on the list for him, he is available for selection next week. all we need is 20% game time for skipper given renouf played 80% yesterday.

Skipper - let me start by saying that i had tears in my eyes when i said hi to the 'collussus' robbie campbell, i'd give my left ball bag to have him in our team again. Skipper is not the answer to our issues, he is lanky at 193 cm and hardly won any taps (but we don't have options do we). i guess the positive was that he was up against warnock. i agree renton looks better and had his best game today. Well, i assume we will see skip next week, but was less than impressed with his jumping abilities (we have huge ruck issues, this year and next year).

Taylor was there and walking fine

Dowler - i am a huge fan for dowler and i know there are a lot of bashers, however, we need to remmeber that this kid has not been able to settle into a position in his 4 yrs at the club. for the first 3, he was built up as a mobile winger, and his body reflected that, skinny with littlle body on body work.

Last year, got a chance to play in defence, done well, was dropped (mysteriously against adelaide), then came back and done well as a fwd at end of last year. our hopes were high for him as a fwd. This yr he came in 3 weeks ago, showed alot as a leading fwd (CHF for me), then last week, was sent packing to the wing, then the 2nd half in the ruck (in his 3rd game back), way to build some form right. Well, to my dismay today, he played CHB then full back. He actually done well, showed no signs of a hip injury. he spoiled well, and showed enough for me. The only explanation is that we are building our defensive depth. The million dollar question is why was did not play him at full back last year??? when we had nothing and played tom murphy there? well, lacks logic.

In summary, those dowler bashers need to put it in perspective, we would be stupid to get rid of a 196cm utility, he is a key player to the future of our club and is a victim of the stupidity of our coaching staff for me.

moving off my rant.

Murphy - did not look like a AFL player today, with one hilarious moment in the first qtr, where he was awarded a free kick for push in the back while he stood clueless thinkin he got done for 'holding the ball' hilarious, as he was layin on the ball i scream 'tom, its your free kick',

sorry, continuation of my post, as i accidently 'submitted it'

i cannot believe that savage is an 'emergency' he has been poor. i know he is young, but he has went backwards. don't want to bash young players but he looks lost and 'weak'. a bit of perspective, i wish we had mitch robinson in our team, he is a 2nd year player and a tank, he has put on alot of body strength over the summer and did not lose any speed, i look at savage, he has hardly put on any weight, is not fast and cannot tackle or win a ball. it is dissapointing, as i believe he has a future at our club. his performance needs to improve soon, i hope.

KT - poor game, very selfish player today. leave it at that, no senior recall

moss - i am not a fan of moss, no secret there. had a good second half, however, is slow, and does not pressure opponents, he cannot be pushing for selection on todays performance

duryea - done better today. i am concerned abt his speed though. took a huge mark in the last qtr and kivcked a banana from the boundary. add him to our talent list, however, needs to work on his speed

lisle - big fan of lisle, however, made some stupid mistakes, overall solid performance (much better than morton would).

someone asked why he is not playing defence? good question, never played there last year when we needed a defender. he needs to add 10kg in the near future to take the next step

save the best to last!!!!

PUNKY- love this kid. 5 goals, brilliant and smart. if there is a spot put him next week, he has earnt his spot and is really the only guy pushing for selection based on perfromance.

damn, those bullant supporters are a pack of 'dero's' my god the abuse i copped for cheering on my team was hilarious

riley milne got through the development game ok to.

hope that helps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back