Les Foote passes away

Remove this Banner Ad

What a shame, heard alot about this blokes footballing ability.

R.I.P

This is horrible news.:(

One of our true greats has gone.

An old timer once told me that this man single handedly dragged us into our first Grand Final appearance in 1950.

Foote must be congratulated for his inspiring leadership, his tireless play and many, almost single-handed efforts to lift his side. This display, together with his performances in other finals, stamps him as the outstanding player of the finals series.

- R. Reynolds (Triple Brownlow medallist, premiership captain and coach)

Praise doesn't come much higher than that.

Vale, Les Foote.

Met him at Arden St final training - Grand Final week 1998, he was reminising about when he used to call the place home. Loved the club.

R.I.P

A decent tribute....

Kangaroos mourn legend
5:06:57 PM Wed 12 April, 2006
kangaroosfc.com.au

The North Melbourne Football Club is mourning one of the club greats after Les Foote, 81, passed away on Tuesday.

Kangaroos Club legend Allen Aylett paid tribute to Foote, saying that his legacy to the North Melbourne Football Club will never be forgotten.

"The impact Les made on this club and the competition was remarkable," Aylett said.

"Les Foote was one of those players that people came to watch play. I recall at the start of my career the great esteem that the club and football community held for his ability," Aylett said.

"I can remember the kids would wait in droves at the player’s entrance to Arden Street in the hope that they would get to carry Les Foote’s bag into the ground – he was a latter day Glenn Archer."

Advertising
"He was a marvelous player and a great person off the field."

Foote was named in the centre of the North Melbourne Team of the Century, was an inaugural inductee into the club’s Hall Of Fame, as well being inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.

At last year’s 80-year North Story celebrations he was named the Shinboner of the Era (1925-50).

Famous for his superb ball handling skill, and as a dazzling footballer he could weave, twist and baulk his way out of seemingly impossible situations. He was just 23 when Wally Carter gave him the captaincy, and he led the club to its first Grand Final in 1950.

His game was built on a potent cocktail of balance, power, pace and most importantly courage.

Les Foote North Melbourne Playing Record

Games: 134 (1941-1951)
Goals: 105.
* North Melbourne Team of the Century – Centre
* Won three Syd Barker Medals – 1945, 49-50.
* State Representative in five seasons (10 matches).
* Captain for 68 matches (1948-51).
* North Melbourne Football Club Hall of Fame
* AFL Hall of Fame

In 1952-53, Foote headed to the Riverina to play and coach Berrigan before he returned to the VFL to captain-coach St Kilda (playing 33 games) in 1954-55. He won the Saints best and fairest in 1954.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=257273

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad news.

I don't remember him as a player but my father regaled me with stories of him. He would say " Les Foote would have the ball and an opponent would be about to tackle him but Les would handball over the head of the oncoming player then dodge around him and gather the ball and be away". I was always very impressed by this even on the 500th rendition!

Vale Les

Flag Man said:
Foote must be congratulated for his inspiring leadership, his tireless play and many, almost single hand-handed efforts to lift his side. This display, together with his performances in other finals, stamps him as the outstanding player of the finals series.

- R. Reynolds (Triple Brownlow medallist, premiership captain and coach)

That's well worth quoting.

R.I.P

He is one of my very early recollections of going to the footy as a kid.

My late father, a Demon, said that Les was one of the best players he ever saw. In particular, he was a great ball handler and, as many have said previously, hard to tackle. Dad used to tell me that he practised his doging and weaving through peak hour pedestrian traffic near Flinders St station.

Imagine the pedestrians as Les blind-turned and weaved his way through the "heavy traffic".

Onya Les!

Without having the opportunity to watch him play and reading that he represented the State team from 1946-51 among winning the B&F three times at North and once at StK, it's sad to hear the news of his passing.

R.I.P. Champ.

RIP Champ. He was my dad's coach in the North U19's, and a legend of the club, in every sense of the word.

The NMFC family's thought's are with the Foote family......

T'toes
Less was my biological father , found him and my mother by birth about 25 years ago . Dad asked for me the day he died sadly ,while family were around his bed . Was the only way his family found out about me RIP Dad even though was awhile ago .

Less was my biological father , found him and my mother by birth about 25 years ago . Dad asked for me the day he died sadly ,while family were around his bed . Was the only way his family found out about me RIP Dad even though was awhile ago .

Geez mate, that’s a lot to deal with. Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. He was and remains a legend of the NMFC.

By virtue of your noble origins you are henceforth an honorary Shinboner. Your father one of of our truly great players.

Twinkletoes summed it up perfectly. Hope things have been ok for you mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back