News 2012 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
This is taken from this months edition of Inside Football. Its interview with Scott Watters.. Cant find a online version of the article so have typed out the questions for you so you all can have a read...

Q: Every person has perceptions of particular clubs from outside. Now that you have been at your new club for a couple months, what pre-conception has changed the most for you?

SW: I think you build up perceptions of players when you coach against them, and in many ways you try and make that a negative perception. The biggest change for me is once you start to work with this playing group you really see the true character of people like Stephen Milne, Leigh Montagna and the young kids like Rhys Stanley – they are real quality kids. From outside looking in you paint enemy in a bad light. As a defensive coach against Stephen Milne it’s different once you come to the club and get appreciation of what character he has.

Q: What is the biggest difference you want the football world to see in your team in 2012?

SW: I’m not too fussed with what people see. There are some traits of this football club that I have admired – their intensity, their resilience and, I reckon, their pride in performance. We’ve got to maintain that. I don’t want this group to under-estimate their own capacity, I think there is big upside left in this group. There’s an outside perception from some quarters that on back of Grand Final appearances a couple years ago and a slide last year that a decline will continue. That’s an absolute fallacy. I don’t buy into that.

Q: Since being appointed to your new position, from whom have you sought advice?

SW: Mick Malthouse is one who I’ve spoken to on a semi-regular basis. I’ll continue to do that. And there are three or four other people who aren’t necessarily football people. One from business background is Gavin Hegney, who can give me different perspective. Information is where you find it and there a lot of good experienced people in the industry and outside the industry.

Q: Having been an assistant coach and observing coaches of all teams, whats the one thing you don’t want to do as a coach?

SW: Without being specific, there’s a lot of things you watch when you are going through a learning process and think “That works really well.” Being under Mick Malthouse for the past two years I think his relationship with his players was an underestimated strength. From a positive point you see the importance of that relationship. I have seen coaches who haven’t had that close rapport and at some point that puts the whole program under pressure. Communication needs to be really clear and respectful.

Q: Whenever a new coach is appointed some players fall by the wayside and others step up a level. Which players have already stood up in your eyes as being capable of playing a bigger part in 2012?

SW: There’s probably a dozen of them. David Armitage is one at the moment who is really showing real signs to me that he wants to progress as a footballer. Rhys Stanley is working really hard and we are starting to see some confidence around his performance. Ahmed Saad is pretty exciting for someone in his first year in the program. Tom Simpkin is getting through his best preseason in a couple years and there is big upside to him. Tommy Ledger is another who falls into that bracket and he is healthier than he has been. He is an untapped resource. I knew Tom’s background in WA. Of the senior older guys Justin Koschitzke is really growing as a leader and he’s dragging some players with him.

Q: Dealing with the media is part of AFL coaching. What is your philosophy about that part of the job?

SW: A lot of it is about relationships. I’m not going to agree with everything that is said in the media, and, the media isn’t going to agree with everything I say or do but if that comes from basis of a respectful relationship we can all work together because we are part of the same relationships with the media don’t always go together but we have to manage that.

Q: All the new coaches are talking up playing a brutal, physical, tough style. Is that something that can be coached into a player or does it have to be there in some form to start with?

SW: If you select wisely and make good decisions early, that’s the first step. If its an inherent quality that’s good but it can be coached. There’s some slight alterations to our game plan. We’ve made some progress on that. We need to be more explosive. Our conditioning program has adjusted slightly to a powerful brand of football. If you cant play power football – that’s to be brutal at stoppages and be explosive with your running – then you will be left behind.

Does Milne have to pass 500 goals before anyone outside the club will start respecting him? Only 10 to go then!

They must brainwash people at the filth not to hear the chants and comments from their own supporters.

Sure, it's important to try and get an edge to win games - but if it's OK to stoop this low it kinda green-lights it for everyone else (unless you say something relatively innocuous towards a filth player, which evidently justifies being evicted from the ground).

Sorry if no-one else reads into the comment like that, but it stood out for me (along with Kosi growing as a leader at 29yo and Rhys starting to look the goods - again).

BTW - thanks thunda.

Does Milne have to pass 500 goals before anyone outside the club will start respecting him? Only 10 to go then!

They must brainwash people at the filth not to hear the chants and comments from their own supporters.

Sure, it's important to try and get an edge to win games - but if it's OK to stoop this low it kinda green-lights it for everyone else (unless you say something relatively innocuous towards a filth player, which evidently justifies being evicted from the ground).

Sorry if no-one else reads into the comment like that, but it stood out for me (along with Kosi growing as a leader at 29yo and Rhys starting to look the goods - again).

BTW - thanks thunda.

I didn't see it that way Squizz but I can understand your POV. I think making a comment regarding Milne's past simply gives air to a dead story which is unnecessary and takes away from the positivity which is slowly building for 2012.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127617/default.aspx

Introduction
St Kilda's players have relished their first pre-season under new coach Scott Watters and high performance manager Peter Burge, who have brought a fresh approach and new ideas. One of Watters' more unusual innovations is the 'Circle of Zen'. The club has also introduced an 'elite performance series' of events and workshops, designed to speed up players' "physiological, psychological, welfare and leadership" development. First in this series was participation in the Mornington Grand 1200-metre ocean swim.

Medical room
Saints fans have been delighted to see Lenny Hayes taking part in full training and looking extremely fit, after the star midfielder missed nearly all of 2011 with a knee injury. Watters says Nick Riewoldt is "flying" on the track, his post-season knee operation having barely interrupted his preparation for next year. Brownlow Medal runner-up Nick Dal Santo is still recovering from a broken hand, but has been able to maintain his fitness and is on track to play in round one.

Summer superstar
A new coach means all players are desperate to prove themselves, and Watters has been particularly impressed with Adam Schneider, Stephen Milne and Justin Koschitzke.

Draftee watch

The club's rookie draft picks started their careers at St Kilda with a bonding camp at Phillip Island in December, before being eased into training before Christmas.

Putting the feet up
The Saints will be back on the track on January 4.

What they say
Watters "They have to fight for their spots. There are no guarantees, there are no promises. It is a challenging environment, and I'm not backing away from that. From their reports this has been their best pre-season in many, many seasons, so I'm thrilled with the way they're going."

Blake "We've certainly concentrated on the footballs a lot more."

I reckon this bit is a bit of a dig at Ross though!! :D

I have seen coaches who haven’t had that close rapport and at some point that puts the whole program under pressure. Communication needs to be really clear and respectful.

I didn't see it that way Squizz but I can understand your POV. I think making a comment regarding Milne's past simply gives air to a dead story which is unnecessary and takes away from the positivity which is slowly building for 2012.

I respectfully disagree, Guide.

I think he knows that people's perceptions of Milne are there already, and whether they're restated isn't going to change that. What will change anything is somebody who came in with that negative perception deeply ingrained, and actually meeting him.

I reckon this bit is a bit of a dig at Ross though!! :D

'I have seen coaches who haven’t had that close rapport and at some point that puts the whole program under pressure. Communication needs to be really clear and respectful'

Well there you go, soon as I read it - I thought of Rocket Eade, not Lyon :eek:

By the way thanks for putting that Inside Football article up - you can't help but feel upbeat when reading Watters views on players, pre-season and game plans....

Thanks Squizzy for the AFL one

BTW - thanks thunda.

Who cares what people outside the club think of Milne. He's a favorite amongst all saints supporters and when his football career is over he'll be remembered by all footy fans as one of the greatest small forwards.
I mean can we honestly say we like Eddie Betts? He's a pretty good small forward, but I hate him. Its the same sh$t.

I mean can we honestly say we like Eddie Betts? He's a pretty good small forward, but I hate him. Its the same sh$t.

If only it was.

*sorry guys - I was meant to be "out" :D*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a little odd having nothing to rant and bitch about right now.

Academy Director and Opposition Analyst should be close to being announced surely, feels like the Director's arrival has been imminent for aaages.

There were a couple things in that 2011 "wrap" the Hun did for NYE;

Things Best Forgotten said:
The first three quarters of Geelong v St Kilda, Round 1.
IF you can remember back that far, St Kilda led 4.11 (35) to 1.9 (15) deep into time-on in the third quarter in one of the worst AFL games for some time. Who would have known what Geelong was about to produce over the next six months?

2012 Games to Put in Your Diary said:
The Lyon Cup: St Kilda v Fremantle, Etihad Stadium, Round 4
ROSS Lyon comes back to Melbourne to face his former team for the first time.

Big Questions said:
Will Nick Riewoldt overcome his knee troubles to return to his best?
ALL the talk out of St Kilda is that the champ is flying, albeit on a modified training program.

Things We Don't Want to See said:
Endless speculation about who will be the Giants' out-of-contract signings at season's end.
MAGPIES and Saints fans had better be ready for the circus surrounding Scott Pendlebury and Brendon Goddard until their boys put pen to paper.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/gascoyne/a/-/sport/12481186/crippling-cripps/

Jamie Cripps is becoming very familiar with the rehabilitation room.

Cripps is confident of a return to the training track in the new year.

The (compartment) syndrome caused his legs to tighten up and made it difficult to run over long distances.

“Lenny Hayes was there recovering from his knee injury so we did a lot of stuff together and he showed me through it (rehab)."

“I put a bit of weight on and I have all my strength back in my legs.”

Watters has outlined a new role for ... 2012. “He wants me playing more backline.”

Nice find Squizz.... I like the sound of Crippsy off the backline..

I like the sound of Crippsy off the backline..

Yeah, I was hoping Cuz would've come on quicker - as he's a much better kick.

But this (a real dasher off half back) is a missing link for us. Gilbo used to play this role well, but then his kicking / decision-making went off. Whilst initially I hoped he'd recapture this form in 2012 it seems he'll play more of a defensive role this year.

Cripps certainly has the athleticism (a nice leap to go with the pace). Sounds like he's gained some strength. Not sure about his kicking, but certainly worth a go.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kildas-supercoach-bargains/story-e6frf9jf-1226227724098

ST KILDA offers a host of potential big-name bargains for SuperCoach next season - if the flag window stays open.

The Saints' fall in 2011 has led to some big names being available at discount prices, led by skipper Nick Riewoldt.

The big question is whether they can arrest their slump under new coach Scott Watters, or has the premiership window closed at Seaford? That's the first of many questions confronting the Saints, and SuperCoaches.

Early indications are Watters thinks the Saints can rise again, and if they do expect the revival to be led by the club's bona-fide stars, many of whom had below-par seasons in 2011.

The biggest bargain at St Kilda is midfielder Lenny Hayes, who will start 2012 more than $80,000 cheaper than he was this time last season.

That, of course, is thanks to a knee injury that ended his year in Round 2.

He will be 32 when the season starts and coming off a second knee reconstruction, so can he can back to his All-Australian form?

Similar questions hang over the skipper. Is Nick Riewoldt on the decline thanks to the forward press and a chronic knee problem? Or was 2011 an aberration?

After averaging 109 points a game in 2010, his average slumped to just 87 last year, and his $472,400 price tag reflects that. If he gets back to anywhere near his best, that price won't be available for long.

Brendon Goddard started 2011 as the most expensive player in SuperCoach. While he disappointed lots of coaches, his average of 108 points a game wasn't too shabby and he is still the top-priced defender in the game at $584,700. But that is almost $50 cheaper than before Round 1 last season.

Sam Gilbert ($432,700) and Leigh Montagna ($545,900) are also unders - if they can get back to their best in 2012.

Not all Saints went backwards in 2011.

The biggest SuperCoach success was ruckman Ben McEvoy, who will start 2012 priced at $548,800 - $240,000 up on his 2011 starting price. Jack Steven (up $120,000), Nick Dal Santo (up $100,00), Sam Fisher (up $94,400) and evergreen goalsneak Stephen Milne (up $81,800) have also had big prince jumps.

POSSIBLE SAINT BARGAINS

Lenny Hayes (mid) $422,000
Sam Gilbert (def) $432,700
Nick Riewoldt (fwd) $472,400
Leigh Montagna (mid) $545,900
Brendon Goddard (def/mid) $584,700

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ps-back-in-rehab/story-e6frf9jf-1226235468734

LUCKLESS St Kilda youngster Jamie Cripps has been sidelined again after tearing a quad muscle in pre-season training.

Cripps is back in the rehab group, where he spent most of the second half of his debut season after suffering compartment syndrome which required surgery on his calves.

Cripps also suffers from type 1 diabetes, an ailment diagnosed just after he was drafted by the Saints in November 2010.

The 19-year-old from WA, who impressed in four senior appearances last year, suffered a minor tear and is expected to return to the training track soon.

''Rehab is not a very fun place to be,'' he told the Geraldston Guardian.

And Cripps, who played as a mid-sized forward and kicked two goals against Melbourne in his best performance for the Saints, said when he returns it could be in a new role.

''He (coach Scott Watters) wants me playing more backline,'' he said. ''I like to play backline, you get to run and carry.

''I just want to have a good year and try to have an injury-free season.''

Pardon the intrusion. Was talking to a well known WA football identity recently who knows Watters very well and rates him massively. I think his answers in the OP illustrate he is articulate, driven and a little on the humble side - I reckon you guys have picked up the ideal successor to Lyon , well done.

Pardon the intrusion. Was talking to a well known WA football identity recently who knows Watters very well and rates him massively. I think his answers in the OP illustrate he is articulate, driven and a little on the humble side - I reckon you guys have picked up the ideal successor to Lyon , well done.

I hope your right F2G.
When we first recruited Lyon there was always a concern that he would be overly defensive. IMO I think he was, though it worked for us for a while.
Most humans have strengths and weaknesses, and on the surface it appears that Watters has strengths that will adress some weaknesses that Lyon had. What Watter's weaknesses has remains to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back