coyler

Team Captain
Oct 26, 2002
Ireland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I see on gaaboard.com that the young Ardboe & Tyrone minor star says he is not reurning to the Swans after being home for the Christmas break.
He is on a two year rookie contract so I hope he had the good manners to talk it over with the Swans first.

Don't know if it was homesickness or what but Kennelly ios bound to be disapointed.

Taken from eircom.net.

Coney decides to stay at home

on 05/01/2009 18:51:51

Tyrone youngster Kyle Coney will not be returning to Australia after Christmas holidays spent at home and is instead focused on featuring for local side Ardboe and, hopefully, the All-Ireland champions.

The 18-year-old footballer signed a two-year rookie contract with Sydney Swans but after five-and-a-half weeks with the club he has decided to remain at home.

"I'm staying in Ireland for the time being," Coney said today. "I was scheduled to go back on 2 January but the time came to make a decision and I decided not to go back.

"I weighed up my options when I was in Australia. Now I want to keep my options open and I want to be playing football for Ardboe and Tyrone.

"It was a very, very big decision. It took a lot of thinking but in my opinion, I've made the right decision," he told BBC Sport.

"About a week after I came home (for Christmas), I said to my family that this is where I want to be playing football."

Coney won the All-Ireland minors title with Tyrone and was urged to stay by Red Hand star Seán Cavanagh, but like a number of young GAA talents he was tempted by a trip Down Under.

He insists, however, the decision to stay at home was one he made on his own.

"They treated me really well but when I came home, I know this was the place I wanted to be," said Coney. "The plan is to be a part of Ardboe plans this year and hopefully some part of Tyrone's plans too.

"This was my decision. There was no pressure at all (from anybody)."

The bloke has signed a contract for ****'s sake! Can we be compensated? Another rookie pick or something?

This really pisses me off. We gave the bloke a shot, he signs a contract, and then pisses off. I'd be absolutely fine with it if he decided before the rookie draft. Then we could have made arrangements. But this is just shit.

The bloke has signed a contract for ****'s sake! Can we be compensated? Another rookie pick or something?

This really pisses me off. We gave the bloke a shot, he signs a contract, and then pisses off. I'd be absolutely fine with it if he decided before the rookie draft. Then we could have made arrangements. But this is just shit.
He can't help being homesick. Nobody can help that. He has to travel halfway around the world just to play AFL.

Breach of contract.

This boy robbed someone of a chance of a rookie contract who could have had the opportunity to develop.

I've no problem him deciding to stay in Ireland if he was not happy but the time to decide that was before he put his name forward for the draft.

The only thing I’ll hold back judgment on is if he is being handled back in Ireland by club veterans and officials who are bullying the young lad into staying. Our reps need to find this out.

It might be about time we opted to give young local boys a crack instead of chasing the next Kennelly. What are the chances of finding another Kennelly? The jury is still out on Murphy also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft. Obviously fearful of incurring the wrath of Aaron Bruce's legion of (disgruntled) fans (and with good reason too, after reading that crown jewels thread! :eek: ) ;)

Seriously though- sucks, but that's the risk you run when recruiting players from Ireland where the pull from their home country is just too great to be overcome.

I wonder if the Swans could request another pick so we could get another player.

Very much doubt it. It's pretty much tough t***ies on our part. Aaron Bruce must be spewing as we took Coney with a conventional rookie pick, not an international one.

The Kangaroos had a similar fate when we traded Mark "Space Cadet" Powell to them. Powell gave the game away after all the drafts were concluded and were not given another pick.

To be honest all the Irish guys in the AFL have gone back to play in the break over the past few years if they are fit.
That's fair enough for an established Irishman like Kennelly or Clarke, but I found it really weird for a new player, who would need to acclimatise, to do so.

haha dudley

i hope he chokes on a ****ing dildo then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back