Preview GWS vs Sydney Swans Saturday 5th August @Giants Stadium 7:30pm - How to backpack your way to Inner Western Sydney

Will Toby Greene destroy us again?

• Yes

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look on who Clarke lined up on when we've played GWS in recent times;
RD 7 2023 Whitfield
RD 20 2022 Cumming and then on HH when HH went back 2H. (Whitfield played but was coming back from a two week break and had little influence).
RD 1 2022 DNP
EF 2022 DNP
RD 18 2021 DNP
RD 5 2021 DNP
RD 12 2020 DNP
RD 20 2019 Whitfield

In the games where Clarke DNP, Wicks was in the team.
In none of the games above did they both play.

Clarke might have been a terrible option as a sub, but I can certainly see why he and Wicks are both playing this week.
As Kiama Chris said above;
He (Wicks) applies general pressure while Clarke tags a specific player. When that player is off the field Clarke will be too.

GWS ranks 2nd in the comp in R50s and it's a key part of their game.
There is little difference between us and GWS in contested possessions, clearances, marks I50 but they have slightly more intercepts and uncontested possessions, but for them it primarily starts in the D50. They can overuse the ball coming out and they are 2nd in handballs league wide (averaging nearly 20 more than us per game).

Pressure the Giants across the ground and don't give them time and space and release the Chad and Errol show. :thumbsu:

Not Wicks' role. He applies general pressure while Clarke tags a specific player. When that player is off the field Clarke will be too.
so who does Calrke take this week? whitfield, who really hurts you with his delivery or Ash who kills you with his speed. He couldn't keep up with Ash. Idon will get Heeney at some stage I should think.

I do not like Parker & Mills in the mids together. Although this week they are opposed by bullocking mids in Coniglio & Ward. Green in the centre on Errol. That is not so bad. Our wings are a good match for Kelly & Callaghan. Their forward line is problematic if you don't contain Daniels, Hogan & of course Greene. Francis to Riccardi, McCartin to Hogan. but who draws the short straw to take Toby? The candidates are: Lloyd, Cunningham or Fox. I think Robbie would be best. Harry had him last time, for some unknown reason when he was not on him Olie was. That was strange. When Greene goes into the mids, around 20 minutes every match, make sure there is a hard tag. Rowbottom.

I am not sure of this match. They have been playing marginally better than us. We have serious lapses that cause the opposition to get a run on. They do too but not to the same degree. They win clearances and this has been a huge problem for us. Stopping clearance and stoppage leakage. We can't allow them to just waltz out of the centre or the stoppages or we will be destroyed. We also can't allow Taylor to just mark the ball at will. We need to shut him and Himmelberg down at the same time marking or bringing the ball to ground ourselves. We need to spot up players not bomb. I know the bomb kick is a Horse favourite but maybe lead up and back? That seems to work for us because our forwards, except McLean, are basic leading forwards. Amartey can get space, so can Logan. Will also creates space. Need to use those leads and forget the Taylor fit long bomb

Everyone complaining that we don't have a plan for Greene, now we bring in Clamps and everyone complains!
He will not play on Greene. He plays in the forward line. So I do not see your point. He could not play on Greene anyway as Greene would kick 10 on him.

Just had a look on who Clarke lined up on when we've played GWS in recent times;
RD 7 2023 Whitfield
RD 20 2022 Cumming and then on HH when HH went back 2H. (Whitfield played but was coming back from a two week break and had little influence).
RD 1 2022 DNP
EF 2022 DNP
RD 18 2021 DNP
RD 5 2021 DNP
RD 12 2020 DNP
RD 20 2019 Whitfield

In the games where Clarke DNP, Wicks was in the team.
In none of the games above did they both play.

Clarke might have been a terrible option as a sub, but I can certainly see why he and Wicks are both playing this week.
As Kiama Chris said above;

GWS ranks 2nd in the comp in R50s and it's a key part of their game.
There is little difference between us and GWS in contested possessions, clearances, marks I50 but they have slightly more intercepts and uncontested possessions, but for them it primarily starts in the D50. They can overuse the ball coming out and they are 2nd in handballs league wide (averaging nearly 20 more than us per game).

Pressure the Giants across the ground and don't give them time and space and release the Chad and Errol show. :thumbsu:
There's not a massive gap with Ash, but Whitfield is higher in R50s, metres gained, intercepts. So when he's down back he has to be the one to lock down on (via Clarke).

Hayward could try and make Ash accountable.

Roberts was on limited minutes and probably played just two thirds of the game. The only full quarter he played was the first where he had 16 possessions and distributed the ball with great skill.
He was wonderful in the first. Some of his decision making was elite. I can't wait to see him have a full AFL season

Answering who will play on our smalls

Perryman, Idon, Ash & Whitfield
Haynes also. Ash and Whitfield won't be given lockdown roles, so you'd think we'll actively send Clarke to one and they'll put the other "on" Hayward or Wicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not a massive gap with Ash, but Whitfield is higher in R50s, metres gained, intercepts. So when he's down back he has to be the one to lock down on (via Clarke).

Hayward could try and make Ash accountable.
If Hayward goes to Ash then who gets to have Haynes? Hayward always plays well on Haynes

IMO we are not anywhere near consistent enough across the park to have so many players in negative roles. I feel like it will backfire. We are short of winners in the team this year.
I agree about the negative tactics. Horse needs to leave Paul Roos tactics at home. Footy has moved on and the putting one back tactic rarely works these days because as soon as you do the opponents start to exploit your lack of players at the fall of the ball. The Extra t the ball means the mids tire well before they should especially as we are not at peak fitness anyway.

whatever mate. Was just thanking the fans and hoping for a good game.
I think you guys will win easily. Home deck. Best form in 2-3 years. Clearances. Big word that and we have a small amount of wins in that area. I was not having a go at you just the fact that the govt has no plans to expand the stadium. It could easily expand to 35,000-40,000 which would be wonderful for our games. After all we now have 66,000 members and i would think you have 33,000 and growing.

Will be all swans , greater waste of space have about 5000 that go
Actually, GWs have 33,000 members and they do go to games. but due to them playing in two venues instead of one it is difficult to maintain good crowd numbers. Their ground only holds 27,000 and Manuka only 16,000. The NSw govt needs to expand the Giants Stadium to at least 35,000 within the next 5 years. It is overdue.

What sort of beer , i hear there is a new one up there called Scallop Lager , no potato's used in the making
A choice of about 30 beers I should think. Boutique, VB, Tooheys, Reichs & many more. They also have a choice of food stalls that is the best of any footy ground in Aus

I agree about the negative tactics. Horse needs to leave Paul Roos tactics at home. Footy has moved on and the putting one back tactic rarely works these days because as soon as you do the opponents start to exploit your lack of players at the fall of the ball. The Extra t the ball means the mids tire well before they should especially as we are not at peak fitness anyway.
To be fair, sometimes the coaches have no choice. For example, if the boys are gasses towards the end of a quarter, putting one behind the ball to stem the bleeding can be the only option. Likewise an extra at the contest if we're getting smashed there. But I do agree that negative moves like this shouldn't be routine and only as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back