Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The Swans spread their wings and head across the Nullarbor in a game that could well decide if we end up with top 5 pick or by some mathematical miracle make finals...Its been that sort season for the Swans - one extreme to the other.

All the stats indicate that once again we'll get smashed in the clearances - but there's a glimmer of hope as Fremantle ruck Sean Darcy went down with an ankle injury. It remains to be seen if Horse will once again leave Hickey at home and opt for McLean instead. Freo will also be without defender Brandon Walker who suffered a bad knee injury.

Last Thursday the Swans horrid goal kicking almost cost them a game, and we lost the clearances by a fair whack - again. But inside 50 pressure was through the roof and it allowed us to claw our way back into the game and hang on.

The main issue for our game against Freo is we lose 2 defenders just when we were getting some cohesion again down back - Melican to his cursed hammy and Rampe for a bit of stupidity off the ball which will see him on the bench for 2 weeks.IS A FREE MAN HALLELUGA It remains to be seen of Jake Lloyd will also be fit to play after his concussion the other week. So half our backline could be out - again:cryv1:

Francis & Gould are in line for getting the nod. Caleb Serong will be returning from his suspension.

Both teams are impacting by injury - but by rights Swans should win this one.

GO BLOODS!

Last edited:

Dejavu both teams in the same position earlier in the season where its must win to keep finals hopes alive

Just run Freo off their feet and we win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs: Melican (inj), Rampe (probably and for mystifying reasons), Franklin (injured knee,rested from ridiculous concrete Oval), Clarke (sub)

Ins: Lloyd ( if recovered), Francis, Arnold or MacAndrew

Optus has a terrible surface and is in part responsible for the injury tolls at Freo and the Chooks. Vision after the Tigs game showed Franklins left knee already looking quite swollen as he left the ground. I expect after his grinding effort against Footscray, the knee won’t have improved. I see no reason to risk finishing his career on the concrete Perf surface.

For similar reasons I would not be taking Ruck Jesus. The bloke is cooked and will not be able to keep up with Jackson around that ground.

Most likely Freo will miss Darcy, leaving Jackson as their lead ruck. We have a choice of keeping HMac as pinch hitter at ruck contests and tagging Jackson around the ground or addressing our inability to win clearances. Ladhams looked way off it in the twos and needs another run at the very least. He and Hickey were flogged by the mediocre Sweet in the ruck and around the ground.

It won’t happen but I would play Big Mac for his ability to win ruck contests and palm to advantage. His contested marking has also improved and imo is better than Hickey nowadays or Ladhams. I was appalled he was not given more time on Friday. I’d have him sharing with HMac 60/40 and spending a bit of bench time. BUT as like as not RJ will play and hobble about after Jackson.

I assume McDonald just had a shocker on Thursday and is not affected by injury and will play. A forward line including him and Amartey with HMac there for short term stints is plenty tall enough on that fast deck. With neither of our mediums able to hit the side of a barn from set shots we will be looking to the Papley and Wicks combo to provide scoring threat.

With one certain more likely two probable losses to our backline we need to look for replacements. If fully recovered Lloyd walks back in and Francis is the other cert. Freo have some seriously talented young tall forwards and I’d be tempted to debut Arnold who can lock down as well as intercept mark.

Unless we improve ruck service at clearances, I cannot see how our vaunted mids will do much better. We simply lack the system and inside acumen to win possession. Imo Mills through combination of injury and being used in defensive roles is not effective as a mid at the moment. Parker is same as ever with his strengths and weaknesses. Rowy’s primary role is still to tackle. Others run through there with some odd success. We are bloody lucky Errol is both a star and a workhorse and that JMac has returned to form

Clarke was completely ineffective is his half game as sub and should not be used there again. I’d add he was poor in the half game he played in the 2s. I’d have Matt Roberts as sub. Thought he showed in the 2s he was fit and in form.

Grand Uncle Horace is right about the Optus surface - if ever we were truly going to “rest” Buddy, this is the week.

Freo supporters have gone from “Flagmantle” to “Mentally Flagged” in the space of a month. The Dockers are dire & have the most overrated midfield in the comp.

They will get Serong and Young back - but Swans by 40, Buller to kick 4 in game 2 & the Lid to come off.

Last edited:
Francis for Melican

Lloyd for Corey seems straight forward.

I'd like to see Stephens for Hayward but at a minimum he'll be the sub you would think.

Oofhad forgotten about Corey. Yep he is a straight out.

If we do rest Bud and worst case Rampe gets done based on "the vibe" of the footage, then...

Out: Rampe, Melican, Bud
In: Arnold/Francis, Lloyd, Buller

Corey out for Chad if he gets up, but otherwise I'm not sure there's anyone else from reserves that would be brought in. I'd like to see Stephens again, but won't hold my breath.

TMac on Amiss
Fox on Treacy
Arnold as interceptor, or if they bring someone in for Darcy. Probably Francis anyway.

Buller gives us 3 who can go in the ruck against Jackson.

Corey had a 3 disposal game (from >70% ToG).

Hard to see him retain a place on that output.

I suspect Clamps comes back, to do a number on Jordan Clark …. it’s worked before.

In further news - got tickets. But not convinced it’ll be anything other than drudgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back