Preview The official book version of the Swans vs Pies Round 1 (really round 2) Saturday 16th March 8:40am MCG Preview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this narrative that we etched out this really dour win against Melbourne.

The general play was pretty ugly to watch but against arguably the best defence in the comp in what was basically a wet weather game we kicked a score of 86 - the exact same score Carlton managed with the last two Coleman Medallists in their side. We also had 6 more scoring shots than Carlton and that is not counting quite a few shots that didn't make the distance/went out on the full. We kicked 12.14 with a large number of those behinds being basic snaps that on any given day we could easily nail.

Seemed to function to me.

I don't get this narrative that we etched out this really dour win against Melbourne.

The general play was pretty ugly to watch but against arguably the best defence in the comp in what was basically a wet weather game we kicked a score of 86 - the exact same score Carlton managed with the last two Coleman Medallists in their side. We also had 6 more scoring shots than Carlton and that is not counting quite a few shots that didn't make the distance/went out on the full. We kicked 12.14 with a large number of those behinds being basic snaps that on any given day we could easily nail.

Agree with you. Round one (zero, opening round, whatever) was bound to be a scrappy round in general and I remember a lot of negativity going in to the week once we’d lost Parker and then Adams.

Not only did we beat Melbourne at their strengths but we should have won by more. That doesn’t mean I’m bursting with confidence against Collingwood, I’m not, but this team and especially the midfield lead by Grundy can definitely stand up and nullify more than enough of Collingwood’s threats for us to win.

I’m leaning towards a Collingwood win by 10-14 points but if we come out of the blocks with the right mindset and ferocity then I could also see us running away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only have a 6 day break. We have an 8 day break.

They have a couple of players carrying injuries. Our players seem relatively injury free.

They're going to be the same old Collingwood from last year. We've got a lot of new players so our game is less predictable.

And I don't care what anyone says, they're overrated as * from their extremely lucky season and were gifted a premiership.

Only thing they got going for them is they're playing on the MCG.

In saying all that, Collingwood by 30. :sweatsmile:

I am optimistic. At the moment I see us winning by 25.

Once I would have said “take out that dog, Maynard”, but I actually like dogs.

That said I would not be averse to a few Swans satirising him. Three or four could surround him and pogo with arms outstretched but not touching him.

Of course if Maynard gets up to his standard nonsense, I expect McLean will remind him of his mortality.

Petracca said the conditions were worse than a wet weather game. I watched it back on TV & I can understand the frustration from some about the skill errors because the wet conditions weren't showing on tv

Petracca said the conditions were worse than a wet weather game. I watched it back on TV & I can understand the frustration from some about the skill errors because the wet conditions weren't showing on tv
You only had to look at the umps at ball ups , they would be wiping the ball down so they could get a grip, some goose said to me the swans watered the ground and it was from one of us

You only had to look at the umps at ball ups , they would be wiping the ball down so they could get a grip, some goose said to me the swans watered the ground and it was from one of us
The players were also that soaked they looked like they'd been for a surf at Big Sur every time the camera showed them close up.

Very telling last week was there was no Collingwood comeback, a hallmark of their 2023 season. And no, junk time goals don’t count.

Do they have the hunger to go back to back - that is the question.

Very telling last week was there was no Collingwood comeback, a hallmark of their 2023 season. And no, junk time goals don’t count.

Do they have the hunger to go back to back - that is the question.
They've played 1 game gee wizz they had the stats and kicked 4 9 at one stage , missed Howe to cut off a Hogan or Brown .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will there be melts at 6.25?
Hard week for there to be melts over this week's really.

I feel like the only likely out is Amartey and I can't imagine anyone being that upset by that (and that is coming from a fan of the three talls who would personally back them in this week.)

I feel like the only likely out is Amartey and I can't imagine anyone being that upset by that (and that is coming from a fan of the three talls who would personally back them in this week.)
They are not big down back , so 2 talls and mediums

I know others will be against it, but I hope we target Nick Daicos again. I thoroughly enjoyed it last time.

Also hope Gulden plays the game of his life.

I read their board and apparently a couple of them are worried about being too short down back. So maybe it's best we play three talls.

we'll pull their pants down. nothing to lose. all the pressure on them in their unfurling of the flag in front of 5k cuz it's at 6:25pm.

I'm ok with either:

Out: Amartey
In: Wicks
Sub: Amar...just kidding. IDK, Corey, Mitchell?

Out: Jordon
In: Wicks
Sub: Jordon

It would also not shock me if we dropped Amartey, but put Reid in as sub. Disclaimer: I would never do this.

A bit worried about this game. imo collingwood were a bit flat last week, possibly thinking ahead to their flag unveiling night. On the other hand we had a massive build up to hosting opening round & 150th celebrations.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out all guns blazing while we're comparatively slower. Imo we need to withstand the 1st quarter energy from the pies. Grundy will be immense in order to get 1st touch. Watch out for Mason Cox to have the game of his life.

I would play Amartey because he can shift momentum quickly, kick 2-3 goals in a quarter. Sub him out at 3/4 time like last week. Nervous about this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back