Game Day 2024 Round 01 Collingwood v Sydney @ MCG @ 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood 7th v Sydney 3rd

Public gates: 6:00pm (changed to 5:30 PM)
First bounce: 7:40pm​

AFL Team Selections

Match Centre:
Umpires:
2024 round 01 umpires.jpg
Umpire Appointments 2024

Team Stats:

2024 round 01 stats.jpg

Compare the Pair:
We last played Collingwood at the MCG otherwise the teams have only played the one game @ MCG since 2019​
Who was the Swans player who had to ask how to get out on the MCG?​
Thanks hairy biker
"Ben Ronke, or at least he was the only one who owned up to it.
It was also the game when he kicked the 7 against Hawthorn."
"I was a little bit concerned before the game," Sydney coach John Longmire told the media post-game. "I walked out of the coach's room and he was about to walk in and so I asked him where he was going and he said 'I don't know how to get to the ground.'"
"It slipped my mind that he hadn't been here so I'm glad he found his way once he got out there."
He certainly did. In fact, Ronke's seven goals was the greatest individual haul in an MCG debut since Scott Cummins in 1994.
DateVenueHome v Away TeamsResultHigh DisposalsHigh Goals
Round 8, 7 May 2023MCGCollingwood defeats Sydney77-48E. Gulden 37B. Mihocek 5
Preliminary Finals, 17 Sep 2022SCGSydney defeats Collingwood95-94S. Pendlebury 29
J. Crisp 29
T. Papley 3
Round 22, 14 Aug 2022SCGSydney defeats Collingwood77-50C. Mills 29L. Franklin 3
Round 9, 15 May 2021SCGSydney defeats Collingwood72-42B. Maynard 29I. Heeney 3
Round 10, 6 Aug 2020GabbaCollingwood defeats Sydney50-41T. Adams 29J. Thurlow 2
Round 10, 24 May 2019SCGSydney defeated by Collingwood73-80A. Treloar 38S. Reid 6
Round 20, 4 Aug 2018SCGSydney defeats Collingwood73-71T. Adams 32L. Franklin 6
Round 3, 7 Apr 2017SCGSydney defeated by Collingwood79-80J. Lloyd 34A. Fasolo 4
Round 1, 26 Mar 2016Accor StadiumSydney defeats Collingwood133-53L. Parker 40L. Franklin 4
Round 20, 14 Aug 2015SCGSydney defeats Collingwood87-76T. Mitchell 41-
Sydney spoil Collingwood's flag unfurling in 1959
The Swans had finished ninth the previous system and went into the match against Collingwood with no less than five first-game players – Cliff Deacon (Kyneton), Paul Briglia (Xavier College), Ray Landorff (Port Melbourne), Bill McGrath (Minyip) and Norm McKenzie (Daylesford).
The Sporting Globe front page headline that night read: “MIGHTY MAGPIES CANED.” The match report on page seven read: “SOUTH STUN PREMIERS.”
The front page report noted: “Clegg dominated the centre for South, and rovers Skilton and McGowan capitalised on the good work of recruit ruckman Deacon.”
It had been yet another disappointing season, except that Skilton won the first of his three Brownlow Medals, triumphing again in 1963 and 1968.

Hands up those who were at the match in 1959 and their father bought the Sporting Globe?
Me! :hand: :p

The unfurling of the flag will be at 6:24 pm - will anyone be there?

Happy 50th game Braeden.

Mighty Bloods to win by 23 points

#AFLPiesSwans #ProudlySydney #GoBloods #GoSwans #Bloods #SYD150
rYw7vNoj1beMvRRFeHnfbEvTBQ2ntpdNajsch14SNjrnuuteaWCv62NbYqmyq3VHPW2fa2dTtTPFjwbhISt8hIMAMccHT2BVazUes9sTMKzBbUI2HQHXW7PWD4zC634XQaJ-VQey=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
Gianfagna.

The AFL’s way of saying “this is Collingwood’s day, not yours”.

PS: great little opener there SwansProudly. Love a bit of Swans history.

If I had to hazard a guess at the Swan who couldn’t find his way out of the MCG, I’d probably go with Mike Pyke.

Last edited:

Who was the Swans player who had to ask how to get out on the MCG?
Sydney spoil Collingwood's flag unfurling in 1959

Hands up those who were at the match in 1959 and their father bought the Sporting Globe?
Me!

Ben Ronke, or at least he was the only one who owned up to it.
It was also the game when he kicked the 7 against Hawthorn.

Sadly all our players have previously graced the MCG so no linkage, unless Brodie spent so much time at the Casey Demons he's forgotten his way onto the MCG. :think:

Great intro again, thanks SwansProudly, hopefully 1959 is an omen and fancy you being taken to the footy as a 1yo and still remembering it. :moustache::cool:

Last edited:
Amartey needs to do something, less than 5 disposals isnt going to cut it

Have to take advantage of an underdone Howe

Dont tag Nick, we shouldnt play that defensively with Grundy in the ruck

Collingwood will be about and about with their flag unfurling so we need to be switched on early

Honest tip is Collingwood by 27

IF we really are that concerned about Daicos, you know what match-up I'd love to see, and what I think would lead to a clear and decisive match-up win to us? Errol Gulden on Nick Daicos.

As players they're identical in a lot of ways - both elite runners, both elite ball users, both elite thinkers of the game. But Gulden's far more comfortable doing the hard stuff and putting in the work defensively. He could absolutely work Daicos over without it having much effect on his own natural game of running around constantly presenting as an option.

The knock-on effect being they'd be reluctant to get the ball in Daicos' direction as that would mean the ball in Gulden's direction. So you're not just messing with Daicos but also potentially their game plan at large.

Would also mean we don't have to use any of our contested core (which has basically been reduced to Heeney & Rowbottom at this stage) so they can focus on punishing the Pies' relative weakness in this regard. Nor would we have to use someone like Fox, meaning he could go to someone like a Maynard or Quaynor to nullify their intercepting.

Doubt it will happen but I think it'd be a ballsy move and it would pay off.

Gianfagna.

The AFL’s way of saying “this is Collingwood’s day, not yours”.

PS: great little opener there SwansProudly. Love a bit of Swans history.

If I had to hazard a guess at the Swan who couldn’t find his way out of the MCG, I’d probably go with Mike Pyke.
I was reminded by South beating Collingwood in 1959 by a post on Swans twitter account.
Thanks @notlatenow for your twitter comment.

2024 round 01 1959 coll sth.jpg

Great intro SwansProudly

I too like the idea of Gulden and Daicos playing on each other. This is for both tactical reasons and because I miss the days of match ups you would look forward to.

Heaps of story lines in this this game.

Bloods by 15.

Shake down the thunder.

I rarely tip against the Swans but I am tipping the pies between 10-14 points. It’s just hard to see them going down 0-2 in front of 90000 at their unfurling.

We absolutely have to start well and maybe even be up by 2-3 goals at quarter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely tip against the Swans but I am tipping the pies between 10-14 points. It’s just hard to see them going down 0-2 in front of 90000 at their unfurling.

We absolutely have to start well and maybe even be up by 2-3 goals at quarter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take anything that doesn't involve us getting blown away, best case we flog them but at the very least a close enough game for me to feel invested in it. From there whatever will be will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@Jimbo OZ
Does anyone have stats on how much time Lloyd played on the wing compared to defence? I found it strange that we selected 8 players who would normally play defence (McCartin, Melican, Blakey, Rampe, Florent, Cunningham, Roberts, Lloyd) for the game against Melbourne

Don't reckon this was on purpose. Roberts started the game more on the wing then he drifted back and Horse was like "oh okay, that works better", so left him there. Will be interesting to see where he lines them all up tonight. Florent might spend a bit more time on the wing/middle. Errol in the guts. Toe to toe with Naicos.

Don't reckon this was on purpose. Roberts started the game more on the wing then he drifted back and Horse was like "oh okay, that works better", so left him there. Will be interesting to see where he lines them all up tonight. Florent might spend a bit more time on the wing/middle. Errol in the guts. Toe to toe with Naicos.
I've said it before and i'll say it again.
They rate roberts in the back 6. He's been hyped up during the pre-season. Has been training down back.
He's 100% in a position to take over Lloyds spot. IMO want a more dynamic rebounding defence.
When Mills comes back. That will be even more competition.

For those that can, try get down to Union House from about 5:30/6pm. Will be full of red and white and is always a really good time pre-game.

This is a big game for us, if we are a contender we need to win these type of games . They have the flag if they go 0-2 yeah will be the odd grumble, but they will be confident they bounce back, we know they are good.

This is a huge chance for Sydney to make a statement against the top side and at the MCG, which we haven't done in either case recently .

Losing here of course isn't the end of the world , but it just puts you in the pack a bit early . We have a chance to really jump up and get on a roll, that's what we did in 2012

Collingwood fans whinging the flag is being done at 6:16

What's the issue not like you have to come from work
If the players have to be on field for the unfurling at 6.15 then I rekn we've got it in the bag. I rekn prepping too early burns too much nervous energy. I'll never forget that day our players turned up late in the same fixture because they had to take the tram in, we played like men possessed.

I'm predicting Brodie Grundy to get 32 hitouts, 8 clearances and 91 federal indictments tonight

IMG_2958.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back