Preview 2024 Round 01 Thursday March 7 v Melbourne 7:20 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like a 23 that will be versatile. A lot of wingman/flanker/utility types who could be moved around if need be.

Ironically I think the mass outs in the midfield probably actually hurt Sheldrick here. If one or two are out, we probably turn our next mid in and it's a straight like-for-like swap. But losing two/three (if you include Mills) means we're turning to other options (Heeney, Jordon likely) which means we need flexible options to work accommodate these moves. Sheldrick doesn't have that flexibility.

I personally would've included him as I'm just nervous about copping a contested smacking, but I don't think Sheldrick would make a monumental difference in that regard anyway, and it makes sense why he's not in the team.

Suspect Roberts in defence or Fox up forward is the sub, depending on what Melbourne do.

A year and a half prep and not ready?
Longmire Said he was not far away as they were taking it slowly with him. You have to remember how old he is now, 32. When an older player is coming back from a serious injury like this after rehab He can develop soft tissue injuries. Things like hamstring strains. So, it is better to take it a bit slower. He is one of two players who played in 2012. Parker the other one.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope Roberts gets to really start showing something this year. A bit vanilla IMO but I hope the added versatility by being in the backline in pre season can unlock more of his potential

Looks to me like a 23 that will be versatile. A lot of wingman/flanker/utility types who could be moved around if need be.

Ironically I think the mass outs in the midfield probably actually hurt Sheldrick here. If one or two are out, we probably turn our next mid in and it's a straight like-for-like swap. But losing two/three (if you include Mills) means we're turning to other options (Heeney, Jordon likely) which means we need flexible options to work accommodate these moves. Sheldrick doesn't have that flexibility.

I personally would've included him as I'm just nervous about copping a contested smacking, but I don't think Sheldrick would make a monumental difference in that regard anyway, and it makes sense why he's not in the team.

Suspect Roberts in defence or Fox up forward is the sub, depending on what Melbourne do.
Could just be Horse protecting Gus. He doesn't have the maturity yet and like you said would likely not change the result of the game. Better to have him playing under the wing of Parker/mills/Adams when we can afford to be less flexible.

I dont question his talent and effort, but currently he'd get run ragged by the Dee's mids.

Could just be Horse protecting Gus. He doesn't have the maturity yet and like you said would likely not change the result of the game. Better to have him playing under the wing of Parker/mills/Adams when we can afford to be less flexible.

I dont question his talent and effort, but currently he'd get run ragged by the Dee's mids.
Might also just need some game time. More likely to get more in reserves/training day than an AFL game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've liked to see Gussy in there but I'm not too surprised. Even with our outs we have 5/6 genuine options who can run through the middle. The lack of versatility/TOG compared to the others and also coming back from injury are probably some of the main reasons he's not in.

It just shows how important this Jordon pickup could be, really keen to see how he'll go tomorrow.

Gus wasn't crash hot against Brisbane, but I'm still surprised he wasn't selected. Thought he was first cab off the rank in the middle if we had injuries and considering Mills, Parker, and Adams are all out and him being a ball winner, I thought it would be only natural to pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back