Lenny Hayes Headbutt

Remove this Banner Ad

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
This will come across as a whine and it probably is in a way, but did anyone else notice Lenny Hayes charging with his head into stationary/ slow-moving Geelong players on 3 occasions?? He was wholly responsible for the contact, yet successfully drew a free-kick on two of these occasions (almost injuring Ablett's knee on one) and on the other, he managed to put James Kelly on the bench via the blood rule for the all important last few minutes.

Obviously, the head is sacrosanct, but surely the umpires can see that it was he who instigated the contact, with his forceful leading of the head and the momentum he carried into the contest.

I guess, this sort of tactic can be thrown into the same basket as the Selwood knee dropping, shoulder-rolling that induces high contact. However, surely, if the average football observer can see this, the umpires should be awake to tactics such as these that exploit rules designed for the protection of players.

Now, I know, that we should be rewarding ball players and I'd rather see players willing to sacrifice their bodies, at the risk of injury, rewarded over stagers like Steve Johnson (embarassing again tonight), Milne, etc. However, at what point does the art of self-preservation and awareness come into play?? It seems we now reward players who are stupid enough to put their scones in the firing line, becuase they know in todays era, they are likely to cop nothing more than a brush or a glancing blow. Honestly, these same players lauded as brave, would have been killed or at the very least, seriously concussed 15-20 years, if they adopted the same tactics that they do now.

Tonight was yet another reminder of how soft the game is becoming.

come on mate went in hard for the ball
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Did you see the 40 times Johnson and co did it?

Johnson staged for a ridiculous number of frees I agree. However, I refer specifically to the tactic of Hayes taking possession of the ball, then charging low with his head leading into opposition players. Obviously, I am the only one who noticed him doing this.

Also, note this is not a question on Lenny's courage or hardness at all, who along with Selwood, I would rate at the top of the league.

Johnson staged for a ridiculous number of frees I agree. However, I refer specifically to the tactic of Hayes taking possession of the ball, then charging low with his head leading into opposition players. Obviously, I am the only one who noticed him doing this.

He may have done, but Johnson did exactly the same thing on many occasions. In fact the commentators talked him up for his bravery and "smarts". Just thought Geelong did a little more of it tonight, just my view though

I liked the effort of Selwood, when (after allready getting a very soft high free from ducking), he was "tackled" and dropped to the ground.

Problem was, the Saints player had allready let go, and had his arms raised - so nothing was near Selwood when he dropped.

With Bartel, Chapman, Selwood, Ablett, Johnson, Stokes, Byrnes antics it's amazing anyone has time to go for the ball.

Thought it was actually pretty well umpired - just let down by a few soft ones. The Mooney in-the-back was hardly one of the worst decisions - that's paid more often than pretty much everything else.

Surey the OP is trolling. The irony is just too delicous. I will just cut and paste every defence of Selwood you guys regurgitate every thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may have done, but Johnson did exactly the same thing on many occasions. In fact the commentators talked him up for his bravery and "smarts". Just thought Geelong did a little more of it tonight, just my view though

I dont doubt that we staged for more free-kicks, its fast becoming an epidemic within our side.

However, the three occasions to which I refer, Lenny charged with his head, into a Geelong player, who couldn't do anything to avoid contact. I dont remember any such incident with Johnson. Its unlikely Johnson would attack such a contest with the same degree of ferocity as Lenny.

Surey the OP is trolling. The irony is just too delicous. I will just cut and paste every defence of Selwood you guys regurgitate every thread.

Make sure you find one under my username.

Obviously, I've hit a nerve here though. The next time I'll simply refer to the player as player x to generate some reasonable discussion about:

a) The growing exploitation of rules designed to protect player's heads
b) The inability of paid professional umpires to recoginze this trend

Honestly, I dare say 1 in 2-3 free kicks is paid for high contact nowadays.

Hayes doesn't appeal for the free kick, nor does he complain when he doesn't receive one.

He simply shuts the **** up, goes in hard with his head over the ball, and tries to win it. More often than not, he succeeds. If things don't go his way, he gets on with it instead of having a sook.

Clearest difference between him and Selwood who has a massive way to go before reaching the level of Hayes.

Clean your own front porch before commenting on the neighbours. Selwood and JOhnson epitomise that aspect of the game.

Touche. Obviously I endorse such tactics, along with the use of cocaine, because representatives of my chosen football team partake in them.

This will come across as a whine and it probably is in a way, but did anyone else notice Lenny Hayes charging with his head into stationary/ slow-moving Geelong players on 3 occasions?? He was wholly responsible for the contact, yet successfully drew a free-kick on two of these occasions (almost injuring Ablett's knee on one) and on the other, he managed to put James Kelly on the bench via the blood rule for the all important last few minutes.

Obviously, the head is sacrosanct, but surely the umpires can see that it was he who instigated the contact, with his forceful leading of the head and the momentum he carried into the contest.

I guess, this sort of tactic can be thrown into the same basket as the Selwood knee dropping, shoulder-rolling that induces high contact. However, surely, if the average football observer can see this, the umpires should be awake to tactics such as these that exploit rules designed for the protection of players.

Now, I know, that we should be rewarding ball players and I'd rather see players willing to sacrifice their bodies, at the risk of injury, rewarded over stagers like Steve Johnson (embarassing again tonight), Milne, etc. However, at what point does the art of self-preservation and awareness come into play?? It seems we now reward players who are stupid enough to put their scones in the firing line, becuase they know in todays era, they are likely to cop nothing more than a brush or a glancing blow. Honestly, these same players lauded as brave, would have been killed or at the very least, seriously concussed 15-20 years, if they adopted the same tactics that they do now.

Tonight was yet another reminder of how soft the game is becoming.

stevie J ring a bell????

Make sure you find one under my username.

Obviously, I've hit a nerve here though. The next time I'll simply refer to the player as player x to generate some reasonable discussion about:

a) The growing exploitation of rules designed to protect player's heads
b) The inability of paid professional umpires to recoginze this trend

Honestly, I dare say 1 in 2-3 free kicks is paid for high contact nowadays.

You've hit a nerve because Lenny Hayes is hard at the ball. He went for the ball in the middle of 3 Geelong players because he wants it that bad. He himself got cut if you don't remember. Tough as nails.

He is NOT trying to exploit the rules, it is how he plays. Other players may try to exploit them but Lenny does not. He doesn't complain when he doesn't get a free kick or doesn't look to the umpires to get one either.

I suggest you get a clue before posting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back