SJ Top 3 at the GFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ablett Jnr is the only one on that list who has more pure ability and skill than SJ.

Chapman, Egan, Harley, Milburn, Mooney, Rooke, Scarlo are all good players, have a better work ethic, but do not have more skill than SJ.

The others (Ling, Corey) again are good players, but SJ has twice the skill AND ability as them. He doesn't use it, but he is easily in the top 3 at the club for ability behind Gary Ablett.

Personally I think there are many players who I would rate above Steve, to name a few...
Gazza
Jimmy
Chappy
Corey
Enright
Egan
Harley
Lingadingding
Milburn
Mooney
Otto
Scarlo
Woja
Rooke
You are missing the point of your own thread. This is not about 'best' player, this is about most natural talent, and has nothing to do with how consistently they use what the have. For example... Rooke: Gun. Love him. He is the most hard at it at the club... however, this is not natural footballing talent as such, more the way he goes about it. Work rate and talent are pole apart.

As far as hard at it I would put Chappy up there above Steve and Darren Milburn , those two for sure and Ablett need I say.

Personally I think there are many players who I would rate above Steve, to name a few...
Gazza
Jimmy
Chappy
Corey
Enright
Egan
Harley
Lingadingding
Milburn
Mooney
Otto
Scarlo
Woja
Rooke

Enright above Stevie in terms of natural ability? You having a larf?:eek:

Ability and Natural Ability is the same thing Jess.

SJ has more ability than Enright. He also has more 'natural ability' than Enright. Nothing different about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well actually... it was a bit confused as Cats2rise said to said at the start about 'ability' and later said 'natural ability'.

Would you rate SJ in your top 3 best players at the club?

Best 3 players, no way. I would put SJ second to only Ablett Jnr in raw talent though.

My breakdown:
Talents
Ablett, Steve Johnson, Kelly

Hardworkers
Bartel, Corey, Rooke

The question is, what is more important talent or hard work? Obviously the elite players have both(Ablett,Judd,Kerr etc) but while I would say Kelly has more raw talent than both Corey and Bartel, he is far off their mark as a player. Overall there is no way SJ would be in our top 3 players though... Pretty hard to go past 1.Ablett 2.Bartel 3.Chapman.

Well, well, well. I seem to recall a thread where somebody had a wager going for some $ that Steve Johnson would not make top 15 of the B&F. Still a while to go, but it's looking like someone is going to be owing me some $.

Well, well, well. I seem to recall a thread where somebody had a wager going for some $ that Steve Johnson would not make top 15 of the B&F. Still a while to go, but it's looking like someone is going to be owing me some $.

You had a wager aswell? I had one with Jess that SJ would make top 10 in our B&F. Give him another 3 games and I reckon he will be right in there.

We need to find that thread. Shell and Jess might need to smash open their piggy banks. :D

She didn't want to put a wager on that I would win the debate regarding 'SJ being in the top 3 for natural talent.'

Its a pity, I would not have minded doubling my money :thumbsu:

Steven Johnson is important to us - not because he is a very consistent hard-working player - but because he is a freak: a natural talent who can do things that few could imagine. He is a game-breaker, like Gazza. Its important to have that sort of a gamebreaker-type of player, especially come September as they could be the ones to break open the close contested matches that finals usually are.

On form atm, I would say Johnson is in our top 3 but I would not say he was in our top 3 best players at the club.

In terms of natural ability he is behind ablett and spencer :)p) , so yes he is in the top 3.

Not in the top 3 footballers at the club though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back