Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

I would have liked you to have written Champ 119 times - would have been great for effect.

But yes the number was too big!
I'll do that when Port finish 19th in 2028.

CAN WE ALL MOVE ON FROM THE "CHAMP" TALK

please
Sorry I had one last go just as you posted. I will move on - and actually more focussed on trying to work out what the Cats are going to do now. You always have a good perspective. What do you think this trade period meant? If anything? And where to short term from here?

Is it just a simple message that we have confidence in the youth we have bought in and will back in massive improvement from them - whilst still hoping to squeeze one last dance (sorry!) from the too old brigade?

Sorry I had one last go just as you posted. I will move on - and actually more focussed on trying to work out what the Cats are going to do now. You always have a good perspective. What do you think this trade period meant? If anything? And where to short term from here?

Is it just a simple message that we have confidence in the youth we have bought in and will back in massive improvement from them - whilst still hoping to squeeze one last dance (sorry!) from the too old brigade?
3 words.

Enter Jhye Clark.

I am interested now in people views on Rucks. Focus on 2024 as I am as bullish as anyone on Conway - I think he will be Grundy+

But equally I am very sober about him needing to build his body. I understand (not confirmed) that he might have had another “little” set back and even if that isn’t true he has played very few VFL/AFL games in two years. I am hoping this is not a long term thing and just a baby giraffe growing thing…. But in 2024 we can surely NOT count on his as a regular number 1.

So as it is we are banking on Stanley holding up for a full year (not out of the question) with Toby as a back up (might be number 1 choice by end of year if we holds up) and Blitz to fill the 2nd ruck position. From there we are in Rohan/Scratcher/SDK territory very quickly?

Now we were in that position this year due to Ceglar not being a real back up option - but at least we started the year with the theory of Cegs as back up…I just can’t see us not trying to have someone like him. Frankly the VFL needs it too!!

Our options now seems to be pre season draft? Or SPP? Unless we can pick up a rookie if they are delisted or something? Is that right? Or maybe we can use one of those late draft picks on someone like Ladhams if he puts himself into draft?

Someone better than me would know how we get a ruck in? Surely we need one for 2024?

I am interested now in people views on Rucks. Focus on 2024 as I am as bullish as anyone on Conway - I think he will be Grundy+

But equally I am very sober about him needing to build his body. I understand (not confirmed) that he might have had another “little” set back and even if that isn’t true he has played very few VFL/AFL games in two years. I am hoping this is not a long term thing and just a baby giraffe growing thing…. But in 2024 we can surely NOT count on his as a regular number 1.

So as it is we are banking on Stanley holding up for a full year (not out of the question) with Toby as a back up (might be number 1 choice by end of year if we holds up) and Blitz to fill the 2nd ruck position. From there we are in Rohan/Scratcher/SDK territory very quickly?

Now we were in that position this year due to Ceglar not being a real back up option - but at least we started the year with the theory of Cegs as back up…I just can’t see us not trying to have someone like him. Frankly the VFL needs it too!!

Our options now seems to be pre season draft? Or SPP? Unless we can pick up a rookie if they are delisted or something? Is that right? Or maybe we can use one of those late draft picks on someone like Ladhams if he puts himself into draft?

Someone better than me would know how we get a ruck in? Surely we need one for 2024?
We would be absolutely dumb not to bring in a ruck of any kind, when we lost Stanley for durations this year it hurt us, and he is getting older.

As for Conway, he has talent but he is still years off having the week in/week out ruck body. We need someone who can play if Stanley/Conway can only handle 10-15 games each.

Obviously not another Ceglar, who was "ok" in one game.

We look like absolute mugs over the Esava deal. The team better redeem themselves on draft night...

Will be interesting to see where list management go from here.

Stanley and Blicavs are obviously our proven duo, with Toby Conway the great white hope (and I am as bullish as most on him too).

After that we have Shannon Neale, who the club is most likely hoping to develop as a KF but is tall enough to ruck if required (also, recall the Brad Ottens trade many moons ago - came to a club desperate for a KF, ended up a 3x Premiership ruckman; things can change).

After that we have Joe Furphy, who is unproven - but tall.

That's 5 tall dudes to fill the brief, if required.

We're probably one tall short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd run with what we have in regards to ruckman if we have no injuries in the pre season and if we happen to lose one in the first half of the season we can always pick one in the mid season draft.

Heard DeMattia interviewed and he was very impressive. Well advanced leadership qualities. Articulate. Just wonder as with Hall whether they have the scope to be quality AFL players?

Agree. Look with demattia hes been focusing a lot on cricket until this year so theres a lot of growth in him. What i like about him and hall is they both seem to show leadership a lot which is a trait geelong likes. I love stevens for leadership too i just have a slight concern on his athletic ability. In a shallow draft id be focusing on these driven guys who will do everything to make it.

Sydney are my early tip for the flag.

I thought the opposite.

When have we said we're targeting Sanders?

I'm similar but Stevens will be gone before then. As long as we get Hastie or Lual I'm happy.

How Come you're avoiding my question?
They have the quality, I just don't trust them on the biggest stage.

3 ordinary GF performances in a row, with a number of finals performances where they s**t the bed inbetween.

Said it before, but if a Victorian/SA/WA side had their record, we'd never hear the end of it.

Similar story with Brisbane & Port, so it's looking like another weird year. Pies deserve favouritism, but won't win it IMO.

Very difficult to go back-to-back after winning three 50/50 finals, every chance those games go the other way next year. As we know, it only takes a 5% dropoff, and they're not talented enough to get away with coasting.

Dees can't win it without a key forward, Petty or Van Rooyen need breakout years if they are any chance. Blues still need to prove it over a season.

Sticking to the recent theme, in the words of Kane Cornes: Nobody deserves to win it.

With that being said, somebody will come out of nowhere. Early tip is the Crows will surprise IMO.

I'd run with what we have in regards to ruckman if we have no injuries in the pre season and if we happen to lose one in the first half of the season we can always pick one in the mid season draft.

We said that this year though and it didnt work.

We would be absolutely dumb not to bring in a ruck of any kind, when we lost Stanley for durations this year it hurt us, and he is getting older.

As for Conway, he has talent but he is still years off having the week in/week out ruck body. We need someone who can play if Stanley/Conway can only handle 10-15 games each.

Obviously not another Ceglar, who was "ok" in one game.

We look like absolute mugs over the Esava deal. The team better redeem themselves on draft night...
I'd take Hayes as backup. In a perfect world whoever we pick up won't get a game anyway, as Stanley & Conway are hopefully healthy and killing it.

Just need some someone durable, and Hayes appears to do that better than Lycett.

Also has some scope for improvement, albeit minimal. Still youngish.

Lycett might be possible as a delisted FA if he doesnt retire. Hayes will leave Port and could be an FA pickup. Ladhams is contracted so it wont be him.

Sydney are my early tip for the flag.

I thought the opposite.

When have we said we're targeting Sanders?

I'm similar but Stevens will be gone before then. As long as we get Hastie or Lual I'm happy.

How Come you're avoiding my question?

Which question? Sorry i havent gone back and checked a heap of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back