Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

I appreciate that's your opinion, has the club confirmed that this is the mindset?

If so, cool.

Something tells me that they think 24 is a chance - and if true, Grundy would be a great addition.
They're dreaming.

I'm no expert but I don't understand why we wouldn't be throwing all we could to get Grundy's signature

Ruck has been such a weak point for us for years..
Coz he's a Knob and ain't as good as his $900k they pay him.
Never won a flag with an elite midfield tells me enough.
Where Stanley has... lol

Well we are not serious in progressing then. You need a quality ruckman pure and simple!
We have one. Toby Conway. If there was another available at a decent price and was at the top of their game i bet we'd be all in.
Unfortunately Grundy is neither.
Our progress doesn't remove around paying a average 30yo ruckman $900k per for the next 4 years.
That isn't progress. As Collingwood found out pretty quickly.

I’m not so sure. Geelong was very keen last year and will be making the case again.

He can continue to live in Melbourne and play for Geelong. Something that Port and Sydney can’t offer.
He was very close to coming to us last year. Was impressed with the club. If we are still interested I think there’s a very good chance he ends up with us.

We've already got someone on the list who'll be a hell of a lot better.

While we're in rebuild mode it makes no sense to sign Grundy at the expense of Conway's development.

We're at least 5 years off contending again.
I'd argue we've got the brightest future we've had for a long time.

I felt pretty hopeless at the end of '17,'18 & '19. We were old with minimal talent coming through, and we had no idea who we'd eventually add. It's the whole problem with not being inside the 4 walls and predicting the future.

This time we've still got some old players, but we've got infinitely more talent coming through than we had in those years. There was a time not so long ago that James Parsons was one of our premier young talents.

Shudder

I feel like if we're adding Smith & Parish, we might as well add Grundy too. Just go all in for the next 1-3 years until the kids hit their prime.

Let's just say it takes 3 years for Bruhn, Holmes, Knevitt, Clark & Conway to hit something like their best football.

We add Parish, who will be 29 then, and Smith, who will be 26.

If things go as planned, that's a damn good midfield. One of the better ones in the game, and it'll be sorted for a long time.

We can then turn our attention to the key position stocks, whether they be traded, or through the draft. We've already got an elite prospect in SDK, and a pretty good prospect in Neale (Henry bros are elite too, just a little smaller)

It's not 2004 anymore, the 5 year plan only occurs when you are a minnow club who can't attract anyone, and more importantly can't develop anyone (E.g Norf)

It's not something you should be embarking on voluntarily. You should be forced. We aren't.

He was very close to coming to us last year. Was impressed with the club. If we are still interested I think there’s a very good chance he ends up with us.
Pretty sure. He put a line through us within a week.
Impressed maybe... but didn't even want to see the coast or the golf courses.
That has w***er all over it in my book lol !!

Coz he's a Knob and ain't as good as his $900k they pay him.
Never won a flag with an elite midfield tells me enough.
Where Stanley has... lol

Perhaps you have, but I haven't seen anything from him that leads me to believe he's a knob.

He's always appeared to me that he is an intelligent human being who can play AFL pretty well. Certainly wouldn't be out of place on our list.

I am a big Conway fan, but as was pointed out by another poster, it's a big ask to task a young inexperienced player to carry the ruck which is possible given Stanley's injury history of late.

I'm all for Grundy at the right price, though if Parish is on the table,I'd take him in a heartbeat ( tho he's a w***er in your eyes as well. )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt pretty hopeless at the end of '17,'18 & '19. We were old with minimal talent coming through, and we had no idea who we'd eventually add. It's the whole problem with not being inside the 4 walls and predicting the future.

This time we've still got some old players, but we've got infinitely more talent coming through than we had in those years. There was a time not so long ago that James Parsons was one of our premier young talents.

Shudder

I feel like if we're adding Smith & Parish, we might as well add Grundy too. Just go all in for the next 1-3 years until the kids hit their prime.

Let's just say it takes 3 years for Bruhn, Holmes, Knevitt, Clark & Conway to hit something like their best football.

If things go as planned, that's a damn good midfield. One of the better ones in the game, and it'll be sorted for a long time.

We can then turn our attention to the key position stocks, whether they be traded, or through the draft. We've already got an elite prospect in SDK, and a pretty good prospect in Neale (Henry bros are elite too, just a little smaller)

It's not 2004 anymore, the 5 year plan only occurs when you are a minnow club who can't attract anyone, and more importantly can't develop anyone (E.g Norf)

It's not something you should be embarking on voluntarily. You should be forced. We aren't.
Agree 100%

Except the part with Parish. He won't be at Geelong.

Perhaps you have, but I haven't seen anything from him that leads me to believe he's a knob.

He's always appeared to me that he is an intelligent human being who can play AFL pretty well. Certainly wouldn't be out of place on our list.

I am a big Conway fan, but as was pointed out by another poster, it's a big ask to task a young inexperienced player to carry the ruck which is possible given Stanley's injury history of late.

I'm all for Grundy at the right price, though if Parish is on the table,I'd take him in a heartbeat.
I have 3 daughters around his age and group set. w***er! Add Jake Lever to that one as well.... lol
Grundy wants his money and he'll get it. $900k is about $400k over for what he's delivered which is just average stats without being a game changer.
Too many folk think he's an elite ruckman, not me though. Couldn't even beat up on Stanley.

You probably felt that way at the conclusion of 2021 too.
No, but let's be realistic about next year that way you won't be disappointed.

I have 3 daughters around his age and group set. w***er! Add Jake Lever to that one as well.... lol
Grundy wants his money and he'll get it. $900k is about $400k over for what he's delivered which is just average stats without being a game changer.
Too many folk think he's an elite ruckman, not me though. Couldn't even beat up on Stanley.

Don't think anyone will be paying Grundy 900k..nor will they have to.

Shudder

We're not adding Smith, Parish or Grundy.

Let's just focus on developing Knevitt (as an inside mid) Bruhn, Clark, Conway, etc plus whoever we select with pick 8 and let them build together until we get a couple of decent key forwards to go again in 5 years.

I suspect we will see Parish.
I suspect you'll be wrong. I haven't heard a whimper. And If he does come and we're forced to trade it'll be a big mistake.

The Conway talk on here is bordering on stupid. He is 2-3 years away at best from being a dependable option for us at AFL level. Kids his size take a lot of time to develop, putting the entire ruck division on his shoulders from next year puts us on a pathway to disaster with him.

We would be mad to ignore Grundy at this stage.

The Conway talk on here is bordering on stupid. He is 2-3 years away at best from being a dependable option for us at AFL level. Kids his size take a lot of time to develop, putting the entire ruck division on his shoulders from next year puts us on a pathway to disaster with him.

We would be mad to ignore Grundy at this stage.
It's all about development amigo. He has star written all over him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back