“Bonza” Mate- New Aussie Low Cost Airline

Remove this Banner Ad

5 Jan 2023

'The Civil Aviation Safety Authority told The Australian it was continuing to “work closely” with the airline’s team on its application for an air operators certificate lodged nine months ago.

A CASA spokeswoman said the regulator had received key documents from Bonza before Christmas that should allow the airline to complete the process.

“CASA will be able to make a final decision on the AOC once proving flights have been completed in early January,” she said.

The purpose of the proving flights was to allow CASA inspectors to test the airline’s systems and processes, to demonstrate its readiness for entry into service.'

'The airline is in a race with Virgin Australia to become the first domestic carrier to operate the 737-8 down under. Virgin Australia has eight of the aircraft on order and is preparing to take delivery of the first in February. It has plans to use the jets on domestic and international services.

The 737 Max-8 is attractive to airlines because of superior fuel efficiency and lower carbon emissions than its predecessor, the 737-800.'

Anyone across costs in the business able to comment on this claim in the article:
'Bonza’s 737-8s would seat 189 passengers in a single class and fares are expected to cost $50 for flights of one hour, and $100 for longer services.'

189 on a 737? Jesus. Sardine city.

Just be thankful we've got the CASA approvals process - saw a youtube yesterday of a flight on Air Peace in Nigeria. Pilots anonymously sent pics of unreported (and unfixed) tail strike damage and flying with EICAS warnings/faults, and one plane was grounded at Dubai when eight of the crew didn't have competency certificates - apparently friends and relatives of management fly there as "crew" so they can go shopping without the hassle of applying for a visa.

Just be thankful we've got the CASA approvals process - saw a youtube yesterday of a flight on Air Peace in Nigeria. Pilots anonymously sent pics of unreported (and unfixed) tail strike damage and flying with EICAS warnings/faults, and one plane was grounded at Dubai when eight of the crew didn't have competency certificates - apparently friends and relatives of management fly there as "crew" so they can go shopping without the hassle of applying for a visa.

Sardine city/cheap air fares.

Anyone across costs in the business able to comment on this claim in the article:
'Bonza’s 737-8s would seat 189 passengers in a single class and fares are expected to cost $50 for flights of one hour, and $100 for longer services.'
I’d imagine there would only be a limited number of fares at the cheaper prices. Hard to see a profitable business otherwise. Given the cost of wages (eg pilots & engineers, executive team), aircraft leases, fuel, airport landing fees etc.

Boeing state 210 maximum on 737-8 737 MAX
189 on the non-Max 737-800

Those would be a pretty tight all-economy configuration presumably. For tall fat Australians that maximum would be a squeeze in the Tokyo subway style.

For tall fat Australians that maximum would be a squeeze in the Tokyo subway style.
This is exactly how I like to start and end my holidays, rubbing up against people next to me spilling over their seat and sweating it up

Bonza Goes Big At New Melbourne Airport Base​

'Bonza and Melbourne International Airport are working together to add more choices for passengers coming in or out of Australia's second-largest city.

Spotted among the Airbus and Boeing widebodies at Melbourne Airport yesterday was Bazza, one of the four 737 MAX 8s flying in Australia, all operated by Bonza.

Bonza is all about disrupting the status quo and introducing changes, so long as they make the passenger experience better than what others offer. When it was first announced that bookings would be via the Fly Bonza app and not a website, some proclaimed that idea simply wouldn't fly.
Proving the naysayers wrong again, Jordan revealed yesterday that the app has already been downloaded more than 700,000 times and used to make more than 110,000 bookings. The exposure that Bonza is now getting at Melbourne Airport is sure to boost those numbers.'

IMHO if you dont give Bonza a go, you want others to deliver you cheaper airfares.
It has been the experience of the likes of failed airlines, e.g:

East West/Compass/Virgin Blue/TigerAir/OzJet & Air Australian

with Qantas/Jetstar & Virgin passengers
not prepared to do their bit for cheaper air fares

I just flew as a family and couldn’t help but understand that flying is not designed for families or those with needs such as the aged, disabled or mental health

Not only do airlines need to reform but airports

I’m surprised the human rights commission hasn’t looked into this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$79 one way from Mildura to Sunshine Coast, and later this month it'll be $49 from Melbourne to Mildura. A pineapple vs six and a half hours in the car.

Just looking at the website;

it's app-only. You can't just load the website on a desktop computer and book a flight. Call me a techno-luddite but I like the websites where you can just book in without downloading apps.

app-only booking is consistent with their brand - all about cost savings

booked flights with them the other week, they have gone the RyanAir route where you pay for every single little thing

app-only booking is consistent with their brand - all about cost savings

I'll admit my app vs website advantage ignorance right here but they're already paying for the flybonza domain - why not use it?
Do they appear on webjet or sky scanner?

Not according to this;

25 March, 2023

...It is unfortunately not possible to book a Bonza flight on the airline’s website (except through the app) or with online travel agents such as Webjet or Expedia. Bonza flights also don’t currently appear when searching on flight aggregator websites like Google Flights, Skyscanner or ITA Matrix.

In fact, if you use Google to search for a list of airlines operating on any of Bonza’s routes, Bonza doesn’t even appear in the results. For example, searching on Google for a list of flights between Rockhampton and Townsville reveals only one-stop options with Qantas or Virgin Australia...

I'll admit my app vs website advantage ignorance right here but they're already paying for the flybonza domain - why not use it?
A domain is like $20 a year, the real cost is building out and supporting/maintaining the website

These days you can probably capture 90% of the market with iOS and Android apps, maybe they figure a desktop website isn’t worth the effort

Bundaberg here we come, direct & cheaper, for two please.

$89 flights: Watch as Bonza’s ‘Sheila’ touches down in Bundy​

Bonza airlines officially kicked off its commitment to Bundaberg today, with the first Melbourne to Bundaberg flight touching down on a blustery Bundaberg Airport tarmac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back