Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope marriage and happiness can take his game to another level.

Last edited:

#10 Ben Cunnington

CUNNINGTON%20Ben.png

Games: 24
Goals: 12

Fresh off a career-best season in which he won the club’s Syd Barker Medal, Ben Cunnington looked set to replicate his efforts with a strong pre-season campaign. Despite his side suffering a 77 point loss to Adelaide in Round 1, Cunnington stood tall with 26 touches and four clearances. He was prolific the following week against Brisbane, earning two Brownlow Medal votes, but then had a quiet period, averaging 19.3 disposals between Rounds 3 and 6.

After captain Andrew Swallow suffered a broken thumb against Essendon in Round 7, Cunnington’s form lifted, averaging 24.5 touches against both Fremantle and Collingwood. However, his best was yet to come. Between Rounds 11 and 16, Cunnington averaged 25.2 possessions, five tackles and kicked four goals.

In Round 17 against Brisbane, the former number five draft pick kicked three goals, before producing arguably the best game of his season against Melbourne in Round 19 at the MCG. With 31 possessions, six marks, four tackles and a goal, Cunnington was one of the best on ground. He continued his good form in wins against St Kilda and Fremantle, before suffering a quiet afternoon against the Western Bulldogs with just 13 touches.

As the club geared up for a finals campaign, Cunnington was given the week off in Round 23 against Richmond, but was straight back into the line-up for the Elimination Final against the same opponent. Despite a slow start, Cunnington worked his way into the match as North slowly overtook Richmond, finishing with a solid 21 disposals. The following week against Sydney, Cunnington was superb, amassing 29 possessions and dominating in the clinches. He was valiant against the Eagles in the Preliminary Final with 20 touches and six tackles, but will be disappointed he and the rest of the midfield were overrun.

To cap off his season, Cunnington finished second in the Syd Barker Medal, edging out Shaun Higgins by three votes, but falling short of winner Todd Goldstein. This clearly stamps Cunnington’s importance to the side, and reiterates his status as one of league’s most improved and damaging midfielders.

On the eve of his 100th game in round one, club best and fairest Ben Cunnington says he’s expecting much more attention from opposition teams this season.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-03-07/norths-big-catch

Midfielder Ben Cunnington says his impending 100th game for North is nothing more than a building block for the season ahead.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-04-01/milestone-a-building-block

North Melbourne can’t rely on a swathe of GWS injuries to deliver a much-needed victory over the Giants this Saturday, Kangaroos midfielder Ben Cunnington says.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-06-16/roos-focus-on-themselves

While Todd Goldstein remains a clear leader on the North Melbourne leaderboard in the AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, Ben Cunnington can now boast a rare achievement.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-07-14/bens-ten

364592-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

373207-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

375099-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

387365-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

396011-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

403176-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

404777-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

409678-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

After captain Andrew Swallow suffered a broken thumb against Essendon in Round 7, Cunnington’s form lifted, averaging 24.5 touches against both Fremantle and Collingwood.

This remains my only real concern with Cunners, seems to play too many of his best games when one of Spitta or Jack are out of the side. Now obviously they can't all get 30 possessions a week but it would be good if they could start to show that they can work together consistently

This remains my only real concern with Cunners, seems to play too many of his best games when one of Spitta or Jack are out of the side. Now obviously they can't all get 30 possessions a week but it would be good if they could start to show that they can work together consistently

I might be a bit weird but I think of it as the complete opposite. I reckon the idea is to have an even spread. When someone is out of the side someone has to take up the slack. Makes it harder to shut us down

If zeebs does play more forward next year though watch out

I think he can go into his shell a tad if everyone in the midfield is pulling their weight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back