Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Tom Rockliff an average footballer? Anyone who averages 32 disposals, 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 5 marks, 13 contested possessions, 3 inside 50's and 3 rebound 50's is not average. What he does for our team is super important too. Wins the ball, applies pressure and gets us out of trouble a hell of a lot. One of the better decision makers in the game too. Clever player who is capable of playing forward. And with the return of Redden and Rich along with the addition of Beams, Christensen and Robinson we'll see him go forward more and kick 20+ goals for the year. Certainly one of the hardest working players. And our best player(neck and neck with Beams).

Nah fair enough. I'm not denying he is a capable footballer. The topic of the thread is 'overrated' footballers and I personally don't believe he lives up to the hype and regard put upon him. He's similar to Matthew Boyd in that statistically he is very impressive (as the numbers you put forth suggest) whereas the actual impact he has doesn't quite do those numbers justice. Similarly also with Boyd these numbers are noted a heck of a lot more in a poorer performing side.

I actually believe the inclusion of the players you mentioned will tell a lot about Rockliff. That is a pretty formidable midfield group you guys are going in with next year and it will be interesting to see how much genuine impact he can have with a stronger line up around him & being freed up as it were. Those 20+ goals you stated if playing a more forward of centre role would be a bare minimum. Most decent midfielders average a goal a game as it is anyway.

Am definitely happy to reassess my opinion on him this time next year but at the moment I don't think he is not a good player, I just feel that he is generally overrated as a player

Nah fair enough. I'm not denying he is a capable footballer. The topic of the thread is 'overrated' footballers and I personally don't believe he lives up to the hype and regard put upon him. He's similar to Matthew Boyd in that statistically he is very impressive (as the numbers you put forth suggest) whereas the actual impact he has doesn't quite do those numbers justice. Similarly also with Boyd these numbers are noted a heck of a lot more in a poorer performing side.

I actually believe the inclusion of the players you mentioned will tell a lot about Rockliff. That is a pretty formidable midfield group you guys are going in with next year and it will be interesting to see how much genuine impact he can have with a stronger line up around him & being freed up as it were. Those 20+ goals you stated if playing a more forward of centre role would be a bare minimum. Most decent midfielders average a goal a game as it is anyway.

Am definitely happy to reassess my opinion on him this time next year but at the moment I don't think he is not a good player, I just feel that he is generally overrated as a player

Being the side we were this year, he really only played midfield due to the reason I mentioned in my previous post. And our back half did see a lot of the ball so he was down there helping out too. I think he is capable of doing some damage, but hasn't had much of a chance as of yet. Shown before he can be dangerous up forward but his goal kicking needed some work. Capable of averaging 27 disposals and a goal or two a game next year. He will never be someone who can burst out of packs, lace out 60m passes to forward or anything like that. More of a workhorse who does damage with his decision making.

I personally think the addition of Beams and Christensen will actually make Rockliff a better player than what he is now.

Either way, for someone who never really possessed many outstanding qualities as a junior he has come a long way. Will be interesting to see how he goes in 2015.

- Andrew Mackie
- Steven Motlop
- Robert Murphy

3 interesting inclusions and I would love to hear why you think what you think.

Mackie I thought was pivotal to the cats in their dominance and now his knowledge would be invaluable.

Motlop, a young man who has shown a bit but has had a bad run of injuries.

Murphy, could you imagine the dogs without him? Think Fitzroy! He plays as well as J Gibson, R Shaw and M Johnson only without the support that makes them AA players.

- Tom Rockliff
- Chris Yarran
- Jack Ziebell
- Marc Murphy
- Jack Darling
- Trent Cotchin
- Michael Hurley
- Andrew Mackie
- Steven Motlop
- Robert Murphy
He's a 30 yr old 3 time premiership player who deserved to be in those teams, sure he's getting older now but I don't think that's what OP was talking about.

I've heard people talk him up as top 5 midfielder in the comp.

That's ridiculous.

I've heard people talk him up as top 5 midfielder in the comp.

That's ridiculous.

Heard from who?

He is not with GAJ, Pendles, Selwood, Watson and Kennedy.

But he is in the chasing pack with Dangerfield and Fyfe to break into the top 5. He is a gun - even if he plays for Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard from who?

He is not with GAJ, Pendles, Selwood, Watson and Kennedy.

But he is in the chasing pack with Dangerfield and Fyfe to break into the top 5. He is a gun - even if he plays for Port.
I've heard it here on BigFooty.

I personally think he is overrated and not just because he plays for port. ;)

I also think Hodge and Josh P. Kennedy are overrated

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Luke Hodge
3. Cyril Rioli
4. Trent Cotchin
5. Michael Hurley

I've heard it here on BigFooty.

I personally think he is overrated and not just because he plays for port. ;)

I also think Hodge and Josh P. Kennedy are overrated
I have no problem with - could be top 5. He is on the way.

Josh Kennedy in 2014 and 2012 was a top 5 mid. Just a clearance beast.

Boaks final v the hawks was immense. I only have Dangerfield ahead by a wisker. Boak over rated then so is Danger.

I have no problem with - could be top 5. He is on the way.

Josh Kennedy in 2014 and 2012 was a top 5 mid. Just a clearance beast.

Boaks final v the hawks was immense. I only have Dangerfield ahead by a wisker. Boak over rated then so is Danger.
The fact that you have "no problem with him being top 5" just proves my point that he is overrated.

No logic with the bolded part. How does that make any sense? Why are you turning this into Boak vs Danger?

You keep mentioning that final v the hawks. I have a feeling you're basing all your knowledge on Boak off that one game. I watched every port game this year (mate of mine is a port supporter) and I have formed the opinion that he is way overrated.

The fact that you have "no problem with him being top 5" just proves my point that he is overrated.

No logic with the bolded part. How does that make any sense? Why are you turning this into Boak vs Danger?

You keep mentioning that final v the hawks. I have a feeling you're basing all your knowledge on Boak off that one game. I watched every port game this year (mate of mine is a port supporter) and I have formed the opinion that he is way overrated.
Maybe read my post again - I said he could be top 5. The others will drop while the likes of Boak and Dangerfield are a chance to fill those spots.

Because he thinks that they are on par

Maybe read my post again - I said he could be top 5. The others will drop while the likes of Boak and Dangerfield are a chance to fill those spots.
How will the others drop?

Maybe Watson with the injury and age but what is there to suggest the others will?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back