Jun 5, 2015
Louisiana, USA
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LSU Tigers
539f93445de51.image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome mate, good to see your enjoying the great game. The grass that long must make it taxing to run around on anyway I have a few questions, Do you have football grounds over there or just use something else? Is there a league or do you end up playing the same people ever week?

539f93445de51.image.jpg

Howdy, I have been playing footy for almost 5 years now (not bad since I'm only 25). I'm mostly a rugby guy (I do well running in straight lines and breaking tackles), but have finally started to master some of the AFL skills*. I'm as Suns fan, as they joined the AFL when I started playing lol (and I was already a QLD Reds fan). I mostly play as a Midfielder now, but I've played a little bit everywhere but Ruck in the past. Anyway, nice to meet all you guys. I'll just post a couple of random photos.

* For an American.

IMG_0006.png

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Hi Yank. Am immediate fan of Baton Rouge Tigers. Hope they are as much of a paradox as my Richmond Tigers. It makes life interesting. Win the ones you should lose and lose the ones you should win. Be kind to your ankles. Strap em up. I used to play school rugby union. Mike Pyke (Sydney Swans) played RU for Canada, scored a try against All Blacks and won AFL premiership. Unique.

Sometimes the grass is a little long, but we try our best to maintain it. We play 18s on a big park field just outside the city (it is the only place large enough to put a full sized oval). We play 9-a-side up to 13-a-side on American football fields (where the field quality is normally better). And we do have a league, the USAFL it is called. We have a national tournament at the end of the year and everything. Normally during the regular season we play the same teams in our region (Houston, Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, etc) regardless of division, then when we get to nationals we play clubs all across the USA and Canada in our division (We are Division 4). They also have a Women's division. Unfortunately with our club being so small, when nationals are far away like last season, the club will not actually go. When that happens those of us that wish to play are free agents to play for whatever club needs us at the tournament. Even when nationals are closer, like in Texas, we tend to combine with another small club like Atlanta so we are more competitive. To be eligible for nationals, you have to have paid your fees for the league and played in a particular amount of USAFL and MetroLeague matches to be eligible, they keep track of all the registered players on the USAFL site (most of my club aren't USAFL registered and rather just pay our club fees).

Personally, I think the club I play for needs to be a little more semi-pro rather than social club (as far as how we train and who we let play). That is the biggest reason we are where we are compared to the big clubs.

https://usafl.com/
http://batonrougetigers.com/

We are nothing like the Richmond of the season! lol. We do have some sort of relationship with Richmond though, I know our club president went to meet with the club in Australia a few years back. They gave us uniforms before we had the funds to buy our own.

Mike Pyke is class. I use to follow Karmichael Hunt, but that experiment wasn't too much of a success.
Karmichael Hunt gave it his best. And when he achieved the fitness profile required for our game was a feared contestant. And now, my Yankee Doodle Dandy brother, look at what happened tonight. Our Richmond Tigers have smashed the all-season, 9-game undefeated Fremantle Dockers on their home ground in front of their fans in Western Australia. That's across the continent, about 4000 miles from home. Go you Tigers!

Karmichael Hunt gave it his best. And when he achieved the fitness profile required for our game was a feared contestant. And now, my Yankee Doodle Dandy brother, look at what happened tonight. Our Richmond Tigers have smashed the all-season, 9-game undefeated Fremantle Dockers on their home ground in front of their fans in Western Australia. That's across the continent, about 4000 miles from home. Go you Tigers!
Sorry, got a bit carried away there with the win.

539f93445de51.image.jpg

Howdy, I have been playing footy for almost 5 years now (not bad since I'm only 25). I'm mostly a rugby guy (I do well running in straight lines and breaking tackles), but have finally started to master some of the AFL skills*. I'm as Suns fan, as they joined the AFL when I started playing lol (and I was already a QLD Reds fan). I mostly play as a Midfielder now, but I've played a little bit everywhere but Ruck in the past. Anyway, nice to meet all you guys. I'll just post a couple of random photos.

* For an American.

IMG_0006.png

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg
He

Hey there! Good to see another Yank on the boards. I am new to Footy and live in North Carolina. I am having a hard time finding a Footy to kick around and learn a little. Where can i get a Footy in the US?

Sometimes the grass is a little long, but we try our best to maintain it. We play 18s on a big park field just outside the city (it is the only place large enough to put a full sized oval). We play 9-a-side up to 13-a-side on American football fields (where the field quality is normally better). And we do have a league, the USAFL it is called. We have a national tournament at the end of the year and everything. Normally during the regular season we play the same teams in our region (Houston, Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, etc) regardless of division, then when we get to nationals we play clubs all across the USA and Canada in our division (We are Division 4). They also have a Women's division. Unfortunately with our club being so small, when nationals are far away like last season, the club will not actually go. When that happens those of us that wish to play are free agents to play for whatever club needs us at the tournament. Even when nationals are closer, like in Texas, we tend to combine with another small club like Atlanta so we are more competitive. To be eligible for nationals, you have to have paid your fees for the league and played in a particular amount of USAFL and MetroLeague matches to be eligible, they keep track of all the registered players on the USAFL site (most of my club aren't USAFL registered and rather just pay our club fees).

Personally, I think the club I play for needs to be a little more semi-pro rather than social club (as far as how we train and who we let play). That is the biggest reason we are where we are compared to the big clubs.

https://usafl.com/
http://batonrougetigers.com/

Thanks for the response mate. Good read and I noticed after looking on that USAFL site that there are games being played a fortnight ago, so do you play all year round? I guess I take it for granted that if I want to go for a kick I will just go to any school or oval and 4 post will be there and away I go, using NFL grounds is something that I'm struggling to get my head around. In the not to distant future I might find my self in the US so its good to know there is a league I can join so I can strut my stuff (not much too strut) . Having a browse at the clubs and had a chuckle at the name 'Fort lauderdale fighting squids' but good to see the game growing and who knows one day there might be a premiership game played in the states.

Welcome to BigFooty, always great to see more of us Yanks coming on board.

I'm kinda jealous of the newer generation getting the chance to come up with and play AFL as a budding sport in the States, wish it had been a possibility when I was younger.

Anyways, good on ya and hope you continue to be a part of the boards here, and Aussie Rules, for a long while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back