Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

No bounces this year. That's a damning stat. He should be influencing games more. More running/more kicks into fifty/more goals/more goal assists - same amount of stats.
It isn't quite as damning in that we are the leading team for short kicks and uncontested marks this year.

Another week and another pathetic performance. When he takes a mark inside 50 he needs to go back and kick the goal. Also managed a sub 20 game and the most disappointing part was when we were on top of Collingwood he was no where to be seen.

Another week and another pathetic performance. When he takes a mark inside 50 he needs to go back and kick the goal. Also managed a sub 20 game and the most disappointing part was when we were on top of Collingwood he was no where to be seen.
He's a bad set shot, a good shot on the run, and his opponent was unable to chase him. He made the right move but executed poorly.

Beams - Zaka
pick#29 - pick#23
97 games - 93 games
24.2 yo - 24.2 yo
Av TOG 87.3 - 85.7
Cl 6.5 - 2.8
D 29.3 - 22.5 (contested 13.2 - 5.5)
DE 61.4 - 68.9
I50 3.8 - 3.7
Ta 6.5 - 3.0
M 4.2 - 4.7
1% 1.2- 0.3
Rebound50 2.2 - 0.8
Assist 0.5 - 0.7

The overall current output differential this season is phenomenal. Beams is also ahead on scoring impact. Though Zaka is more of an outside mid than Beams, he's not giving us much there either. Zaka also has conceded 7 more frees than he's won. To be fair to Zaka, a career comparison is more even, but it seems Zaka has stagnated somewhat and Beams is building.

It seems at the moment we'll have to accept he's a foot soldier. Hopefully he can start building on form with an extended run at it.

It seems at the moment we'll have to accept he's a foot soldier. Hopefully he can start building on form with an extended run at it.

I

You're comparing him to probably a top 10 midfielder in the comp.

There is a middle ground between "Beams" and "foot soldier".

I'm comparing him to someone who historically has a similar AFL football path. The whole point of a comparison is to look at varying results of similar starting points. Beams is probably top 10, Zaka is not. That's the point of the comparison. And the question is why isn't he? Talent? Injury? Development? Work ethic? Team? Coaching? That's the impetus for discussion. Why would we look at the two and shrug it off? Zaka probably was heading higher, faster relative to Beams, as I remember it, but hasn't kicked on consistently.

Of course there's middle ground between Beams and foot soldier, but Zaka is currently providing output closer to the latter rather than the former. Zaka's stats aren't too different from Howlett's this year.

Beams got to coast along behind Pendlebury, Swan and Ball for long periods.. did his apprenticeship without tags, without pressure..

And Beam is now a gun.

Zaka has had pressure from day 1, taggers, injuries.. etc etc..

There is no doubt Zaka is out of form and struggling, but still a huge upside if he can get it right.

Willing to give a bit more time and see how it looks in two years..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beams got to coast along behind Pendlebury, Swan and Ball for long periods.. did his apprenticeship without tags, without pressure..

And Beam is now a gun.

Zaka has had pressure from day 1, taggers, injuries.. etc etc..

There is no doubt Zaka is out of form and struggling, but still a huge upside if he can get it right.

Willing to give a bit more time and see how it looks in two years..

I don't think Zaka's had pressure from day 1. His early-career Anzac goal got attention, but I'm not sure he did by the likes of taggers for a while after that, if at all. It's not like he was thrust into the coalface like Trengove at Melbourne. Obviously, developing in a premiership team is more beneficial than not, so that explains Beams' development a bit more.

Also, you should probably edit your sig.

Zaharakis - Anzac Medal 2014.

I'm comparing him to someone who historically has a similar AFL football path. The whole point of a comparison is to look at varying results of similar starting points. Beams is probably top 10, Zaka is not. That's the point of the comparison. And the question is why isn't he? Talent? Injury? Development? Work ethic? Team? Coaching? That's the impetus for discussion. Why would we look at the two and shrug it off? Zaka probably was heading higher, faster relative to Beams, as I remember it, but hasn't kicked on consistently.

Of course there's middle ground between Beams and foot soldier, but Zaka is currently providing output closer to the latter rather than the former. Zaka's stats aren't too different from Howlett's this year.

I though that Zaharakis was genuinely on the verge of that A grade/AFL wide acclaim status at the point at which he was injured last year. He has not played a really good game of footy since (and that 41 possession game against Brisbane does not get close to being a good game). It was a similar pattern in 2012.

Are you saying that Zaharakis's best and fairest in 2011 and 10 weeks of seriously good form in 2012 and 2013 were aberrations and that he is now showing his true colours? If so, how do you explain it given that he has not received any more attention from opposition sides?

Would have though that they way history stacks up he is out of form or struggling with injury.

I though that Zaharakis was genuinely on the verge of that A grade/AFL wide acclaim status at the point at which he was injured last year. He has not played a really good game of footy since (and that 41 possession game against Brisbane does not get close to being a good game). It was a similar pattern in 2012.

Are you saying that Zaharakis's best and fairest in 2011 and 10 weeks of seriously good form in 2012 and 2013 were aberrations and that he is now showing his true colours? If so, how do you explain it given that he has not received any more attention from opposition sides?

Would have though that they way history stacks up he is out of form or struggling with injury.

I'm talking about 2014 performances. As I've said, we know what he is capable of, but we don't have an excuse for why he isn't producing.

Why would we "accept" that a 6th year player, a previous B&F winner in a finals year, "is a foot soldier" because he's having a bad run of form. He's patently not a foot soldier, as his 2011 form in particular highlighted.

As for Beams, he's in pretty rare company. His isn't a standard pathway at all. You could mount a very strong argument that he's better than Joel Selwood was 2 years ago (being 2 years younger), and that's with injuries, something Selwood hasn't really had to deal with since he was 16.

Why would we "accept" that a 6th year player, a previous B&F winner in a finals year, "is a foot soldier" because he's having a bad run of form. He's patently not a foot soldier, as his 2011 form in particular highlighted.

To summarise the last page and a bit of this thread, I guess, "Is it possible Zaka has regressed?" "It is most likely a form slump that he will eventually and inevitably recover from."

Zaka couldn't make the distance from 40 out when lining up for goal. There must be somethign physically wrong with him.

didn't back himself and he shanked it. Apart from a likely flu bout, there's nothing wrong with the bloke, just looks out of form. But that's cool, we're still better off with him than without him

Essendonia's comparison of Zaharakis and Beams could not be more accurate or relevant. Drafted in 2008, Zaharakis 24 and Beams 28. Similar amount of games, Both had an injury affected season where they both missed half a season. At the end of 2011, I had Zaka running neck and neck with Beams but since then Beams has run away. I wouldn't call Zaka a foot soldier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back