Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the hard thing for Zaka has been our change in game plan. We've gone from in the past a kamikaze style forward running (Which made us unstoppable for periods but had the threat of opening us up) to basically doing a 180 and playing slow, chip it around, possession footy. Zaka was perfectly suited to our old style of play. The problem is, the game is moving towards what we're starting to do now, we've just gone too far. Zaharakis looks like he's trying to play our new style, but in reality you still need 2-3 guys who can run forward and kick those break goals. He's one of our only ones.

I'd love to know what, if anything, was said to him preseason. Because whilst we've changed to this game style, we need Zaharakis to basically be an exception to the rule, rather than adopt the game plan too. A good example is Dempsey, he is one of our other few line-breakers. And whilst he has turned the ball over in his few games back and caused a few hairs to be pulled out, he's doing the right thing, we need him to take the game on. Just like we need Zaharakis to do.

Last edited:
Agree with Casey. Zaka needs to take the game on, along with Dempsey and Colyer if he is in the side. All good teams have outside runners. We don't at the moment. One of the reasons why Dempsey was rushed back in.
What Casey is pointing out, though, is that Zaka is far less likely to take the game on because of our style.

So rather than take the game on per se, Zaka needs to adapt.

I actually think when Zaka plays that 1st/2nd possession type style he excels. I may be wrong but he played a fairly contested game ANZAC Day last year and was amazing.
Yep, 14 of his 33 possessions are cotested, also 6 clearances

much much improved last night. he actually kicked to team mates advantage!!

Re-watched the game against Sydney yesterday. Was excellent in the third quarter and good for the rest of the game.

Played really well last night too. Whatever shackles had been put on Zaharakis seem to have been removed. Great to have him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy who can kick some fantastic goals his general conversion is pretty poor. Really needs to work on this.

his set shots are pretty dire atm.

Back him on the run though

last month:

31.75 possessions per.
7.25 marks per.
7 goals 5 behinds.
3.5 tackles per.
8.5 insid 50's per game

Absolute Adonis, if there was a player of the month award you'd probably give it to him

Whatever it was the coaches were working on for the first two months of the season, it ******* worked. That is unquestionably his best month of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back