Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

I sure ******* hope all 21 other players today went up to David after the game and apologized to him.

This was his moment. The call was put out and he answered it with a resounding "I will."

Champion.

This might be over the top but one of the great individual performances I've seen in an Essendon jumper for at least the last 5 years. He must have been gutted

When I got home from the game I put myself through the torture of the last 5 minutes again, just so I could see Zaka's goals. What struck me was his reaction after the second goal. Sure he celebrated, like we all did; but he was then quick to get the message out and try and push everyone back into defence. The action screamed of a leader, and for me potential future captain material.

Even as late as the final 20 seconds he was willing himself to EVERY contest and creating opportunities going forward. It wasn't to be and our defence crumbled but I am so proud of his efforts, and it really reminded me of the Hird days. It's just a shame that this performance will be forgotten by the start of next season. If he can keep this up going forward and keep improving his all round game I would not be against him being our next captain.

I'm loving the Zaharakis of the last month - I just hope that he can keep pushing himself to maintain this sort of level. Doing it for 4 weeks is one thing. Last year we were all raving about Melksham finding some consistency and look where we are now. But if Zaharakis can get himself to a consistent A grade level our team will be much stronger for it when we eventually get Watson back.

His last ten minutes in particular deserved a win tonight. I feel sorry for him as he goes home tonight after trying his guts out and his own fellow mates let him and the team down..

I don't think we should be comparing Zaka to Melk - Zaka is a proven player who can PRODUCE in big games. Zaka will have done exceptionally well, if he can produce another 4 games like his last month in his last 10 games

His last 4 weeks have been incredible. 34 i50 in that period. 2nd in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me why this guy was dropped from the leadership group? He and Goddard were the best leaders out there.

Because his teammates didn't vote for him. There was a significant gap in the voting between the top 6 and the next (who I presume was Zaka) so that's where they cut it.

A pretty stunning turnaround over the past month.

Last four rounds: 31.8 disposals; 7.3 marks; 1.8 goals; 8.5 inside 50s; 130.8 SC
First eight rounds: 21.8 disposals; 4.5 marks; 0.3 goals; 3.6 inside 50s; 73.1 SC

It's fair to say that he won't keep up his current stretch - to do so would be Ablettesque - but it hopefully provides a sign that he's ready to take the next step and join the likes of Watson and Goddard as they best players at Essendon. Certainly he was one of only a handful of guys last night who could leave the field with his head held high.

The Watson injury has some obvious downside but if it is the event that prompts the likes of Zaha to take the next step then it might be a pain worth enduring.

He's got penetration in his on the run goal kicking back. Very confident he will slot a goal from the paint on the run, something I was not at all confident about a month ago.

You can all thank me later for Zaka's return to form. Exactly 4 matches ago Zaka was introduced to the Pete's Pretenders supercoach side.

The rest, as they say, is history.

You can thank me for his s**t start to the season because he was in my Supercoach side for the first few weeks.

He's got penetration in his on the run goal kicking back. Very confident he will slot a goal from the paint on the run, something I was not at all confident about a month ago.

When he's running through 55 and not making the distance there's something wrong with him, it's as simple as that.

He now looks very fit and his form is reflective of it

This might be over the top but one of the great individual performances I've seen in an Essendon jumper for at least the last 5 years. He must have been gutted
He was not far from me when the siren sounded. Was on the ground with his head in his hands and did not move for a long time. Clearly gutted and so he should be.

A pretty stunning turnaround over the past month.

Last four rounds: 31.8 disposals; 7.3 marks; 1.8 goals; 8.5 inside 50s; 130.8 SC
First eight rounds: 21.8 disposals; 4.5 marks; 0.3 goals; 3.6 inside 50s; 73.1 SC

It's fair to say that he won't keep up his current stretch - to do so would be Ablettesque - but it hopefully provides a sign that he's ready to take the next step and join the likes of Watson and Goddard as they best players at Essendon. Certainly he was one of only a handful of guys last night who could leave the field with his head held high.

The Watson injury has some obvious downside but if it is the event that prompts the likes of Zaha to take the next step then it might be a pain worth enduring.

I love Zaka, but i got this excited last year when Melksham finished the season off so strong. We know he is capable of this, but have to wait and see if this form can remain permanent!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back