Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been pretty solid for a while, now. I wish he would lower his eyes more often but he was good today.
Definitely had a solid patch for the last month or so, he is miles ahead of last year where he honestly looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ground. I really hope he can continue to play a solid role, we don't need more out of him - we just need him to be solid, hit contests and not mess up too much.

He has been pretty solid for a while, now. I wish he would lower his eyes more often but he was good today.
Definitely had a solid patch for the last month or so, he is miles ahead of last year where he honestly looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ground. I really hope he can continue to play a solid role, we don't need more out of him - we just need him to be solid, hit contests and not mess up too much.
He’s been good since his public confessional that he needed to lift

It’s good leadership to deliver on the talk

I've been perhaps his harshest critic for the past few years and I thought he was very good today and has been for a while. When he's not making dumb mistakes or calling for the ball only to make a poorly thought out disposal, and hitting contests hard and clean like he has been, we look like a much better side.

I've been perhaps his harshest critic for the past few years and I thought he was very good today and has been for a while. When he's not making dumb mistakes or calling for the ball only to make a poorly thought out disposal, and hitting contests hard and clean like he has been, we look like a much better side.
Luke at his best is awesome. We just hadn't been seeing it. So pleased he is getting back to his best.

Last edited:
Genuinely thought he was gone. 18 months of pretty poor football from LMac, but these last couple of weeks… just feels like he’s playing with purpose again. No longer just running around like a headless chook or searching for a tackle to take him to ground - actually defending and connecting play. Important to see he, and Jy, can still do it. Will we see it more, against better opposition? Helps solve some massive problems if so.

Better the last 3-4 weeks but still want him to let go of co-captaincy next year. I want him to earn his spot every week and take a back seat when logue comben combo is firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too fussed with the long kicks because there were 1v1s everywhere in the forward 50 so a long ball into a hotspot makes sense if he can't see an open option inside 50. Also, going by how well our forwards were getting to contests and pressuring, get it in there as quickly as possible and our smalls/mediums will feast.

Great game and has been in good form.

As supporters, we want instant high performance.

LMac, Corr and Simpkin have all got better as the season has gone on and they build up after injury-affected pre-seasons.

With their return to form and the continuing growth of the draftees, I'm backing us in for a few more wins before the close

As supporters, we want instant high performance.

LMac, Corr and Simpkin have all got better as the season has gone on and they build up after injury-affected pre-seasons.

With their return to form and the continuing growth of the draftees, I'm backing us in for a few more wins before the close

This will be worth bearing in mind with the return of Logue.

He's probably going to take a month (likely more) to be right back up to speed.

This will be worth bearing in mind with the return of Logue.

He's probably going to take a month (likely more) to be right back up to speed.
No question. He'll take a month in the VFL (at a guess), which will only leave half a dozen games. Or put another way, he won't be back to his best until next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back