Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He beat Darling on numerous occasions tonight. How the **** does a small back do that?

Because Darling was soft as butter, on numerous occasions tonight.

But, Bags was very good for most of the night. Ball use worried me at times, but, his defending was top notch.

Haven't heard his name mentioned much but if the selectors were living in the real world he'd be very close to AA. Can only remember him getting beaten by Cotchin in the first Tigers game. Almost as good as N.Smith defensively and almost as good as Hibberd on the rebound. Best of both worlds.
Ballantyne and Green

I was happy that the coaches backed playing a smaller player on a bigger player - It worked far more often than we think. It was pleasing to see Baguley cope admirably against a leading tall forward - I remember Le Cras leading him a merry dance last year.

couple more of his tackling, which is ostensibly high art at this point (courtesy of the bros at blitz):

SorrowfulAliveIndigowingedparrot.gif

BAGS_vEagles_zpse6f705ed.gif

Didn't see the game live but just watched the replay. Good lord! Bags was a man possessed out there. Hungry like lion.
Spoiling, tackling, spearing passes.
Amazing performance, particularly as he seemed to be on Darling for a fair while.
Why is it that no one in the media seemed to pick that up?

Didn't see the game live but just watched the replay. Good lord! Bags was a man possessed out there. Hungry like lion.
Spoiling, tackling, spearing passes.
Amazing performance, particularly as he seemed to be on Darling for a fair while.
Why is it that no one in the media seemed to pick that up?

Typically as much as the media love making grandiose statements and some ridiculously early calls generally you need a pretty good 2 seasons in order to get noticed. Look at Hooker he is only just being talked about now for AA when he was excellent last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typically as much as the media love making grandiose statements and some ridiculously early calls generally you need a pretty good 2 seasons in order to get noticed. Look at Hooker he is only just being talked about now for AA when he was excellent last year
Carlisle was taking the best forward last year so it's fair enough that Hooker wasn't taken as seriously.

That was the best game I've seen Bags play tonight.
The good thing is, I don't even know that I'd agree with that.

I've had similar thoughts, maybe 5 or 6 times over the past two years.

He's just an extremely reliable defender that seems to be improving every few weeks.

He's just an extremely reliable defender that seems to be improving every few weeks.
He's a hard mofo, too. When you're tackled by him, you'd stay tackled.

I know he has been playing that well defensively for the last two seasons but this week he won a couple of extra one on ones then he normally does, he got the ball an extra couple of times then he normally does, he ran through the middle, he laid two really important tackles at two really important times in the game and he got involved in scoring chains more so then normal.

He has had similar defensive games in the past but this was his most complete game ever for the club. I agree, it was his best game ever. He is a beast. I love Frankston now. They have given me my favourite player in Hibberd and another star. Hope we get van unen fit and firing so we can see what he has.

I've been waivering on whether he is good enough.

Think I've got to move on from whatever I perceive his deficiencies to be. He's rock solid. If it wasn't for the AFL love affair with Heppell Baguley would probably have been recognised as BOG last Saturday.

Baguley probably could not give two shits about coaches votes.

He'd give more of a s**t about the coaches votes than all the other award votes.

Players don't care about that kind of stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back