Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised to read comments saying he is soft. Anything but, from what I've personally seen.

His kicking was worse than Kyle Hardingham's, and that's saying something. It's something he never really worked on over the last few years.

12 games of AFL, and we smashed Carlton in his debut. I think we'd all take that and run ;)

I'd be very surprised if another club gave him a lifeline.

All the best, Jason!

Surprised to read comments saying he is soft. Anything but, from what I've personally seen.

His kicking was worse than Kyle Hardingham's, and that's saying something. It's something he never really worked on over the last few years.

12 games of AFL, and we smashed Carlton in his debut. I think we'd all take that and run ;)

I'd be very surprised if another club gave him a lifeline.

All the best, Jason!

It's the corollary of the same stupid rationale that has fans embrace s**t players who become cult heroes.

Does not matter how hard you are, if you look like a private school kid you are perceived to be soft. If a player looks like the only reason he is in a team is to be tough and put pressure on he becomes a cult hero (regardless of how s**t and/or ineffective he is).

In the 30+ games I saw Ashby play I never once thought that his attack on the ball and courage in the air was anything but good (until this year he was much better and more reliable in the air than Gleeson was). The problem Ashby had is that the only identifiable AFL level attribute in his game was intercept marking at half back. His kicking was poor with a flawed action. He is thin with no power or speed. His running capacity seemed barely to be average.

There are plenty of players outside the AFL system who can float around the ground and pick up 20 possessions. It's not enough of a reason to be on an AFL list. Mark this one down as "we knew the kid would be a pro who was going to give it everything and who could be a leader". Unfortunately he just was not good enough.

It's an inexact science. Look at Aaron Heppell, it wasn't until this season was well underway that it became apparent that he had drawn level with Ashby as a player. He's now gone well past Ashby and it's unlikely that Heppell is AFL standard.

It's the corollary of the same stupid rationale that has fans embrace s**t players who become cult heroes.

Does not matter how hard you are, if you look like a private school kid you are perceived to be soft. If a player looks like the only reason he is in a team is to be tough and put pressure on he becomes a cult hero (regardless of how s**t and/or ineffective he is).

Hank.

Victim of too many hbf at the club esp if Dea and Kelly sign on.

Regardless of Dea & Kelly signing on or not, he has does nothing to warrant another season on an AFL list.

Point is Gleeson, Goddard,Kelly,Dea,dempsey,tippa,Ambrose, baguley have all played the hbf role at various stages in the last 12 months would have been ahead of Ashby, someone had to make way unfortunately, hibbard, quilt, and Ashby gone already from the backline as we regenerate

Point is Gleeson, Goddard,Kelly,Dea,dempsey,tippa,Ambrose, baguley have all played the hbf role at various stages in the last 12 months would have been ahead of Ashby, someone had to make way unfortunately, hibbard, quilt, and Ashby gone already from the backline as we regenerate
Gwilt, Dempsey and Hibberd all likely coming off the list as well. Can you remember a year where 4 mid sized backs came off a list? Any list?
He's not a victim of too many HBFers, he is simply not an AFL standard player.

This guy was ahead of Gleeson until mid way through last year. I still think he could play. Atleast be serviceable

No - Both four years in the system - Gleeson's played over 50 games and Ashby less than 20 games - Ashby and Gleeson were level in the first year, but from year 2 Gleeson streaked away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back