Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Not once did he work back to be the outlet today.

Duursma, Colby, Fish, and even Stevo all worked hard to be the switch kick or release valve on the wings and HB.

Not sure what he was doing.

Not sure he is
Hasn’t done anything at AFL level
Likely to go down the bonar and ahern road, top 8 picks who are busts and can’t put
If Horse sees fit to name you in a cut-throat final, you obviously have something to offer. Personally I rate his pace, tank, and kicking. Basically none of that was on display today. Definitely more footballing weapons than Bonar, and I don't even ******* know what happened to Ahern. Random 38 disposal game then he ****ed off. Would persist with Stephens next week but make it very clear that he's expected to ******* contribute

Really poor game, but let's not get all crazy about it.

Likely was running to where he was told to run to by the coaching staff. It just didn't work out.
Just bizarre that for such an outside player, who was recruited for his fitness base and arc-to-arc run, he wasn’t running like a winger today.

Needs to be better next week.

I’ve seen enough.

Thanks but no thanks.

Not going that far after 2 games. But that was rubbish today and deserves to be sent to the 2s for such a lazy performance. Can't have that sort of 'effort' being rewarded with the next game in our jumper.

Seemed ok in a few passages in the first half, but when the tide turned he completely disappeared and became a liability. Jury out for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our list management and centre line coaches also need to have a good hard look at themselves after that performance. I have no idea what sort of role he was given, but 8 touches at this level is just not good enough. I wouldn’t pull the trigger and dump him to the 2nds just yet. But he needs to lift big time next week. I saw Shiels had a big game yesterday in the 2’s, so there is pressure to hold your spot. I understand why the Swans were happy to release with Gulden and McInerny the future on the wing. But I like others hope we have not landed another dud that will clog the list for the next few years.

If Horse sees fit to name you in a cut-throat final, you obviously have something to offer. Personally I rate his pace, tank, and kicking. Basically none of that was on display today. Definitely more footballing weapons than Bonar, and I don't even ******* know what happened to Ahern. Random 38 disposal game then he ed off. Would persist with Stephens next week but make it very clear that he's expected to *** contribute
"Getting games in a good side" is one of the biggest fallacies in recruiting, imo. Right up there with "he was a high draft pick" and "we wanted him in his draft year".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievably, he ran the most kms of all 46 players on the ground today.... so the effort & fitness is there... he just needs to get into more dangerous positions & find the footy more!
How can you run 14km in a footy match and only get 29 SC points?

Unless you thought you playing hide-and-go-chase.

Absolutely shithouse. Of course you drop him, those saying to give him another week can FRO. Need to have higher standards around here.
The club has no ruthlessness.

One the whole, they’re happy to allow mediocre footballers (Daniel Howe as an example) to stink up the side on the off chance they may play a couple of good games after a string of s**t ones.

When CT was last playing 1s for us on a wing, he was at least getting 14-18 disposals a game.
Curtis Taylor got 6 possessions in the VFL yesterday….
That’s just about delist at season end territory.
Obviously has other priorities in life . One day he will wake up & smell the roses (dead ones) … of a potential AFL career he did not take …

Curtis Taylor got 6 possessions in the VFL yesterday….
That’s just about delist at season end territory.
Obviously has other priorities in life . One day he will wake up & smell the roses (dead ones) … of a potential AFL career he did not take …
My point is that last time he was playing wing for our AFL team he was averaging more than 15 possessions or more.

A couple of soft moments but also, Northball will be hit and miss for the wing. We get it and rush it into the corridor. Clearly ran 'enough' but maybe some right spot wrong time, some not utilised and some when given 2 options we'll pick a simpkin/LDU/Powell or whoever over him.

Needs to study the tape hard and lift his output. Oh and when it's your turn, you go!!

A couple of soft moments but also, Northball will be hit and miss for the wing. We get it and rush it into the corridor. Clearly ran 'enough' but maybe some right spot wrong time, some not utilised and some when given 2 options we'll pick a simpkin/LDU/Powell or whoever over him.

Needs to study the tape hard and lift his output. Oh and when it's your turn, you go!!
These are the same two reasons why Swans fans didn't really warm to him either. He was sometimes reluctant to physically impose himself on the contest and he didn't seem to run himself to the right areas. It's only been a few weeks with the Kangaroos and I hope it's not the case, but it does seem unlikely that there will be a big change in his output moving forwards.

Interesting point that you raised about him not often being taken as an option. I noticed that too after spending some time at games watching him. He often would be open for a switch on the fat side if the ground and would be ignored. I don't know it it was a lack of trust from his teammates or maybe they saw something that I couldn't see from the stands, but it was definitely noticeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back