Senior 15. George Stevens (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

He’ll need to thin down over the off season but for me the 2 aspects of his game that give me confidence are that he can find the footy and did so when going from U18 to VFL level and he is excellent by hand and foot. If he can distribute to our outside runners then he is a chance.

Looking forward to watching a bit more VFL footy next year to track his progress.
I think he'll play early.

There are quick slow players ... and slow quick players. Pace can be leg but also mind.

The club has seen this kid up close at least twice. Once in a the phonebox outright pace is probably not the ket criteria...its getting the ball and passing it out and coping with body heat. Of course...maybe the leg speed might prove to be his down fall..but at a late 50's pick..worth a ping I think.
Agree with much that has been said Turbocat:, George Stevens reminds me a lot like Greg Williams with his hands, is eager to dish it off in any direction to any player in the blink of an eye, Libba at Doggies is similar but to do what these guys do they need loads of body strength in close in order to do what they can do, reckon there maybe plenty of upside to this kid and I agree hold heartily Turbocat: that he's worth a ping from the late 50's, very happy with this selection.

I think he'll play early.

Unless we get smashed with injury I don’t think so. Currently he starts behind pretty much every other mid on our list. Unless he has a massive pre season and great early form then I think it’s more realistic that he might gain selection for a few games later in the year if deserved.

George - you couldn’t have done any more, including coming back from the ACL. Congratulations and welcome to the Cats family. I couldnt be happier. Just get out old videos of Joel Corey and see how he went OK - just like you will go - there is no substitute to workrate and getting the ball - you are made for our current list.

George - you couldn’t have done any more, including coming back from the ACL. Congratulations and welcome to the Cats family. I couldnt be happier. Just get out old videos of Joel Corey and see how he went OK - just like you will go - there is no substitute to workrate and getting the ball - you are made for our current list.
Pace is shockingly overrated and has been forever... Our tripple premiership side had a midfield the pace of a garden snail.. Went ok from nemory...

Ling- slow
Corey- slow
Bartel- slow
Ablett- fast
Kelly- average
Selwood- average

Yet their ability to win first use of the ball and link up was elite.. Very strong footy brains that were seconds ahead of others

I'm going to say it.... his going to be my new favourite... Move over Chook Charlie Constable...

I'm going to say it.... his going to be my new favourite... Move over Chook Charlie Constable...
I think George will quickly become a favourite of many.

Charlie was tall, but built like a twig and his skills were just okay. The Cripps comparisons were lazy by the media, the only similarity was height, and he couldn't run either.

George is quicker (albeit not quick), has much better endurance, bigger through the body, and he can kick the footy.

Said a few months back that he reminds me of JPK at the same age, and I'm sticking with that.

JPK was a slow burn, but boy was he worth it after a few years to get fit and develop his game.

I’m not certain he will make it but I am certain that he will leave absolutely no stone unturned in trying to. Absolute quality young man from a great family. An absolute beauty.

That i agree with. Seems like a fantastic family and hes a very hard working kid. Exactly what you want in a late pick will work to overcome deficiencies.

SMithy was elite in the running department... is this part of your anaolgy?

I know the knock on George is the speed... but can he run long just not overly fast?
If he's 100kgs and he can lose 3-4 that will improve his running outlook IMO.

GO Catters

SMithy was elite in the running department... is this part of your anaolgy?

I know the knock on George is the speed... but can he run long just not overly fast?
If he's 100kgs and he can lose 3-4 that will improve his running outlook IMO.

GO Catters

He ran 6m 37s for the 2km at the draft combine, so that is fairly good. The top 10 cut off was 6m 17s, so his time wasn't elite but certainly not bad. For comparison, I think Zane Duursma's time was 6m 54s, and Caleb Windsor's was 6m 28s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the slow thing has been completely overblown.

He's no Max Holmes, but he's not slow. I think it was Archie Roberts who he beat, who's considered a half back flanker with speed, so the whole thing feels a bit off.

Might just be the hulking frame that he's got that leads most to assume that he can't run, but he can actually do it well.
If the opposition underestimate him, all good:cool:

He ran 6m 37s for the 2km at the draft combine, so that is fairly good. The top 10 cut off was 6m 17s, so his time wasn't elite but certainly not bad. For comparison, I think Zane Duursma's time was 6m 54s, and Caleb Windsor's was 6m 28s.

And that 6.37 time was him carrying 100kg. If he can trim down to 90kg that time will come down considerably.

That's flying for a kid so heavy. I reckon his athleticism will go through the roof when he drops 10-15kg
I'm absolutely certain the year out with a knee is what's caused a bit of a blow out, rather than any diet/professionalism issues some are insinuating.

If anyone wants to, just google him and look for photo results from 2022.

He has a much leaner physique in photos, and is listed as 84kgs, so it's a huge difference and it shows, and that original weight will most likely be his playing weight after a pre-season or two.

Could be a huge blessing in disguise for us, as if he hadn't done the knee, he would've stayed at that weight and could have gone top 20 as a result.

The only real knock on his game is a flaw that's only become apparent in the last 18 months though injury. If that doesn't occur, unless we took him at 8 I doubt we end up with him.

I'm absolutely certain the year out with a knee is what's caused a bit of a blow out, rather than any diet/professionalism issues some are insinuating.

If anyone wants to, just google him and look for photo results from 2022.

He has a much leaner physique in photos, and is listed as 84kgs, so it's a huge difference and it shows, and that original weight will most likely be his playing weight after a pre-season or two.

Could be a huge blessing in disguise for us, as if he hadn't done the knee, he would've stayed at that weight and could have gone top 20 as a result.

The only real knock on his game is a flaw that's only become apparent in the last 18 months though injury. If that doesn't occur, unless we took him at 8 I doubt we end up with him.
Maybe the stress of senior coaching blew the waistline out for him

That's flying for a kid so heavy. I reckon his athleticism will go through the roof when he drops 10-15kg

I agree. His running is way better than constables was so theres a lot of scope for him to have afl level movement once we get 10kg off him. He also has great hands and vision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back