Rookie 43. Emerson Jeka (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

CHB but requires a lot of freedom to play off his man. Think a poor man's Darcy Moore.

He can use his size and speed to intercept and his excellent foot skills to distribute.

Doesn't have the innate aggression to crash packs as a CHF.
A poor man's Darvy Moore?

I'd accept an indentured servants Darcy Moore so this is an upgrade

The pick doesn't make sense unless we think he's better as a tall forward.
Really? Not sure if I agree. For a lot of last year, while Ratugolea was playing AFL, we had no AFL-listed players to play key position defender in the VFL. I believe we tried Foster (primarily a forward) down back at times, but otherwise used VFL-listed players.

Since then, Ratugolea has left and we have replaced him with an 18-year-old key defender, just drafted.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane kind of player? Not sure we're even allowed to use that phrase anymore, but you catch my drift.

Seems like a nice kid though, and as you say looks like he's got everything you could want in a player. Hopefully we can get the best out of him.
A very likeable kid but yes a bit too laid back and easy going.

If he can unlock some competitive dormant beast he could be a player but he reminds me of Beau Dowler who we picked up years ago all the tools and just a lovely gentle soul, but no will to compete.

Even though he was prodded he just could not find the will to do anything that remotely resembled body contact, he has the personality of someone who if he accidentally bumped you in the street he would apologise for the next hour, sometimes some kids are just too nice to make it.

Last edited:
Not to put any pressure on the kid, but...

For a kid thats got between the ear issues already ( not being committed enough by the reports) this will be enough to blow his ears clean off his head as far as omens go..

GO Catters

I still can't for the life of me work out why Jeka isn't one of the first names picked in our 22.

Beautiful mark. One of the best kicks we've had since our threepeat time. Reads the play well.
He was tipped to be drafted in the top 10 at one stage, so the talent is definitely there.

A shame we couldn't get the best out of him. Get the feeling that annoyingly, you guys will.

Jeka is:- Tall : Fast : Skillful : Great Mark : Precision Kick
Has already shown he can compete at AFL level
Apparently he lacked aggression as a skinny kid...mmm??? seriously???
1: Most confidence issues are resolved with practice and maturity.
2: Not every player needs aggression to be effective.
3: A smart coach should be able to maximise his assets.
4: A second chance can create the desire to change
5: Some players a just the wrong fit for certain teams

Really hope Jetta can prove his detractors wrong....
Just to stick it up the Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being one of our younger players delisted recently so we can get this hack on our list.

You'd be a bit miffed. But Jeka's ceiling is quite a bit higher than those guys. It just depends on if he gets his head right. Speculative rookie picks like Jeka are a bit like buying a lotto ticket. Odds are you won't win, but if you do the payoff is immense.

Still baffled why we didn’t take Shoenmaker and draft Humphy or Wiltshire with the rookie pick. Makes 0 sense to me at all

It's pretty simple tbh: senior list contracts are 2 years, whereas rooks can be delisted after 1 year.

Wiltshire and Humphries are very much early on in their development, and we want to give them time to settle in and show what they've got - without the pressure to succeed right off the bat.

Jeka on the other hand is nothing more than KPD depth taken for a season, to see if he can overcome his deficiencies and provide us cover in the event that we lose SDK, Kolo, Blics, J. Henry etc - and O'Sullivan is still developing and not ready yet.

If it pays off and he actually shows something - great. If it doesn't and he shows very little, he gets delisted and O'Sullivan is then ready to step up in 2025.

Makes perfect sense to me.

It's pretty simple tbh: senior list contracts are 2 years, whereas rooks can be delisted after 1 year.

Wiltshire and Humphries are very much early on in their development, and we want to give them time to settle in and show what they've got - without the pressure to succeed right off the bat.

Jeka on the other hand is nothing more than KPD depth taken for a season, to see if he can overcome his deficiencies and provide us cover in the event that we lose SDK, Kolo, Blics, J. Henry etc - and O'Sullivan is still developing and not ready yet.

If it pays off and he actually shows something - great. If it doesn't and he shows very little, he gets delisted and O'Sullivan is then ready to step up in 2025.

Makes perfect sense to me.
He's also KPF depth too, in break glass scenario. Sounds like he's more comfortable down back though.

It is quite possible that Kolo (head injuries) and/or J Henry (feet) could be sidelined at some point, and Blitz is likely to play as a Mid. We needed the cover. Was smart to make it a Rookie selection, whilst COS develops.

Before he is sentenced for the crimes commited ina different jumper...id like to see him play and make judgments about what he can and cant do ..now..as a mature 22 year old going forward.

Some of the Haw comments...(why we would want to put too much weight in comments with a brown and yellow taint , I have no idea ...). ... but anyway , some of them have little to offer but to besmirch a young mans character because he no longer players for them. I think a young scrawny 18 year old may well be a lot different to a 23 year old in a willingness to compete physically.... or he may not. We will see and for mine, be judged what he does in hoops. Either way he will not be the first player to have been delisted and then become handy for his second or third club.... or be a player who gets churned out as not up to it. He is a rookie pick. If it works great. If it doesn't bud luck move on.

One comment that the player made himself surprised me. his presser talked about his preference for playing in D. Be interesting where he plays and what role we try him in. If we wanted a pure defender as a rookei..im surprised we did not give BVDH a go

Before he is sentenced for the crimes commited ina different jumper...id like to see him play and make judgments about what he can and cant do ..now..as a mature 22 year old going forward.

Some of the Haw comments...(why we would want to put too much weight in comments with a brown and yellow taint , I have no idea ...). ... but anyway , some of them have little to offer but to besmirch a young mans character because he no longer players for them. I think a young scrawny 18 year old may well be a lot different to a 23 year old in a willingness to compete physically.... or he may not. We will see and for mine, be judged what he does in hoops. Either way he will not be the first player to have been delisted and then become handy for his second or third club.... or be a player who gets churned out as not up to it. He is a rookie pick. If it works great. If it doesn't bud luck move on.

One comment that the player made himself surprised me. his presser talked about his preference for playing in D. Be interesting where he plays and what role we try him in. If we wanted a pure defender as a rookei..im surprised we did not give BVDH a go
To be fair many of the Hawks supporter comments seem consistent with discussion on their board dated before his delisting. He had more defenders but the criticism was the same

Still baffled why we didn’t take Shoenmaker and draft Humphy or Wiltshire with the rookie pick. Makes 0 sense to me at all

Schoenmaker is a poor human behaviour wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back