AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally read a couple of posts up and someone has said ‘he’s not that good and never will be’ after his pre season game.
One pre-season game? Or the last 2 years of middling performances? He has to take the next step at some point, but his game against Geelong was just more of the same from him.

Last edited:
Or the last 2 years of middling performances?

Those were literally his 2nd & 3rd years :tearsofjoy: and during a time when the club was a shambles both on/off the field and moving into rebuild/assesing new gameplan mode.

What do you want him to do? Be Bontempelli 2 years in? I feel like we sometimes forget how raw such players are and expect them to carry the club so soon. I get that we've become impatient but that shouldn't be a factor in assessing a player's progress which isn't always linear.

I'm not making excuses for him but some perspective is needed. Feel like we've been jumping the gun a bit.

It's actually great that he's been able to pay 23 games last year. Imagine if he was injured the entire time. What would you say then? "Oh he's finally on the park, let's see how he goes", you'd be way more patient than you are now.

Those were literally his 2nd & 3rd years :tearsofjoy: and during a time when the club was a shambles both on/off the field and moving into rebuild/assesing new gameplan mode.

What do you want him to do? Be Bontempelli 2 years in? I feel like we sometimes forget how raw such players are and expect them to carry the club so soon. I get that we've become impatient but that shouldn't be a factor in assessing a player's progress which isn't always linear.

I'm not making excuses for him but some perspective is needed. Feel like we've been jumping the gun a bit.

It's actually great that he's been able to pay 23 games last year. Imagine if he was injured the entire time. What would you say then? "Oh he's finally on the park, let's see how he goes", you'd be way more patient than you are now.
No one is expecting him to already be a star, but the problem is that his trajectory has seemed to stall. And the fact he's had so much opportunity and has still yet to show he can consistently have an impact is what's so frustrating.

As I said, at some point you have to take the next step. I'm not writing him off but this is possibly a make or break year for him and he hasn't exactly started well. You can say "it's only a practice game" but established players who have nothing to prove (Parish, Merrett, McGrath, Goldstein) went out and put their best foot forward. Be interesting to see if he's even in the team come Round 1.

Looks like he’s overthinking about what he should be doing/ where he should be running than just playing naturally
Think everyone needs to just give him part of the season to figure it out before judging him. His role may have changed in the offseason with gresh coming in. Maybe wlso with Martin duurs tstatas duz all either included or changing roles his has changed and adjusting to positioning.
He did a few nice things against Geelong and as a people have said improving each year.
Had 2 inside 50s and 2 score involvements from 7 possies which is quiet, but hit the post and was in the def 50 for 45% of the game which to me sounds like a lot (does that show his role might have changed with filling defensive space etc.) I’m not sure but don’t think it’s cause for alarm
If he averages 15 disposals 1 goal a game 5-6 score involvements at good efficiency that’s an improvement and also applying defensive pressure. He’s a good tackler.

Think he works into the season.

I am worried about Perkins and don't understand the hype over him being a star player. He is not quick, he gets lost in transition, seems lazy, always running alongside the play and he doesn't have much impact.

I think he has to play forward of centre and that is where he is best suited, but I don't think he and Stringer can play in the same forward line together? Perkins seems to have stalled and it is a huge year for him. In hindsight, those 2020 draftees should've spent considerable time in the VFL developing considering they missed a whole year of football. I think it is hard for some players to develop in the AFL and are better served playing a lot of VFL football. Some players can handle playing different roles and developing in the AFL...I also have the same fears for Tsatas, I think he should be developing further in the VFL.

Kid's improved year on year so far. No reason why this won't be the case this season.

I think people expect 'breakout' years and ignore continued improved performance because he's not immediately a star.

I'm quite convinced people don't actually check anything before announcing he's no good, he's improved pretty much across the board on every stat each season he's played.

He's played further up the field in his third season yet still managed to maintain the same scoring output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy’s getting a lot of attention - is he one of the ringleaders / members of the famous “non-afl-lifestyle” group? I was imagining him, Cox, Jones, Guelfi but that’s just wild speculation on my side

This guy’s getting a lot of attention - is he one of the ringleaders / members of the famous “non-afl-lifestyle” group? I was imagining him, Cox, Jones, Guelfi but that’s just wild speculation on my side
no you are right, heard from someone close from the club last year he is one of the 'ibiza' boys, loves to party, and go hard. Make of that what you will.

I posted around this time last year that I just don't see 'it' with Perkins. A year later and I still don't see it. Not saying he's no good and I do accept he has marginally improved year on year, but I just don't see a star player there. Hope I'm wrong and he explodes at some point and makes me look silly.

I posted around this time last year that I just don't see 'it' with Perkins. A year later and I still don't see it. Not saying he's no good and I do accept he has marginally improved year on year, but I just don't see a star player there. Hope I'm wrong and he explodes at some point and makes me look silly.
I think we all join you in the hope that he will be more than a solid contributor that plays every week but never goes top 3 in the bnf....

At some stage though, we do need to stop looking at these guys as kids. I hated how Perkins played vs Geelong (yes, I know it’s only a practice match), but think he’s progressed okay throughout his career so far. For a top 10 pick entering his 4th year, I’d have him smack on average at a 5/10 - or maybe a 6, which I don’t think his stats quite support, but he does play a tough position. This needs to be the year though, where he really takes another step if he’s to become more than just a good, solid player. It’s incredibly rare for players to suddenly become better than that in their 5th year or later.

At some stage though, we do need to stop looking at these guys as kids.

Don't think anyone is looking at him as a kid. But in the grand scheme of things, he does generally fit the average age of the side the moment you take out Heppell/Shiel/Goldy, which is much younger than the average age of a competitive/consistent sides we see in comparison. In a side that has had less good 200+/300+ game leaders than others.

It’s incredibly rare for players to suddenly become better than that in their 5th year or later.

Yes but how many of those players show what Perkins showed in his first year? How many of those players have played for Essendon?

You can't exactly say he's had the best foundation to improve in his position. Nor the leaders that other clubs have the access to.

Not making excuses for him, and I agree that he does need to make sure his stats continue to go up exponentially this year, but he doesn't have to tear the game apart. Hopefully as the rest of the team improves and stability continues, he can have an environment that'll take full advantage of his ability to stay on the park as much as he does.

no you are right, heard from someone close from the club last year he is one of the 'ibiza' boys, loves to party, and go hard. Make of that what you will.
Don't mind all of that - as long as you can get a kick on the weekend.
They don't all have to be choir boys - in fact it is better if they are not! But he is mugging himself every time he plays atm.

Archie played on the wing a bit

Which ive been calling for

Im still not sure id rsther Durham inside and Archie outside, but i still really like that were looking at Perkins as a wingman

Hes had a fair bit of opportunity to develop his game and hasnt really taken the jump

With Ridley injury he will probabky be required on a wing far more for the first 3 weeks if hes to get a game

Im glad Scotty is listening

He could be a real solid role player on a wing for a bit. His endurance, line breaking and size suits the role very nicely

Four things worry me about Perkins.

1. He isn't quick so either gets caught holding the ball or rushes his disposal under pressure
2. Isn't a good clearance player so therefore doesn't have much impact as a mid.
3. Doesn't know where to position himself without the ball so therefore doesn't defend.
4. Goes missing for large chunks of the game which is in part due to number 3.

One or two things are manageable. All 4 is a little concerning, although I think he can improve the last 2 to become a valuable player.

He doesn't need to be a star of the competition. If he can reach the level of a player like Heeney then it's a good pick. Although Heeney hasn't reached the heights we thought he'd reach, he is still a good player for Sydney that has the occasional elite game. I'm hoping Perkins can be that player too. He certainly has the potential. I hope he can reach it.

Four things worry me about Perkins.

1. He isn't quick so either gets caught holding the ball or rushes his disposal under pressure
2. Isn't a good clearance player so therefore doesn't have much impact as a mid.
3. Doesn't know where to position himself without the ball so therefore doesn't defend.
4. Goes missing for large chunks of the game which is in part due to number 3.

One or two things are manageable. All 4 is a little concerning, although I think he can improve the last 2 to become a valuable player.

He doesn't need to be a star of the competition. If he can reach the level of a player like Heeney then it's a good pick. Although Heeney hasn't reached the heights we thought he'd reach, he is still a good player for Sydney that has the occasional elite game. I'm hoping Perkins can be that player too. He certainly has the potential. I hope he can reach it.
He’s not lightning quick but he’s quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back