#16: Ryan Griffen *Former Player*

Remove this Banner Ad

#16: Ryan Griffen (Griffy, Cyclops)

DSC00478_1%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

Photo by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

DOB: 27th July, 1986

Drafted: Pick 3 (priority), 2004 AFL Draft (recruited from South Adelaide)

Height: 188cm Weight: 86kg

2011 Review:

Games: 22
Goals: 24
Subsituted: N/A
Best and Fairest: 3rd (99 votes)
Dreamteam: 2164 points; $333,900 (-$45,400)
Supercoach: 2381 points; $421,500 (-$34,700)

Contract status: End of 2015

Stats history: Ryan Griffen (AFL Tables)

Ryan Griffen backed up his stellar 2010 season with another solid year, playing every game and finishing 3rd in the Bulldogs B&F. He finished second in kicks (341) and third in goals (24) behind full time forwards Hall and Giansiracusa. He was the Bulldogs' main attacking midfielder, leading the club for inside 50's (130) and goal assists (24).

Griffen collected 100 disposals and kicked 10 goals during a four game purple patch mid year coinciding with the Bulldogs 4 game winning streak, although his next few weeks were relatively quiet as the team struggled.

Arguably his best game was the 33 possessions and 3 goals in a crushing win over Brisbane in round 2. He also racked up 28 possessions and 2 goals in the final round win over Fremantle.

With his running bounces and evasion abilities, Griffen gains the most ground for the Bulldogs, although at a cost of lower disposal efficiency compared to elite midfielders.

A selection of past threads about Ryan:

Cheers Ryan Griffen

Griffen

Probably my favourite player at the moment along with Easton Wood and Matty Panos.

Love the way he goes about it.

Yep. The tackle evasion, running bounce and 50m goal is wonderful to watch :D

The last few years he has loved the 60m goals. His kicking is deadly, and very underrated by a lot of people.
Going inside 50, his kicks are long and direct, and into a near perfect position for a leading forward.

Easily my favourite player. I love Griff.

Western Bulldogs lock up Ryan Griffen

EXCLUSIVE: THE Western Bulldogs have safeguarded Ryan Griffen from a free agency raid after re-signing the midfield star to a long-term contract extension.

The silky ball-winner has recommitted to the club for a further three years, tying the deadly right-footer to the kennel until the end of 2015.

It means Griffen, from South Australia, will be off limits to rivals when free agency begins at the end of the year, when top clubs such as Collingwood and Geelong have pledged to go hunting out-of-contract stars.

Griffen was contracted until the end of this season, but was presented an early extension by the Dogs to ward off lurking suitors.

Read More...http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-up-ryan-griffen/story-e6frf9jf-1226241206762

Congratulations, he's a superstar and it must be a sigh of relief for you guys to know that he's secure in bulldog clutches.

Re: Western Bulldogs lock up Ryan Griffen

I already hold Griff in very high esteem. This news has just confirmed what a man of true character and loyalty he has become...It is players like Ryan that give me hope for the AFL.

I already hold Griff in very high esteem. This news has just confirmed what a man of true character and loyalty he has become...It is players like Ryan that give me hope for the AFL.

good reason we took griff over buddy. if hawthorn wernt as good as they were, cnat see him being as loyal and true to the club as griff is.

Just love this blokes attitude and respect he has for the club.I wish there were more like him.To top it off i think were about to see his best football in the next couple of years.

Just love this blokes attitude and respect he has for the club.I wish there were more like him.To top it off i think were about to see his best football in the next couple of years.

I'm not convinced that he is still to play his best football but it's a fantastic signing and it will give plenty of members something to smile about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced that he is still to play his best football but it's a fantastic signing and it will give plenty of members something to smile about.

I think the focus on decision making underpressure that we have under mcartney will be good for him, both personally and by having better disposal by teammates around him. Could easilly improve - has all the tools.

I agree, I reckon this is gunna be Griffs year

And the future of all mankind!

Very happy with the news. Just goes to show that players don't HAVE to try and squeeze a club for all it's worth every time a contract is up for negotiation.

Regarding free agency - I thought we were only getting limited free agency that only comes into play once a player has been at a club for 10 years??? In which case Griff has only signed up until he is eligible for free agency... Can anyone confirm/deny this?

And the future of all mankind!

Very happy with the news. Just goes to show that players don't HAVE to try and squeeze a club for all it's worth every time a contract is up for negotiation.

Regarding free agency - I thought we were only getting limited free agency that only comes into play once a player has been at a club for 10 years??? In which case Griff has only signed up until he is eligible for free agency... Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Nah, it's 8 years, not 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back