Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy with this move. We've now been able to attract a quality footballer for the last 3 years in Goddard, Chapman and Cooney.
Hmm, it certainly contradicts the whole exodus thing when we can obtain two really high quality players in two years, one of which was still in contract!

Again I think people place too much emphasis on youth and picks ahead of proven talent.

Pick 37 isn't exactly a guaranteed superstar. Half of the kids picked up around that range will play less than 10 games.. and 1 in 10 become 'good'. About 1 in every 30 become the players around Cooney's calibre.

Cooney has stated his knees were worse in 2011 and 2012 than in 2014.. because he had a different type of surgery and manages them a lot better now. The guy is a great player with poise and skill.. will slot into HF nicely.

This is a player that polled 7 votes this season in the Brownlow. name how many pick 37 players polled 7 votes in any season of AFL? Hmmm yeah.

People had the same negativity towards the Chappy trade too.. and that worked out ok. With FA now.. you don't need to rely on the draft alone. We still have young talent on the list and will add to first round picks to that talent again this year. So using one spot to have Cooney is nothing.

Great get by the club. Welcome Adam Cooney to the EFC!

Play him as a forward
yep.. he had 4 games this year playing forward and snagged a couple of goals (handed a couple off as well)... is really smart around goals. I can see him rotating with Chapman between HF and Midfield as the game demands.

Was still tagged at times this year.. no way that happens in our midfield next season.. so I expect Cooney to have some really solid games. I would not be surprised to see him finish top 10 in the Crichton.. at all.

Seems like a speculative trade at best. I really hope the medical staff have done their homework. I'm sure we would have been better off asking for Young or Newton from Port. Oh well.

I'm sure they haven't.

o_O

Have to remember, what facilities will be better for a bloke with knees like Cooney's?

Whitten Oval... Or the HPC?

Cooney is, in full flight, an absolute gun. I'm stoked.

Welcome Adam! The fact that he wants to come here is half of the battle, we need players who are %100 committed. So out: Ryder who doesn't have his heart in it for us and In: Cooney and Giles who want to be here is fine by me.

Nail at least one of picks 17, 20 as well as we did with pick 26 for Crameri and we'll be laughing

Well his off field and on field experience will be great to add to the club. If he does happen to be struck down by injuries I wouldn't be overly upset. But if he holds up for a short time then awesome. This is such a low risk move. But rewards are through the roof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prelim final against Port. Cooney cruches Judas to the ground. Picks up ball takes a bounce kicks from 45 and goals. Essendon hit the lead. Siren sounds, Goddard points at Paddy and laughs.

I am content.

Prelim final against Port. Cooney cruches Judas to the ground. Picks up ball takes a bounce kicks from 45 and goals. Essendon hit the lead. Siren sounds, Goddard points at Paddy and laughs.

I am content.
While Giles gives Paddy a little consolation ruffle of the hair.

I am content.
Poetic.

"From our discussions with Adam, he is very excited about coming to play for a big club in blockbuster games such as ANZAC Day and Dreamtime and we are excited about what he can offer us."

Yes, have fun playing in those big blockbuster games Paddy :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back