Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

If none of our players are suspended we're going to have a pretty decent VFL side. Watchable in any event!

If his knees are shot then we just treat him as a Winderlich clone. There really isn't a problem with him playing two thirds of a season if he impacts the game like Licha usually does. I think we are ahead of the curve in managing players careers for a few extra years by managing their bodies. If you treat an injury prone player the same as everyone else then they will be gone quick. If you do what we have been doing the last few years then players don't seem to ever retire!:rolleyes:

Good luck with Adam, hope it does well for you guys.

Has to be managed, still has that explosive pace but when the knee plays up, he'll be a shadow of the player you saw last week.

Nice one Coon, choosing us took some balls, anticipating that you'll produce close to your best footy over the next 2-3 yrs.

I'm reasonably happy with him. Trust that the doctors have a good idea on his knees and he has played two seasons in a row now with not too many problems.

Just had a look at previous B&F placings with the dogs.

2009 - 23 games - 7th
2010 - 20 games - 8th
2011 - 13 games - DNP
2012 - 14 games - DNP
2013 - 19 games - 7th
2014 - 18 games - DNP

Looks ok. Have to remember that he didn't even win a B&F when he won the Brownlow. Also, 2014 was a high vote count so he was probably at the same level as the year before and would've been top 10 if he played more games.

Will be 29 for the majority of next year so we should get at least 2-3 years out of him.

Just have to hope his body holds up.

I see this as a zero risk trade.. PIck 37 wasn't even going to be used ffs.. so we get a bloke that might play 10 average games and 6 blinders for us next season.. and that will be fine.

Agree and understand the knee needs to be managed.. but the club should be the best in the business with our new facilities etc etc etc to do this.

We are far too quick to 'talk up' draft picks.. and young kids (see Boyd) but also too quick to throw out champions..

Apparently flew through all drills at the club.. and after the surgery two years ago.. the knee has stabilised, if not improved.. so sounds like the Dogs didn't manage it right to start within 2011-2012.. probably cause they needed him on the field.. rather than giving him the time to repair.. but since then it has improved.

I really like Cooney.. explosive turn of pace but a bull around the ball.. what a mix!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean Port. North got Jacobs from Port.
Didn't he go into the draft though? I'm sure he did.

EDIT: yes, he did. He requested a trade to North but it didn't get done. He then didn't re-sign with Pork and went into the draft, where North got him with #37.

does anyone know what other pick 37s have turned into over the years? Obviously it doesn't mean anything but still interesting
Past 5 are Alex Pearce (Fre), Ben Jacobs (NM), Jack Newnes (St. K), George Horlin-Smith (Gee) and Jamie MacMillan (NM)

I see this as a zero risk trade.. PIck 37 wasn't even going to be used ffs.. so we get a bloke that might play 10 average games and 6 blinders for us next season.. and that will be fine.

You were not going to use your 2nd rounder?

You were not going to use your 2nd rounder?
Well, now that we have 17 and 20, unless we make other list changes that at this point are not anticipated, I don't think we'll have enough space on the list for three live picks. So 37 would have been Ambrose's upgrade. Now, with 37 gone to Footscray and 53 gone to GWS, that'll be likely with 62.

Unless there are more list changes to come than expected.

Cooney had a good to very good 2013 and an average 2014. Don't fool yourself and think 2014 was better than 2013.

A bewildering decision by the club.

Cooney had a good to very good 2013 and an average 2014. Don't fool yourself and think 2014 was better than 2013.

A bewildering decision by the club.

You could say the same for Griffen, no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back