Retired 17. Hamish McIntosh (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon West Coast are also in deep s**t as Cox will likely only have one more year of footy left and they got no foreseeable replacement in sight. Naitanui is not mature enough yet and won't be for another 3-4 years to handle ruck all game long.
Jolly is already fornicated!
You seen their VFL squad :D
Collingwood are the most likely team of all the top sides the last 3 or so years to start falling away the quickest.

At the risk of raising your ire, I disagree. The Pies have 4 first rounders or something in his draft don't they? I think their midfield is younger than say, the Hawks and ours. Cloke is Buddy's age and the likes of Reid and Brown are still young down back. I actually think the Hawks need to strike next year as their midfield like Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne, and a crocked Hodge will be on the way down.

Come on,the AA selectors were taking the piss out of us with that one.Even his own club didn't rate his year.

He was still dam impressive though JJ, and his rate of improvement has been just remarkable. Will be even better again next year as well. Although I do agree with Bobby's point - will be interesting to see how he goes in the future without Cox to give him a chop out.

At the risk of raising your ire, I disagree. The Pies have 4 first rounders or something in his draft don't they? I think their midfield is younger than say, the Hawks and ours. Cloke is Buddy's age and the likes of Reid and Brown are still young down back. I actually think the Hawks need to strike next year as their midfield like Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne, and a crocked Hodge will be on the way down.

ire?
that's your opinion mate and it's good one, I tend to agree but reckon Collingwood may also start to feel it as other teams now closing the gap.
Not a bad scenario though having both Hawthorn and Collingwood slide.

I have no doubt if they could that the Cats would recruit him into the VFL team.
You gotta remember with Orren is he got to the point (age-wise atleast) that he lost that ambition to play AFL, he realised his level is VFL and was more than happy making an ok amount of money playing VFL, the Cats basically gave him a dream for 12 months and allowed him to play AFL (and win ANOTHER VFL flag).
I dare say he wont care what happens next year.

Not sure that is true he has had a taste and knows another pre season will be to his benefit. Imagine getting an opportunity at something and then testing the water only to have it taken away. He is definitely gone which is the nature of the beast in running a competitive club.

Yes he is fine.

but he was struggling to get past Stevie J once physical contact was put on him which is a rumor that has come about that he dislikes the physicality side of the game (I personally disagree as he's a monster of a man) but he does tend to struggle when rucks get physical.
If Mumford could just go all game with Naitanui, I think you will be relatively surprised by how ineffective Naitanui would become.
Dean Cox is the best ruckman I have ever seen and probably the best ruck of the last 20 years, you must underrate him heavily.

And just on HMac, he will not be rucking all game long because he does not have the tank to do so and he is prone to injuries, you should know this as Geelong will not risk losing him into his 2nd year contract by throwing him straight into the deep end on day 1.

Come on,the AA selectors were taking the piss out of us with that one.Even his own club didn't rate his year.

Put the post in context

Wasn't arguing the validity of his selection I was just highlighting that an All Australian as backup ruckmen isn't a liability in any way shape or form should Cox go down.

If Cam Mooney in his AA year was backup to Pavlich it doesnt mean if Pavlich went down Mooney couldn't do a job perfectly well.

I was just highlighting that an All Australian as backup ruckmen isn't a liability in any way shape or form should Cox go down.

I guess Cox wasn't AA material this season either.
Losing Cox is no big deal just as Ottens was no biggie either ;)

Id say we would be hoping for 15 games , alternating with Simpson. allowing him to get 5-10.

Also watching him get interviewed in the Premiership stand , a few things stood out to me.

One he would know he has come to a club on a growth spurt. The new Players stands going up , would all be positive to be at a club that feels finically secure.

Interviewed in the Premiership stand. Welcome to expectations HM

Also re his leg issues, I wonder if the slightly softer more natural turf at KP will be better for him. We know SJ struggle to back it up after a Docklands game , but with a lot more games at G as well as KP , it would be less taxing on his legs (in theory)

Interesting that the article on Rivers and HMac mentioned mentoring the younger players.
I think the Club is getting better at managing player expectations and hopefully this will continue to improve and lead to a better understanding of why players are "rested" during the year. I suspect that limiting the rotations may lead to more "resting" in 2013 and with our depth this could be a good thing !!

Interesting that the article on Rivers and HMac mentioned mentoring the younger players.
I think the Club is getting better at managing player expectations and hopefully this will continue to improve and lead to a better understanding of why players are "rested" during the year. I suspect that limiting the rotations may lead to more "resting" in 2013 and with our depth this could be a good thing !!

I thought they'd decided to nix the interchange cap for now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balme was very explicit in mentioning that Simpson would benefit from HMac's tutelage, along with West and Vardy.
I read that as a clear indication that Simpson is staying.
This is very good to hear. Looks like it's gonna be the big O that goes then. I would be happy to keep him in the side but he would be playing vfl so can't begrudge if he wants to go

Balme was very explicit in mentioning that Simpson would benefit from HMac's tutelage, along with West and Vardy.
I read that as a clear indication that Simpson is staying.
Let me say this first, I congratulate Geelong on a fair deal, certainly financially. If you knew the inner workings of what we're paying and who you'd inderstand. But in no way is he going to be a ruck "guide" or anything like that. That was one of the reasons he was given the arse from being our first ruckman. His tap out's often got the opposition back in the game. His strength is his workrate and around the ground, minus overhead marking. Along with the fact that he can kick goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back