Player Watch #17: Riley 'Stiffy' Hardeman

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Riley Hardeman!

View attachment 403405643_6657851130979600_103091275746122310_n.mp4

North Melbourne has selected line-breaking defender Riley Hardeman with pick No.23 in the 2023 AFL Draft.

Hardeman, the Kangaroos' fifth selection on a huge opening night, captained Western Australia in this year's under-18 championships and was one of the side's standouts despite a tough campaign.

He earned All-Australian selection after averaging 18.5 disposals across the championships, before testing himself against bigger bodies by making his WAFL debut for Swan Districts.

A speed machine with a raking left-foot kick, he is also a strong mark, having placed in the top 10 for both jumps tests in the Draft Combine.

With his pace and exciting ball movement the main features of his output, Hardeman is also capable of having an impact as an outside midfielder.

Last edited:

1. He can lead from the front​

Not everyone has the opportunity to lead their state side when rising through the ranks, but Hardeman was one of the few young players across the country entrusted with a captaincy role for the 2023 under-18 National Championships. Revered by his peers and coaches, Hardeman consistently displays his high footballing IQ and plays with a strong sense of maturity on gameday, which could put him in the mix for a future leadership role at North Melbourne.

2. It might take a while to convert his nan​

Despite growing up in Perth, Hardeman has begun life as "a Saints fan, unfortunately," he told SEN. "My Saints upbringing was that dad was originally from Mornington in Victoria, so I didn’t really get a choice to be a Saints fan (or not). I just learned to live with it." While Riley was "over the moon" to pull on the North Melbourne jumper on Monday night, getting his nan to support the Kangas might take more work. She is "a die-hard, one-eyed Saints fan," he said.

3. He's been tested against the bigger bodies​

Being a young, talented footballer from the west normally means featuring in the WAFL on the path towards the AFL, and the journey has been no different for Hardeman. The dashing defender played five games for Swan Districts' reserves side in 2022 before making his debut for the senior side in Round 1 of the 2023 season. Playing in his natural half-back position, Hardeman notched 10 disposals and six marks in the Swans' one-point loss to East Perth.

4. He's a back-half architect

There's always a sense of calmness when Harry Sheezel is in possession of the ball while scanning the field from his own goalsquare, and that feeling may just extend to Hardeman. Often relied upon to kick out from full-back for WA, Hardeman's penetrating left boot provided the perfect launching pad from defensive 50.
"From a football perspective, I went into the year knowing because of the position I play, which is half-back, I needed to improve my kicking accuracy," Hardeman told The West Australian in October. "I placed real emphasis on that during the pre-season and the start of the year and I was seeing results, playing with the senior boys."

5. He earned All-Australian honours​

After showcasing his speed, composure, and strong overhead abilities in his role for Western Australia in the under-18 National Championships, Hardeman was named at half-back in the competition's All-Australian side. He averaged 18.5 disposals, 5.8 marks, and 6.3 rebound 50s across four games, and was one of four WA representatives and three new Roos (along with Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma) to land a spot in the 23-player line-up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman - Swan Districts - 188cm & 80kg.

Composed intercepting defender who has good balance between attack and defence. His speed, positioning and long limbs allow him to impact defensively on a consistent basis. Hardeman is also a natural interceptor, he is a strong mark for his size and reads the play exceptionally well, combine that with a solid leap and you have all the hall marks of an elite intercept mark at AFL level. Athletically, he is a fantastic runner and covers the ground with ease, and he has an extra turn of foot too. It isn't game breaking pace, but it is enough that allows him to link up and be involved in possession chains. His composure imo is a real stand out feature in his game, he never looks rushed and often thinks his way through situations that allows his teammates to retain the ball up the ground. His disposal overall is very good. He has a nice left foot and he often kicks long while looking to take the game on. His short kicking is very solid. The only criticism I have here is that he can be a little bit one sided, and can sell himself into trouble trying to get onto his left side. One thing that isn't mentioned all that often is his leadership credentials, he has been in leadership groups all the way through juniors and captained the WA side this year. Over the course of the year he played at senior level in the WAFL (1 game), colts level, and was a mainstay in the WA side in the championships. His consistency at championship level earned him All Australian Under 18's honours.

North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman - Swan Districts - 188cm & 80kg.

Composed intercepting defender who has good balance between attack and defence. His speed, positioning and long limbs allow him to impact defensively on a consistent basis. Hardeman is also a natural interceptor, he is a strong mark for his size and reads the play exceptionally well, combine that with a solid leap and you have all the hall marks of an elite intercept mark at AFL level. Athletically, he is a fantastic runner and covers the ground with ease, and he has an extra turn of foot too. It isn't game breaking pace, but it is enough that allows him to link up and be involved in possession chains. His composure imo is a real stand out feature in his game, he never looks rushed and often thinks his way through situations that allows his teammates to retain the ball up the ground. His disposal overall is very good. He has a nice left foot and he often kicks long while looking to take the game on. His short kicking is very solid. The only criticism I have here is that he can be a little bit one sided, and can sell himself into trouble trying to get onto his left side. One thing that isn't mentioned all that often is his leadership credentials, he has been in leadership groups all the way through juniors and captained the WA side this year. Over the course of the year he played at senior level in the WAFL (1 game), colts level, and was a mainstay in the WA side in the championships. His consistency at championship level earned him All Australian Under 18's honours.
Left footer. Can see why Clarko was interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back