Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Really don't want to make this thread about religion and this has been covered already. A JW can't fully join the Church while playing competitive sport. This is a stretch but I'm trying to put it in a context that's easier to understand, imagine if Houli was forced to eat pig if he wanted to play AFL, he'd quit AFL no question. The difference with the situation people are suggesting with Rance is that it's not an AFL implemented policy or something the AFL can change, it's just a part of JW beliefs.

I really don't want to suppress any discussion but I don't want us to get into a religious debate so I hope we can move on from the Rance is a JW discussion and focus on Rance and his contract.

BigFooty has a Society, Religion and Politics board here but if you guys would like a safe place to discuss this, we can consider creating a Religion thread in the TCH. Close minded opinions and abuse would not be tolerated in there so if you want us to set this up with some ground rules, send one of the mods a PM and we'll discuss.

One thing I'd add to this mike is your analogy is pretty good for one reason

Some have said the church could use him as a promotional tool, but they cannot. Jw loathe sport. They believe it encourages self promotion and ambition above devotion to God, and that it fosters a warlike culture in our society.

Just as no Muslim church would endorse Houli if he has a professional hot dog eater, JW cannot promote professional sportsmen or women

One thing I'd add to this mike is your analogy is pretty good for one reason

Some have said the church could use him as a promotional tool, but they cannot. Jw loathe sport. They believe it encourages self promotion and ambition above devotion to God, and that it fosters a warlike culture in our society.

Just as no Muslim church would endorse Houli if he has a professional hot dog eater, JW cannot promote professional sportsmen or women

As a catholic, I am proud to represent my country as a professional hot do eater!

Did anyone see that hoax on one of the richmond fan pages on FB? Someone made it look like Rancey had made a twitter post saying he had retired, and then an article in the age saying he was retiring and it was effective immediately. I shat bricks.

Rumors are definitely true. We won't be losing him to any club but to off field interests.

Apparently club is confident they can convince him to sign on, with one option being taking the money earned and giving it to the Jehova's witnesses.

Not great news....from what I was told a few weeks ago I was supremely confident. Think the club has been stuffed around on this a bit.

Did anyone see that hoax on one of the richmond fan pages on FB? Someone made it look like Rancey had made a twitter post saying he had retired, and then an article in the age saying he was retiring and it was effective immediately. I shat bricks.

I saw it too. Some people deserve not to live.

Sent from my brain using ESP.

C'mon Rancey, don't let ancient caveman stories dictate what you do with your life in 2015! You're smarter than that buddy.

This is why religion is harmful and people of this day and age actually should question its' validity. Rance will be being taught that if he sacrifices his footy career in the now, that God will reward him in heaven for his faithfulness. What will ACTUALLY happen, is that poor old Alex will live the rest of his life regretting the decision deep down, and when he finally passes on, he'll be going absolutely nowhere and getting absolutely no reward whatsoever.

Become an atheist Rance, the truth of reality might be a bit harsh sometimes, but at least you know you're living by facts and evidence, and not some ancient caveman myth.

And if you wanna have faith in anything, put some faith into your footy club, and sign a big fat 5 year contract, then go win us a premiership or two. :thumbsu:

Heres the plan.
Sign him to a 5 year deal and then trade him to GWS for Sheil, WHE and their first.
Once the deal is done he can play for the first few rounds and than retire and follow his dreams outside of football.

Win Win for Rance and Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres the plan.
Sign him to a 5 year deal and then trade him to GWS for Sheil, WHE and their first.
Once the deal is done he can play for the first few rounds and than retire and follow his dreams outside of football.

And Cameron... we need a KPP

Heres the plan.

If we were really selfish we would let Rancey go and get him back for nothing after 3 years of non footy like Soldo for practically nothing, he probably has a rethink from new experiences.:p

But we really care for Rances interests and well being so we want him to stick around at Tigerland!!:)

This is what FA has done to our game.
We are worried that a 25 year old player in the prime of his career is going to leave our club. Not only leave but go and be a JH...?
When are we going to realise that contracts take time to sort out and that some people will actually want to focus on playing footy before they worry about it...

I would suggest they have decided to wait until their careers finish before joining. maybe its the pressure to do that, that is weighing on his mind?

Correct, It's an either or choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back