Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Chris keeping on keeping on as he always has and now getting a write up that's been long in coming.

And he cites Mr Squiggle, a favourite of mine and a far reaching influence of many an Australian Artist of my cohort.
Norman Hetherington was a genius. I used to know Nerissa Lea* an Adelaide Artist who grew up with his daughter, she told me many a story of the times.
My Mr Squiggle drawing series in the 1990's, never exhibited as they were walled off in the very personal vault but here is an example of what I was up to then.
2B (yes, the shakesperain grade) Pencil on paper. No title. circa 1994

Mr Squiggle man of straw.jpg

*https://australiangalleries.com.au/artists/nerissa-lea/

Last edited:
Great posting Pamcake1. I started in Egypt but took myself off to Greece, which is the reverse of my family story.

Glykeria is a staple of my occasional Saturday morning Hellenic Folk Rebetiko sessions.

192551.jpg 117277.jpg
Album Cover Design Files:

Some Girls was the first and only RS album that I bought on it's release in 1978.
To me it's the peak of RS after which there's a long slow slide down the other side of that mountain.
The artifice/concept is 'country style' but it also comes from genuinely lived experience so more authentic than the confections that came afterwards which start to ring very hollow the further along the track they go.

I have the original uncensored cover, designed by Peter Corriston with illustrations by Hubert Kretzschmar.
to me it looks like a lead on and elaboration of Andy Warhol's 'Sticky Fingers' cover design which along with The VU and Nico (Banana) album anticipating and mining the 'retro' aesthetic, that then became more obvious as time elapsed (eg. Cramps & B52's). I always loved the graphic design on the back more so than the front.

The design one of two very expensive and extensive Album Designs, the other is Physically Grafitti by Led Zep.
A time when the two biggest bands could stretch the envelope of Album Cover Designs, with cost being no object in the face of the band's will to realisation. Record industry bottom lines be dammed or 'they can get $#@%ed we're doin it'.
The artwork of the two albums combined with advances in production possibilities for the die cutting and layered precision printing...ergo peak album design in the 70's.

Byway;
Interesting photo shoot which was obvioulsy when they also shot the clip of the Stones song you posted here previously.

Good to see Chris keeping on keeping on as he always has and now getting a write up that's been long in coming.

And he cites Mr Squiggle, a favourite of mine and a far reaching influence of many an Australian Artist of my cohort.
Norman Hetherington was a genius. I used to know Nerissa Lea* an Adelaide Artist who grew up with his daughter, she told me many a story of the times.
My Mr Squiggle drawing series in the 1990's, never exhibited as they were walled off in the very personal vault but here is an example of what I was up to then.
2B (yes, the shakesperain grade) Pencil on paper. No title. circa 1994

View attachment 1936648

*https://australiangalleries.com.au/artists/nerissa-lea/
Coming back to this one from yesterday.
Mr. Squiggle was a trip. In retrospect, Mr. Squiggle was the first TV character that really spoke to me. I loved his manner and even as a child, got the idea that you had to turn things upside down to get the real picture. Through a modern lens and as a personal interpretation I think Mr. Squiggle was the first meaningful depiction of a ‘neurodiverse’ character on Australian television. Bill Steam Shovel used to crack me up with his ramshackle energy and Blackboards “Hurry Up” still finds its way into conversation. His impatient adult voice in response to childhood creativity and chaos a perfect metaphor for wider world and the transit of a life.

I would like to post more of the 1960’s black and white episodes, but I can’t find them.

Last edited:
Coming back to this one from yesterday.
Mr. Squiggle was a trip. In retrospect, Mr. Squiggle was the first TV character that really spoke to me. I loved his manner and even as a child, got the idea that you had to turn things upside down to get the real picture. Through a modern lens and as a personal interpretation I think Mr. Squiggle was the first meaningful depiction of a ‘neurodiverse’ character on Australian television. Bill Steam Shovel used to crack me up with his ramshackle energy and Blackboards “Hurry Up” still finds its way into conversation. His impatient adult voice in response to childhood creativity and chaos a perfect metaphor for wider world and the transit of a life.

I would like to post more of the 1960’s black and white episodes, but I can’t find them.

Probably why you can't find any black and white ones is the ABC taped over things and didn't preserve them.
I only ever saw the early ones in black and white.
Yes, Mr Squiggle was so polite and sweet and holding Miss Pat's hand without being ashamed to ask, which was necessary to anchor him to be able to draw.
327636_302651309757674_200445992_o.jpg

I loved Rocket too.

My 56 year old younger brother used to get scared by blackboard when he was a toddler and we were plonked in front of the TV.

1711256023713.jpeg

I loved that he viewed the world through one eye most of the time.

Vale Christine Huby 1942- March 2024
An exquisite painter in oils and a wonderful woman, who never got a guernsey from the Art world because she came from Toorak, (the wrong side of the tracks in reverse).
I knew her from 1987 when she was in undergrad at VCA as a mature age student who finally had the nerve to go to Art School.
In the face of opposition from her family, particularly her resentful grown son, 'the accountant' who thinks Artist's are freaks only after the money. So he controlled her through the money, she never thought that she was good enough.
Incredibly talented as a painter, she was always on the wrongside of what the fashion of the Art world was at the time.
She kept on painting throughout.
She did the work.

434212218_10232548988695643_2669962756438323600_n.jpg

The below are all very large oils on canvas and copyright of the Artist you can see more on her insta page under her name.

433174267_10232544916793848_6689306215915237675_n.jpg

432928242_10232544914473790_7706603198307663660_n.jpg

433117851_10232544914833799_1312836504561090546_n.jpg 432917887_10232544914913801_2642450913598391579_n.jpg

Last edited:
My 56 year old younger brother used to get scared by blackboard when he was a toddler and we were plonked in front of the TV.

View attachment 1938091

I loved that he viewed the world through one eye most of the time.

Below just turned up in the FB feed for the 21/3/2024 FYI; Norman Hetherington also taught High School Maths as a day job.

National Portrait Gallery

desntoSrpoMa2m0g7t f2:h06i1t8ta af5mh521 c955irfi8717652960h ·

433435486_810651734435631_4164420427034869095_n.jpg
Norman Hetherington OAM (and Friends), 2008 by Kate Rae.
Gift of the artist, Kate Rae and Mosman Art Gallery with the encouragement of the Hetherington family, 2015 © Kate Rae

It's World Puppetry Day and we would be remiss not to mention our favourite man from the moon, posing here with his creator!
Norman Hetherington OAM, cartoonist and puppeteer, was the creator of Mr Squiggle, one of the ABC’s longest-running children’s television programs.
Initially planned as a fill-in, Mr Squiggle ran for 40 years throughout which countless children sent in their ‘squiggles’ for conversion into completed drawings by the eponymous marionette – a ‘visitor from outer space’ with a pencil for a nose.
Hetherington voiced and manipulated Mr Squiggle himself; his wife, Margaret, wrote the scripts; and, for a time, daughter Rebecca appeared as Mr Squiggle’s assistant. An exhibition of Hetherington’s work was presented by Mosman Art Gallery in 2005, five years before his death at age 89." Ref; FB post

Methinks this is as true now as it has ever been.

“What you've gotta do
In this day and age
You gotta agitate
Educate
Organize
Take the time to live
Take the time to give
You gotta agitate
Educate
Organize”

June 1990
'Monotypes'
Invitation to my first solo exhibition at William Mora Galleries, Flinders lane Melbourne.
'Empty Men Series'
Concurrent with the above sentiment and sentiments of the times.
The 1980's when our cohort was seeing all the obvious signs of the direction the powers were pushing in.
The doubling down of supression after the 1970's and the rise of #@$% you greed.
Greed was not good. Dark times.

I don't have an image of the one 'Mr Squiggle' monotype I did, that was in this show as all documentation was then done on slides as it was the industry standard at the time and I have never got around to converting the archive to a digital format.
The image of 'Mr Squiggle' has him collapsed against a wall, surrounded by used syringes and on the nod.
The other bit of 'education' of the cohort, in those days of nihilistic frenzy that a lot of 'creatives' took to.
It was the one piece that sold in the show, to Dominic S. (who did the mixed tape featured earlier) he got it, he also saw it, he avoided it as did I.
Somewhere in the plan press interred is the secondary imprint that I took of the image (see montypes explained post).

The show was a heavy fisted statement, remarked upon at the time for it's potency but too leaden for purchase.
A lesson learned in the economics of exhibiting.

Ironical postscript, a now judge who was married in the gallery at the time my show was hanging has been pursuing this series to buy for the last two years. Obviously hasn't forgotten the imagery and perhaps given his line of work he now gets it.
I still have these prescient artworks but having swallowed the economic loss at the time and due to my contrariness or an entirely other agenda, they are no longer for sale.

IMG_8421.jpeg

'Un Petit Peu' 1989 Monotype 77.5 x 107.5cm copyright of the Artist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

August 1992
'Miss Polly had A Dolly......' exhibition William Mora Galleries, Flinders Lane Melbourne.

Might as well park the 2nd exhibition invite here while I'm at it.
Having learnt from the first show the message was no less feeble just sleighted underground, it was dressed up in the nostalgia of childhood toys and play.
This image, a Raggedy Ann doll, made by my Aunty Jean for me when I was 4 and now dressed in a balaclava that I made for costuming purpose, drawn in charcoal.
I was facinated that David Bowie used similar imagery of the button eyes over bandages in his last Blackstar video.
Bandages had also featured in some of the artworks of this show with my cipher.
Still don't know how to digest the prescience of my work then and his last...one weird zeitgeist apparition that coming out of the blue.

Miss Polly invite 2nd exhib 1992.jpeg

'Sick' 1991 Charcoal on paper Drawing 43 x 30cm. Copyright tof he Artist.

Last edited:
Aging as a Current Consumerable in an Ageist Social Framework.
Off cuffing coz:

Do you want to really live forever.
Some do some don't.
The search for the 'fountain of youth' has been an eternal goal of any generation in history, it's investigation is ramping up in the ethernet age and with the 21st century's technological advancements.

A/
Read Lionel Shriver the Motion of Body Through Space for a reality check.

B/Current topic du jour.

C/Also of interest referred to in the above article.

D/ Now the funeral song du jour......if you've been to one lately...so far two for me that had this song in the service in the last few years...I'm not buying it....it's a paen for the sentimental notion of eternity for the bereaved and denial of status in this ageist world.

Aside; As my sister cynically says on going to funerals of our cohort, "what song are they going to chose to ruin for me now". And the game people play of "what's the song you want played at your funeral'......a sign of narcisistic self definition in the 'Age of Narcissism'*
*Narcissism is apparently a requisite to live in the now.. we are all just narcisists by degrees...according to current psychology.

Aging as a Current Consumerable in an Ageist Social Framework.
Off cuffing coz:

Do you want to really live forever.
Some do some don't.
The search for the 'fountain of youth' has been an eternal goal of any generation in history, it's investigation is ramping up in the ethernet age and with the 21st century's technological advancements.

A/
Read Lionel Shriver the Motion of Body Through Space for a reality check.

B/Current topic du jour.

C/Also of interest referred to in the above article.

D/ Now the funeral song du jour......if you've been to one lately...so far two for me that had this song in the service in the last few years...I'm not buying it....it's a paen for the sentimental notion of eternity for the bereaved and denial of status in this ageist world.

Aside; As my sister cynically says on going to funerals of our cohort, "what song are they going to chose to ruin for me now". And the game people play of "what's the song you want played at your funeral'......a sign of narcisistic self definition in the 'Age of Narcissism'*
*Narcissism is apparently a requisite to live in the now.. we are all just narcisists by degrees...according to current psychology.

I agree. I don’t mind music at a funeral, but you need to be judicious. I would be far more inclined to request something deliberately subversive or ironic than anything that attempted to be moving or to promote reflection. “He resisted the mawkish, the twee and trite to the last” would be a nice way to be remembered, before someone played this at full volume:

PS - very disappointed with the obvious edit in this version. What happened to…

“Great party, where's Timmy?
He's smoking crack with Billy.” ??

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back