Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Not buying the current criticism, has been pretty good the last few weeks getting involved and finding targets in space.

He's doing more than what Zurhaar is producing and he hasn't accepted a 5 year deal (which I hope is taken off the table).

His best work is getting into space and finding targets in front of him. He's a very good kick.

Remember vs eagles r17 2021?

38 touches, 12 contested, 2 contested marks, 9 score involvements, 4 clearances, 547m gained, 2 goal assists and the match winner.

What happened?
They forgot he's a winger.
Liked his game today. He can kick a football. Unlike 12 of his teammates. Time to send Tucker to the VFL & get Sleevo on the wing? But gee Sleevo has me bamboozled - I've written him off 5 times & I'm tipping I'll be putting a line through him again within the month.
I've had the quote-reply above in drafts since yesterday. Stephenson's best games have been on the wing. People think he's a high half forward because he kicks goals but honestly think he's better running up and down the field all day. It suits his, um, uncontested nature, and precise field kicking into F50 is one of the areas we suck at. Being a confidence player means he also needs to get his hands on the ball early so he feels in the game, and there's more chance of that on the wing.

(I do acknowledge he needs to find a way to get more into the game sometimes, and a bit more work on the tackle bag wouldn't go astray. Also he did have several poor games earlier this year and deserved to be dropped.)

The football smarts and skills don’t leave you that’s for sure. He’s a fantastic kick, it’s a shame his body has already lost some zip.

He’s such an interesting player. I hope he can be more consistent and at least provide what he did today. Love to know what’s behind the inconsistency and average efforts sometimes.

He's a very frustrating player, I don't know what to make of him. Been a supporter but a couple of weeks ago after a run of poor games I was ready to wipe my hands of him. He then comes out and puts in two solid performances, not game breaking but solid. This is the minimum output the coaches should expect of him. With ball in hand there is possibly no-one better in the side, his kicking is so good. Eternally frustrating. We've seen him string a couple of good games before and then go missing again. Hope this is a turning point. I like'd the fact that Clarkson backed him in after some poor efforts and Buckley's criticism.

He was a success story under noble, he was put onball. Ziebell going back was also not too bad.

Stephenson needs to be running, he is mercurial but he can find the space and did i say he needs to be running.

He is not your regimented lead, runback, lead type. He needs to be running dashing weaving dodging, in other words he needs to be put in the thick of action so he is stagnant.

People might say but what if he is not chasing or tackling? Well f_____ put him in constant danger so that he is forced to do everything at all times.

He is a wingman. All wingman are cats. But he is a cat that can kick which separates him from 15 of his teammates

His decision making and ball use far exceeds everyone else we’ve played on the wing this year.
I’d take 15 touches of his over 40 from Tucker.

His decision making and ball use far exceeds everyone else we’ve played on the wing this year.
I’d take 15 touches of his over 40 from Tucker.
Even after 3 and a half years in a garbage system, he still has so many of our midfielders covered for ball handling in transition, from the 3 years he spent at Collingwood.
I actually think he’s most effective getting the ball at pace, streaming towards goals.

When he first came to North he was a machine in the midfield and even in the mini renaissance 2021 period, some of our best footy involving LDU, Thomas, Stephenson, Jy and Cunners was irresistible.

He was right amongst it.
All the important scoring chains involved him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys

Has he been playing on a wing lately? Only seen snippets but seems to be getting more of it and a lot further up.
Still high half forward but is working very hard up the ground to link up

Ideally plays closer to goal but the ball is rarely there so for now has to play higher to be involved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back