List Mgmt. Poll: If we get picks 2 AND 3, who do we take?

If we get pick 1 and 2, who do we take?

• Reid and Curtin

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • Reid and Watson

Votes: 61 33.3%
  • Reid and McKercher

Votes: 38 20.8%
  • Reid and trade out 2 (elaborate)

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Other (elaborate)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A poll branching off from the draft thread.

To be clear its a question about what you would do, not what you think the club would do.

And yes, it'll probably be a short-lived discussion given the likelihood we beat Gold Coast on the weekend.

But in any case, for me... head says Reid and Curtin but gut says Reid and Watson.

In an ideal world, we'd trade pick 2 with WA's pick 3 + ~21, allowing us to service our KPD needs with the Port pick and either Edwards or Archer Reid with WA's second rounder.

But I doubt WC would go for that, so I'll probably settle with just McCabe or Murphy with the Port pick.

I'd be tempted to do that too, especially if it gave us a good shot at Watson and O'Sullivan.
Yeah its a massive call, I'd think long and hard about it but in the end I'd probably keep pick 1 and just take Reid.
I'd probably go Watson or Curtin/O'Sullivan at pick 2 as there is midfield talent next year and as much as I like McKercher/Duursma/Caddy as well, we're not going to get some of them unless we upgrade the Port 1st perhaps.

Nah I wouldn't do that. I'd make Melbourne do the heavy lifting and get another top 7 pick to go with pick 4/5.

If we can get 4 first rounders in this years draft, we could get something like

McKercher
Sanders (NGA)
O'Sullivan
Edwards
Ollie Murphy

This could be our 2025 team

FB: Archer Murphy Logue

HB: Bergman O'Sullivan ???

C: Scott LDU (C) McKercher

F: Edwards Wardlaw Sanders

HF: Thomas Comben Sheezel

FF: Zurhaar Larkey George

INT: Simpkin Ford Curtis Powell

SUB: Phillips

Next year use our first rounder on a back flanker with speed, good decision making and foot skills

Answering as a fan, I would want Watson. I just like the idea of taking a riskier pick once we have Reid at pick 1 and especially if we're getting Sanders, as well. If we have two reliable picks then get the guy who can bring something unique to our side.

If we only had pick 2 and nothing else then I'd probably take McKercher because he's the more reliable option.

If we can trade pick 2 back and still get Watson then I'd obviously do that, too.

Answering as a fan, I would want Watson. I just like the idea of taking a riskier pick once we have Reid at pick 1 and especially if we're getting Sanders, as well. If we have two reliable picks then get the guy who can bring something unique to our side.

If we only had pick 2 and nothing else then I'd probably take McKercher because he's the more reliable option.

If we can trade pick 2 back and still get Watson then I'd obviously do that, too.

Do we really need Watson with the forward line we already have as per above?

If we can get 4 first rounders in this years draft, we could get something like

McKercher
Sanders (NGA)
O'Sullivan
Edwards
Ollie Murphy

This could be our 2025 team

FB: Archer Murphy Logue

HB: Bergman O'Sullivan ???

C: Scott LDU (C) McKercher

F: Edwards Wardlaw Sanders

HF: Thomas Comben Sheezel

FF: Zurhaar Larkey George

INT: Simpkin Ford Curtis Powell

SUB: Phillips

Next year use our first rounder on a back flanker with speed, good decision making and foot skills
You're trading Reid for O'Sullivan, Murphy and pick 17 next year?

Just keep Reid, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take Reid

Trade 2 to WC for 3 and 20/21 so they get Curtin.

McKercher at 3 pray for Ollie Murphy at 21
Yep if we’ve got mckercher curtin and Watson even pegging at 2 then we most certainly do the trade with west coast to drop back to 3 for the extra draft capital.

It’s a no brainer

Reid and Watson for me , both match winners who can turn a game in a quarter. Both have the requisite confidence / arrogance that will piss off opposition players and supporters … as a side bonus they will also draw supporters to our games .
This for me also

With the added bonus they are both victorians And watto has close ties to a few of our players already through school and Vic metro

My head tells me KPD. Curtin and Reid for sure. 100%
But I voted McKercher just because a huge factor is our delivery coming off the the wing and half back has been awful. For over a decade.

The link from half back by McKercher would do so much in terms of two way running and delivery. And it would also free up Sheezel.

But like someone else said, McKercher is a mid who would be playing at half back. Well I guess the same could be said for Sheezel.

But then what happens to Goater/ Bergman.

My head tells me stay away from anything 180-186 from the forward line, midfield and backline.

* it. To simplify things. Is there anyone in the top ten that plays like Bergman from Port?

I look at it that we take the guys that project the best at afl level

Reid is that so we take him at 1. Seeing him out mark O’Sullivan put things into perspective for me. As soup said he can play as a pseudo key forward, along with all our other 3rd talls. Or down back in 2024.

I’m really excited by sanders. His clean hands, hip swivel and little bursts off pace, and great foot skills project as a 200 gamer to me.

So pick 2………. It has to be Curtin for me assuming he is keen. If there’s any doubt he will let us know.

At that point we might be able to strong arm west coast for their second rounder for pick 2. Then at 3 I’d be considering

• Mckercher
  • Watson
  • O’Sullivan

O’Sullivan’s ability to impact defensively worries me. His marking isn’t great. He does move unbelievably well for such a big lump. He seems to make good decisions and gets involved in rebounds. He’s like a poor man’s Curtin in that defending isn’t their strong suit, but they are good or great on rebound.

That makes me then wonder why you wouldn’t just go Mckercher if ability to rebound is the prime trait you are getting. Some day he’s best around the contest as opposed to wing or off half back.

Watson obviously fills a need. I’m excited to see if he becomes the star at afl level many predict. I personally don’t think he will and won’t kick over 300 goals. Could be wrong for sure.

So I’d go Mckercher.

Hold onto next years first, whereas I’d previously advocated trading it for
Gold Coasts. Hope that we make enough progress next year to be able to attract some premium, gap filling proven talent to trade for.

1: Reid
2: Curtin or Mckercher
NGA Sanders
14: Archer Reid, Edwards, or Murphy

Went Reid+Watson but lineball with Reid+Curtin.

Reid is considered a lock and I'd be reasonably confident Watson can at least become an effective footballer in a small forward role. Best case he's a matchwinner who can go upfield too.

Whilst I talked up Curtin there is that slight hesitation that I think hoffseason gains touched on, as to what he becomes exactly. Is he that very tall mid/unicorn? Is he good enough to be a set and forget KPD and do spend that kind of pick on one?

Would be very happy to get Curtin but that was the critieria I used to give Watson the nod.

For me - we've had so little luck finding KPs later in the draft, so it's a no-brainer to take Curtin.

(If he's comfortable moving to Melbourne that is)

Personally I voted for picking Harley Reid and trading pick 2. I talked yesterday in the National draft thread about my wariness toward drafting Curtin at 2, and I have the same feelings for Watson.

I believe McKercher is the 2nd best open pool draft pick and if we were going Reid and McKercher I don’t like the fit for us. If we had picks 2 and 3 I’d be selecting McKercher or just straight pick 2 I’d be selecting McKercher.

But as Souup has mentioned, McKercher is not a wingman, he is an inside midfielder. I am sure we can play him in other positions but he will be best at inside mid. That will also be the case for Reid. We must think of 5 years time not just next year. We cannot select both of them and then fulfill the amount of needs with high end picks over the next few years as we would like.

But I think if we do not select McKercher we must trade back for Watson. Watson is falling - moreso because Curtin & Duursma are rising, and I wouldn’t select any of them at 2. Trade back to Gold Coast or Melbourne let’s say, pick up 4/5, pick Watson and secure another first round pick. if we could get a draft of Reid, Watson, Murphy (with the extra first), Hardeman & Goad with Sellers in the rookie draft, I think that covers all our bases - look to Fisher & Stephens + mature KPD and that would be a great offseason, filling key pillars, even if we don’t get Sanders. Can Melbourne or Port’s first get us Murphy, I don’t know, I hope so. But I’d prefer, two of Watson, Murphy & Hardeman (interchange with HBF prospect you like there) over Curtin & Hardeman (interchange with HBF prospect you like there).

Lots of IFs though.

Back