Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

I was excited when we recruited Stephenson, at his best he is an exciting goal kicker. I don't know what has gone wrong for him. I sat above the interchange bench yesterday and coming on and off the field he was moving so slowly, barely able to jog. It really stood out from the other players who would get on and off the field quickly. I was surprised when he was selected for this game because his form in the VFL has been ordinary. Maybe he was selected because they wanted more experience in the team. He needs to find form quickly.

Caught up with a friend at the game yesterday who had a bit of hearsay from someone who knows Jaidyn a bit off field, and said he is just not interested in doing the work. If that’s right, it looks like he’s about to find out where trying to skate by on talent gets you at this level these days.

As a regular Collingwood watcher I said at the time that I wasn’t interested in any kind of trading that would swap Ben Brown for Jaidyn, but once it happened, obviously I really wanted it to work out and was encouraged by every game where he showed a bit. Yesterday he did put a bit of pressure on later in the game and did some nice things that don’t get stats, but it’s so much less than he is capable of. And the time in the last quarter when he got the ball in the backline, touched in on the ground then hand balled it to a nearby teammate, he looked so timid, a shadow of the player he has been at times. Really disappointing.
I was told lazy last year. Fits with what you were told too. Said he only does what he has to do to get bye - club puts no pressure on him to do better. Sorta fits with the constant claims that we train poorly.

Just been really disappointing.

He's not capable enough to perform well in a team that needs support as opposed to a team that can provide it. I think he's done in all honesty.

Triple M radio were joking about the fact he had not touched it almost up to half time (he had one disposal just before the main break). That's just embarrassing.

Ford plays with more intensity and kicks goals regularly. It's night and day difference.

I was told lazy last year. Fits with what you were told too. Said he only does what he has to do to get bye - club puts no pressure on him to do better. Sorta fits with the constant claims that we train poorly.
How is this allowed to happen in a professional sporting club?

It’s no wonder we’re so far off it.

How is this allowed to happen in a professional sporting club?

It’s no wonder we’re so far off it.
We are paying for mistakes of the past where players were recruited out of desperation.

Hopefully when these contracts are up they just clean them out.

Players like Drury and Lazarro are limited, but at least they give their all and play for the jumper.

Too many of these players have seen North as an option to collect an easy pay cheque. Until that changes the club is going to be anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

We are paying for mistakes of the past where players were recruited out of desperation.

Hopefully when these contracts are up they just clean them out.

Players like Drury and Lazarro are limited, but at least they give their all and play for the jumper.

Too many of these players have seen North as an option to collect an easy pay cheque. Until that changes the club is going to be anchored to the bottom of the ladder.
Stephens and Fisher definitely fit in this category.

Genuine cats.

And he is mentoring Duursma. Need to keep him away from him
Is this true? FFS, I thought our dream team footy coaching team / department were meant to know what they were doing?

I have been a Jaidyn defender in the past but yesterday was close to the most inept , non impacting game by anyone (not just him) I think I have seen. Embarrassing indictment on the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am old enough to be Jaidyns Dad and I don’t ever want to be the sort of bloke that goes online and criticises who are essentially kids anonymously.

So this is i think is the best way to put it, for whatever reason the kid is not willing to demonstrate the sort of effort and willpower it takes to benefit our football club.

He is young and will have many opportunities and chapters in life. But right now I don’t think continuing to represent our club with his current output is good for either party.

Probably agree to walk away, settle the financial component with the club, go try something different in life and open up a list spot to a kid who is genuinely serious about making it as an AFL footballer.

Bucks just roasted Sleevo. Can’t quote exactly what he said, but the context was around the passion/effort/blood, sweat and tears Jacko Archer puts in for the Jumper and Sleevo getting re-selected and put the effort/game he did in.
Yes saw that. Torched us over nobody getting around J Archer on the bench after he clearly felt terrible for giving away a 50m; then queried our standards as club while we keep playing J Stephenson.

Yes saw that. Torched us over nobody getting around J Archer on the bench after he clearly felt terrible for giving away a 50m; then queried our standards as club while we keep playing J Stephenson.
I vividly remember that 50m Jacko gave away and thinking, this kid just bleeds for our jumper, he was honestly distraught when he realised he just dropped the ball.

Harsh but fair…..it’s where we are as a club at the moment…….but yeah ld take Jackson over Stevo at the moment….plays for the jumper….and l agree someone on the bench should have had chat with him….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back