Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

My only conclusion is it my be slippery and they have gone him over Pink.

That doesn’t explain him over Ford. Mind boggling
Cant even get his hands on a dry ball!

Seriously only reason i can see him playing is that after bucks called him out during the week clarko has given him a chance to respond,

I have been thinking for a few weeks now that Clarko has begun taking the piss at selection - now with Sleevo selected again we have outright proof that he is. Our standards are officially in the joke stage now and they cannot be defended.

Very disappointing and really brings into question where Clarko and the coaching panel are at.

Last edited:
Cant even get his hands on a dry ball!

Seriously only reason i can see him playing is that after bucks called him out during the week clarko has given him a chance to respond,
Which puts him under even more pressure. And I'm not sure that will be better for him, tbh.

Hard to believe where it's got to for Stevo considering his highs like this game against West Coast a few years ago where he absolutely dominated.

So much natural talent but at this stage it looks like he's on borrowed time at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe where it's got to for Stevo considering his highs like this game against West Coast a few years ago where he absolutely dominated.

So much natural talent but at this stage it looks like he's on borrowed time at AFL level.

It was the mentality of the group back then.

To go from getting done by 128 on Good Friday and Josh Bruce kicking 10 to becoming the 'best wooden spoon team' explains how the mentality and character of the group got better as the season went on. We even challenged Melbourne at their absolute peak. There was enough upside and still enough senior experience that it meant we weren't completely useless.

In saying that, when we go less experienced and younger in 2022, 2023 and now 2024, we become vulnerable and guys like Sleevo are crumbling being under more pressure because there aren't many 28+ year olds left to steady the ship now. It's all up to the mid-20s bracket to lead the way which unfortunately hasn't gone well.

By ripping the band aid off, we've seen the cracks become wide open holes and it's an eye-opener to understanding that this group, if it were to move forward, needs a heap of mature age experience or even veterans on a couple years just so the rollercoaster ride isn't unbearable.

The challenge, perhaps for Stephenson is whether he can overcome the fact he doesn't have the support he had earlier in his career at North. Where does he breakthrough and prove to us he still has it?

He's a bit of an embarrassment right now but that can change real quick if he truly wants it.

Guarantee he would look more lively at West Coast or another team with a healthy group of senior players that do the hard stuff week in, week out.

They are the ones you need when you're struggling.

without looking at the ins and outs all year i feel like the match committee gives most blokes 2 games at least do something! not many 1 game and out selections. im prob wrong there might be a few

Conditions suit him and he's lifted accordingly.

Done his job today. One of the few on the park who can confidently say that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back